The All New Jeep Cherokee is Now #1 in Australia

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Check it out! I just read an article on AllPar where it highlights the Australian magazine Drive.com.au picking the all new Jeep Cherokee as the top 4×4 in the country. Surprisingly, the number one before that was none other than the Jeep Grand Cherokee who held the title for three years and of course, this means it also topped the Range Rover Sport which most would assume would be top dog there just because. Anyway, I just thought I would share the news. :cool:

Drive: Cherokee new #1
by David Zatz

Australian magazine Drive.com.au has picked the Jeep Cherokee as its top 4×4, knocking the Grand Cherokee from the perch it’s held for the past three years, and besting the Range Rover Sport.

Cherokee comes just in time to rescue Jeep’s record, as Range Rover bested the Grand Cherokee this year.

crossover.jpg

The magazine considered going off-road, towing, and handling on-road motoring. They claimed that the Grand Cherokee Laredo Diesel now “feels tired in newer company” and pointed to “an appalling outbreak of recalls.”

They did praise the Grand Cherokee’s VM engine for its “abundant torque” and impressive, “achievable” fuel economy. It was dinged on handling, a four-star safety rating, and standard equipment (given its AU$53,000 price).

The Range Rover Sport was tested in diesel form, TDV6 SE, and cost more than twice as much as the Grand Cherokee. However, it had “unsporty on-road characteristics” with too much body roll. It, too, was praised for its engines and towing.

The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, however, won as “an all rounder,” both comfortable on road and “more than capable away from the black-top.” Its departure and approach angle beat the Range Rover. This car was tested with the 3.2 liter V6. They complained about fuel economy and the nine-speed automatic’s programming while praising its interior, stability control, and five-star safety rating; towing is the same as Grand Cherokee.

Lower numbers were better; the Cherokee Trailhawk was scored a total of 8, the Range Rover 12, and the Grand Cherokee 16.

The Cherokee, as tested, was AU$48,000 (US$39,717), and used 10l/100km (24 mpg); the Range Rover, as tested, was AU$112,100 (US$92,681) and used 7.3l/100km (32 mpg); the Grand Cherokee was AU$53,500 (US$43,856) and used 7.5l/100km (31 mpg). Thanks, Hemi265.

Article found on AllPar here:
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2014/12/drive-cherokee-new-1

JAGS

Hooked
These things got a lot of flak early on. I've since seen several on the road and they are not a bad looking crossover vehicles. Design was not meant for the wrangler die-hards. Bringing a younger dynamic into the Jeep brand isn't a bad thing overall. Similar to our talks regarding the renegade.

Wizard

Many of the Jeep models are selling well in Australia, being considered good value for money by many.

Top Bottom