Drag link flip question

Manvan

A friend has a 2014 jkur with a 3-1/2" rock crawler suspension, fox shocks on 37's all professionally installed by 4 wheel parts. He also only has 3000 mi on the jeep. He is complaining that his jeep doesn't feel stable at highway speeds on a washboard surface. Also want to mention that this lift comes with the front track bar. So my question is can you just add a drag link flip to this setup to get rid of bump steer?

Manvan

No track bar bracket. It has an adjustable track bar in the stock location. I didn't get to drive his jeep and I may not be able to describe what he meant. First thing that came to mind was bump steer with that much lift. On a lift like that with the replacement track bar, do you still need to raise the track bar to correct for bump steer?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
No track bar bracket. It has an adjustable track bar in the stock location. I didn't get to drive his jeep and I may not be able to describe what he meant. First thing that came to mind was bump steer with that much lift. On a lift like that with the replacement track bar, do you still need to raise the track bar to correct for bump steer?

If you have an adjustable track bar you wouldn't need a bracket. Most run a stock track bar and a bracket so the drag link and track bar can remain In line.

Manvan

Does that mean I would have to shorten his track bar and install a relocation bracket to take advantage of a drag link flip?

Manvan

Forgot to mention that the lift came with lower control arms. I'm assuming the caster is set correctly.

MarkW13

Forgot to mention that the lift came with lower control arms. I'm assuming the caster is set correctly.

Never assume. You could shorten the adjustable track bar, but the factory one will be easier because there is no adjustment.

They key is to keep the track bar and the drag link on the same horizontal plane. If you dont they may contact each other as mentioned above.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I have a 3.5 RK lift (Xfactor with their drag link flip kit - replaces all stock suspension components). I installed it myself and did my own home alignment until I could get it into the Jeep dealer for a final alignment. There aren't many shops that do this in Rhode Island. When I drove it around town I had the same feelings when I got up over 50mph. I then had the local Jeep dealer (who also installs after market lift kits) do the final alignment. Since then I haven't had any issues due to the alignment. My ride issues were due to a sub par alignment, I recommend that your friend have the installing shop or another qualified shop check his.

On a side note, the ride is a little harsher (compared to stock) due to the poly bushings in the control arms.

-Matt

Tcdawg

Does that mean I would have to shorten his track bar and install a relocation bracket to take advantage of a drag link flip?

If you want to flip the DL, you will need a raised TB bracket. You will need to adjust the track bar length a little.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A friend has a 2014 jkur with a 3-1/2" rock crawler suspension, fox shocks on 37's all professionally installed by 4 wheel parts. He also only has 3000 mi on the jeep. He is complaining that his jeep doesn't feel stable at highway speeds on a washboard surface. Also want to mention that this lift comes with the front track bar. So my question is can you just add a drag link flip to this setup to get rid of bump steer?

Being that the jeep doesn't feel stable at highway speeds, this is most likely caused by a lack of positive caster. I hope you don't take this the wrong way but 4wheelparts is far from what I would call a "professional installer" and if you're going to assume anything, I would put my money on that they didn't get your caster set right. A drag link flip will help improve handling BUT, you will need to make sure to install a track bar relocation at the same time. It is CRITICAL to keep both your drag link and track bar parallel to each other.

Top Bottom