Simple electrical upgrade

neZZr

Just thought I would share a slick option for adding electrical circuits inside your jeep. Especially good when you're as anal about keeping things factory looking as I am.

First I installed a nifty fuse block from Fuzeblocks.com. It's designed for motorcycles, but works perfectly here too. It only handles 10A per circuit / 30A total, but if you need more than that you probably already know better ways to accomplish this. I still like the compact package, and it works great for my needs.

It has six circuits, each of which can be constant or ignition switched just by moving the fuse for that circuit. I made a simple aluminum bracket to hold it in relatively easy reach behind he glovebox. Right now it's supplying my heated seats, and soon I'll hardwire a phone charger. Eventually I'll power the CB from here as well.

I ran 12awg straight to the battery with an inline fuse, and because of where I installed it, the wiring is very short. Of course you can also see the sPod wiring as well. It all tucks in nicely out of the way with a factory appearance. It's not even in the way of replacing the battery! I tapped the factory power outlet for the ignition triggering.

Any questions I'd be happy to answer. Just thought I would share this cool setup I used as I hadn't seen anyone use this in a jeep before. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418585983.209260.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418585994.348836.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418586005.871967.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418586016.849613.jpg

RubiHB

Very clean work. I like it. Most don't have the eye or patience for clean electrical work. You good sir, most deffinetly do.

LeighP

Nicely done. I used a small 6 item fuse/distribution box wired to the battery in my engine bay.

neZZr

I don't see the fuzeblock as an sPod alternative at all. I'm using it along side my sPod which provides individually switched circuits outside the vehicle, whereas this gives me several fused circuits inside the cab which can be constant or switched by ignition.

The Bussman setup is certainly similar in concept when used inside the cab, and definitely more robust in capacity and versatile for switching needs... I'd point back to my statement above about there being better ways to do what I did, depending on your needs.

If you don't need really high current capacity, and don't need individually switched circuits, the fuzeblock is a great option IMO!

Rccrwlr

I don't see the fuzeblock as an sPod alternative at all. I'm using it along side my sPod which provides individually switched circuits outside the vehicle, whereas this gives me several fused circuits inside the cab which can be constant or switched by ignition.

The Bussman setup is certainly similar in concept when used inside the cab, and definitely more robust in capacity and versatile for switching needs... I'd point back to my statement above about there being better ways to do what I did, depending on your needs.

If you don't need really high current capacity, and don't need individually switched circuits, the fuzeblock is a great option IMO!

I guess I don't see a necessity to have 2 separate fuse blocks. I ran lines into the cab from the bussman that is under the hood. My thought is to have my fused links all in one spot. But that's just my take on it. Bussman setup offers switched with relays and fused direct and if Ya want you can connect an ignition circuit as well in place of the direct battery.

Good to see different setups that may work better for others. Thanks for sharing.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Looks like a simple way to add low consumption fused power that does not need a relay.

neZZr

I guess I don't see a necessity to have 2 separate fuse blocks. I ran lines into the cab from the bussman that is under the hood. My thought is to have my fused links all in one spot. But that's just my take on it. Bussman setup offers switched with relays and fused direct and if Ya want you can connect an ignition circuit as well in place of the direct battery.

Good to see different setups that may work better for others. Thanks for sharing.

For my use, it saved me from running several power wires through the firewall for each accessory from the sPod or a Bussman installed under the hood. Instead I just have one power/ground, or I could have even just grounded inside the cab and only run one wire.

The sPod just takes care of things under the hood that need to be individually switchable. From the fuzeblock I'll power my heated seats, CB radio, phone charger, etc. Those things don't need separate switching or lots of current.

Not disagreeing with you, just explaining my rationalization for having the separate fuzeblock along with the sPod. The Bussman would work just as well, it's just overkill for what I needed when I already have the sPod.

Top Bottom