Jeep stabilizer bracket build.

Stevengrill

My buddy was putting a new steering stabilizer on his JK and needed the tie rod mounting bracket. $50 + $14 for S&H online was best we could find. I told him that was crazy! Below is a series of pictures showing you how I made his stabilizer tie rod mounting bracket.

(New to the forum, after a search of the forums I figured this was best place to put my post. Sorry if it's not.)

I first started with a raw piece of round stock with and O.D. Of 3" and length of just greater than 2"

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418575559.329805.jpg

Grabbing it in my vise with a v block I then skimmed the top.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418575614.973410.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418575626.756461.jpg

Flipped it over and skimmed the back side bringing the part into 2" in length. I also put a 3/8" hole down center (not shown) so I can then bolt it to my 1,2,3 block for a quick fixture hold.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418575702.576422.jpg

After that I brought the outside into a diameter of 2 1/4" with .050" step on either side. The flats are so the stabilizer has a flat spot to Bolt to, and also so when I skimmed and put holes in I would have flats to indicate the part.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418575807.464402.jpg

After finishing length and O.D. I vise back up into my part, and indicated it for my center. Drilled and circular interpolated my I.D to 1.375" (factory JK tie rod O.D.).

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418575933.103150.jpg

After finishing contours and getting the shape of the part, I laid it down (on my flats) so I could pop my holes in. Six 1/4-20 bolts and one M12x1.75 for the shock. I counter bored my 6 holes to a full clean up. Then drilled all the way through for my bolt threads. Then I drilled half way through for my bolt hole clearance. Then I put in the M12.

After that program was finished I hand tapped everything. Doing the 1/4-20 at this stage is nice because the clearance holes are a good guide for straight threads.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576116.236234.jpg

After that I scribed a line and proceeded to cut my part in half (this part always makes me nervous!)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576178.404596.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576194.123683.jpg

After that I needed to clean up my surfaces. Grabbed both halves in the vise on a set of parallels and skimmed for a full clean up.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576298.854241.jpg

Next I media blasted my part

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576397.251788.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576407.246152.jpg

Turned out great, and looked awesome.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576436.269766.jpg

Next, my buddy decided to paint it black.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576523.443888.jpg

Several coats later it was ready for install.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576545.137821.jpg

After some measuring and checking clearances it was good to go!!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418576599.859507.jpg

Hope you all found this to be a good write up! First one ever, ha.

#builtnotbought

LOL

Just kidding.

Love the fact you built the part and documented it. I totally dig stuff like this. Even if it's a complete waste on a part that's not needed.

I always said the build is the funnest part of a project.

dannymalkin

A lot of expensive equipment in those photos... Actually turned out nice though. It reminds me of a roll bar clamp.

David1tontj

Ok.. I'm gonna go ahead and try to build this one too.. Looks like it was way cheaper and more time efficient than spending 64 bucks! Ok.. So I think I need to buy a few more tools... I'm sure it'll be worth it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that all the equipment you have costs way more than it is to order the same clamp. Most of us don't own a shop like you do...........

Stevengrill

Is this some kind of joke?
Why would it be a joke?

A lot of expensive equipment in those photos... Actually turned out nice though. It reminds me of a roll bar clamp.

Thanks! Only took me an hour and a half to make so why not. Better off spending money saved on something else

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that all the equipment you have costs way more than it is to order the same clamp. Most of us don't own a shop like you do...........

Most people don't have welders and band saws, but people still write post of control arm builds.. I suppose all posts need to be like this?
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4349-MAINTENANCE-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Rear-Brake-Pad-Replacement
#Loltroll

Had fun making it and thought it would've been cool to share. Rough community here.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Why would it be a joke?

Thanks! Only took me an hour and a half to make so why not. Better off spending money saved on something else

Most people don't have welders and band saws, but people still write post of control arm builds.. I suppose all posts need to be like this?
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4349-MAINTENANCE-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Rear-Brake-Pad-Replacement
#Loltroll

Had fun making it and thought it would've been cool to share. Rough community here.

Lol wtf? That is brake pad replacement. Guess we know who the troll is. :crazyeyes:

ClarksAdventures

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418586182.590058.jpg

Everybody should make a friend with a machinist. We get to play with some pretty cool toys, and make some awesome stuff.

Trade me/them for a couple beers and I'll bet you can get some custom parts you've always been wanting in return.

Stevengrill

View attachment 114754

Everybody should make a friend with a machinist. We get to play with some pretty cool toys, and make some awesome stuff.

Trade me/them for a couple beers and I'll bet you can get some custom parts you've always been wanting in return.

EXACTLY! You can seriously make anything, so why not. All I've been making lately is die pads, and as fun ( and I mean FUN) as 3Ding is, it was nice to make a simple bracket. lol.

P.S. that part looks pretty sweet, curious what its for.

Rccrwlr

While we all know the cost of tools to do something as simple as this out ways the cost of buying if you don't have them, Isn't this just like installing a lift your self to save the labor? If he had to pay for a machinist to do this the cost wouldn't be in his favor.

Nice work. To bad he painted it

clownman

I think thats bad ass!!! If I still had access to CNC's or even a simple Bridgport and lathe I totally would have built my own, vice paying 60 bucks for one like I had to!!!! It not always about the money, its about the experience and learning new a new process or tooling setup. Yea not everyone can afford tools like that (most likely he works somewhere and did this as a side job) but hey I still have a few machinist contacts and being able to call them up and have them build me shit is way better than buying it. At least until I can get my own machines!!!

Mirexx

I think thats bad ass!!! If I still had access to CNC's or even a simple Bridgport and lathe I totally would have built my own, vice paying 60 bucks for one like I had to!!!! It not always about the money, its about the experience and learning new a new process or tooling setup. Yea not everyone can afford tools like that (most likely he works somewhere and did this as a side job) but hey I still have a few machinist contacts and being able to call them up and have them build me shit is way better than buying it. At least until I can get my own machines!!!

Amen brother. It was a fun experience!

Top Bottom