Pioneer NEX head unit into '15 JKU

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Well I finally picked up a new JK Rubicon Unlimited in Anvil, instead of the red I was looking at. After having the 430N Connect unit in my Grand Cherokee wk2, and the RER MyGig unit in my '08 JKU Rubicon, I specifically got this JK without the audio upgrades so I could get a decent aftermarket nav unit installed. I've been considering the Pioneer NEX series head units that have Apple Car Play on them. The iPhone integration seems like a pretty cool feature to have. With that said, this is the unit I'm looking at,

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-...F8&qid=1418606010&sr=8-2&keywords=pioneer+nex

It has nav on it, and Sirius, plus it has Car Play. Has anyone run into installing an aftermarket head unit into a '12 and up JK? How do you go about keeping the functionality of the steering wheel controls? How about the center console USB plug? Can that be tied into the Pioneer unit? Does the factory OEM NAV/SAT radio antenna get used on the Pioneer unit? Do the factory speakers get rewired to hook up directly to the head unit? Or is there a harness that is plug and play for the head unit and existing speaker harness?

I have the base audio package in my JK with no sub. Installing an aftermarket head unit into a JK is new to me. Actually any aftermarket audio equipment is new to me. Thanks for any help.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I forget what it is called, but there is a programmable adapter for the buttons to work with aftermarket radios. I am sure the radio would have to support it too, but I would think that one would. I would think that radio would support better speakers as well (2 ohm vs 4 ohm). There are adapters for plugging in the wiring harness too.

I wanted to do the same, but had to take a jkur with a 430N or wait to order a 14. I procrastinated on ordering a 13, so..... I am no radio expert, but did some research for options.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd recommend a PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Adapter. I know these have all the steering wheel controls, just be sure to get the correct unit for your model Jeep / head unit

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Well I finally picked up a new JK Rubicon Unlimited in Anvil, instead of the red I was looking at. After having the 430N Connect unit in my Grand Cherokee wk2, and the RER MyGig unit in my '08 JKU Rubicon, I specifically got this JK without the audio upgrades so I could get a decent aftermarket nav unit installed. I've been considering the Pioneer NEX series head units that have Apple Car Play on them. The iPhone integration seems like a pretty cool feature to have. With that said, this is the unit I'm looking at,

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-...F8&qid=1418606010&sr=8-2&keywords=pioneer+nex

It has nav on it, and Sirius, plus it has Car Play. Has anyone run into installing an aftermarket head unit into a '12 and up JK? How do you go about keeping the functionality of the steering wheel controls? How about the center console USB plug? Can that be tied into the Pioneer unit? Does the factory OEM NAV/SAT radio antenna get used on the Pioneer unit? Do the factory speakers get rewired to hook up directly to the head unit? Or is there a harness that is plug and play for the head unit and existing speaker harness?

I have the base audio package in my JK with no sub. Installing an aftermarket head unit into a JK is new to me. Actually any aftermarket audio equipment is new to me. Thanks for any help.

Looks like a nice HU. If you have any trouble, since it sounds like you're a novice at this, be sure to post up on the forum or feel free to ping me directly. I've done it many times on many cars, as have others. It's not too hard to do. Do it right and solder your connections. Good luck!

Slappy32

I do have an AVIC-8000NEX with a backup camera and Sirius satellite radio installed in my 2014 JKU. It was pretty straightforward. You have to use the GPS antenna that comes with the head unit, but it's magnetic and we just left it on top of the 8000 sealed up inside the dash. Works great. I don't have the steering wheel controls hooked up yet, but will be doing so soon. You will have to remove the metal cross brace at the back of the radio cavity to fit the head unit in. It's easily removed. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Slappy32

You have any issues at all with gps reception with the antenna inside the dash?

None whatsoever. My stereo installer friend say they do it all the time. It's magnetic, so we just stuck it to the top of the head unit. The Sirius antenna, on the other hand, had to be mounted to top of the windshield on the outside for good reception.

InvAdeReKiM

Dear OP and Slappy,

I do have an AVIC-8000NEX with a backup camera and Sirius satellite radio installed in my 2014 JKU. It was pretty straightforward. You have to use the GPS antenna that comes with the head unit, but it's magnetic and we just left it on top of the 8000 sealed up inside the dash. Works great. I don't have the steering wheel controls hooked up yet, but will be doing so soon. You will have to remove the metal cross brace at the back of the radio cavity to fit the head unit in. It's easily removed. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I also have a 2014 JKU and am about to buy this Pioneer NEX 8000 HU as well as this Module & Harness to integrate the steering wheel controls and USB/AUX in center console AND Hopefully the Stock Microphone for Bluetooth:

My questions are:
  1. Have you finished the install of the head unit? - If so, any tips?
  2. Have you installed steering Wheel adapters and do they work great? any problems?
  3. Will I be good if I buy this Head Unit and these adapters or am I Missing anything else to install?
P.S. I am also buying a Pioneer Backup camera to install as well. http://amzn.to/1AcCTSs

Cossalter18

Hello I am looking to do the same for my 14 JK any update to how it all went. Thanks,

I just installed the avic 5100 and can imagine it's pretty similar. Everything was very straight forward. The Maestro unit just make sure you flash it with the software you download. If you have to reset the maestro unit it can be kind of a pain. But patience is key. It is a tight fit to get that little deck to sit behind the radio but nothing crazy. Other then that steering wheel controls work great and no issues. GPS signal is great. Ran into a couple issues that said my gps signal could not be found and wouldn't allow me to do anything. Had to disconnect battery negative terminal and it fixed.

Another little tip. There is a built in bypass to watch movies and stuff and type in navigation while driving. (Not encouraging the movies...) just set the audio source to off and on the home screen 1inch up and 1inch to the right press and hold for about 10seconds and a notification will come up. YouTube can show you a lot better if your interested. Very helpful cause having to pull over just to type in a location can be annoying.

Just my .02cents. Hope it helps!!

Cossalter18

Dear OP and Slappy,

I also have a 2014 JKU and am about to buy this Pioneer NEX 8000 HU as well as this Module & Harness to integrate the steering wheel controls and USB/AUX in center console AND Hopefully the Stock Microphone for Bluetooth:

My questions are:
  1. Have you finished the install of the head unit? - If so, any tips?
  2. Have you installed steering Wheel adapters and do they work great? any problems?
  3. Will I be good if I buy this Head Unit and these adapters or am I Missing anything else to install?
P.S. I am also buying a Pioneer Backup camera to install as well. http://amzn.to/1AcCTSs

The maestro MRR and CH1 are the same I bought and everything was smooth. Installed in a 2011 JKU with only volume and seek control. No phone controls.

Wethy

The Pac Audio RP4-CH11 is an all in one harness and has steering wheel retention built in it what I used and recommend

Top Bottom