CB Radio Mounts & Antennas

tonytony9

I would like to mount a CB radio antenna on my rig and I am trying to figure out the most cost efficient way of doing so. In addition, I am looking for the lengths and types of antennas you guys are using.

I would like a red antenna (was looking at the firestick I believe it is called), think it would match best with my rig. Any suggestions on brands and lengths?

Also, I would love to mount it maybe either behind the spare or somewhere on the back. I have found mounts but I almost feel like they could be made or bought at a hardware store for so much cheaper. Anyone have any luck with this?

It wont be hooked up for awhile anyways, so wire running locations is not a problem right now!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Firestick II is a tunable antenna and that's what I would look at. It should be above the highest point of your jeep so look at a 3' one.

As far as mounts go there are tons made by different companies that mount to your factory tire carrier.

tonytony9

Firestick II is a tunable antenna and that's what I would look at. It should be above the highest point of your jeep so look at a 3' one.

As far as mounts go there are tons made by different companies that mount to your factory tire carrier.

Thanks for the input. You ever hear of someone making their own mount?

When you purchase your antenna look for the combo pack with antenna and mirror mount. The mirror mount is made out of aluminum and you can mount it to the factory tire carrier with the hardware provided. To do this you will need to round the lower corner of the mount so it will fit flush. Nice thing about using a mirror mount is the ability to move it to an aftermarket tire carrier later. I have the LoD rear bumper with the GEN III tire carrier and this is what I use for my CB. I will caution you on the length. I would not go any longer than 4 ft and put install a spring. I am running a 3 ft Firestick with a 4 inch spring and it serves me well.

R/
Will

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I would love to mount it maybe either behind the spare or somewhere on the back. I have found mounts but I almost feel like they could be made or bought at a hardware store for so much cheaper. Anyone have any luck with this?

Depending on how much room you have to work with behind your spare, you could drill into your tire carrier and just use it for a mount. I had done tried this a long time ago on my old 2009 JKU and it worked pretty good. You will need a coax cable with a flat terminating end like this though.
main.php

All you have to do is drill your hole here making sure that it'll fit the diameter of the of the stepped nylon bushing.
main.php

And then attach your mounting stud to it.
main.php

I prefer to use springs with my mounts to help absorb hits but otherwise, you just need to connect your antenna from there and go.
main.php

tonytony9

Depending on how much room you have to work with behind your spare, you could drill into your tire carrier and just use it for a mount. I had done tried this a long time ago on my old 2009 JKU and it worked pretty good. You will need a coax cable with a flat terminating end like this though.
main.php

All you have to do is drill your hole here making sure that it'll fit the diameter of the of the stepped nylon bushing.
main.php

And then attach your mounting stud to it.
main.php

I prefer to use springs with my mounts to help absorb hits but otherwise, you just need to connect your antenna from there and go.
main.php

That's perfect! No issues with rust or anything?

JuggernautJKU

I have a similar problem. Ive already passed my antenna wiring and attached it to the spare tire carrier but on rainy days water seems to enter the rubber plug in the tailgate. Should I cut the middle of the rubber so the wire passes in the middle instead? Atm i just stuffed the rubber plug over top of the wire.

JAGS

Hooked
I have a similar problem. Ive already passed my antenna wiring and attached it to the spare tire carrier but on rainy days water seems to enter the rubber plug in the tailgate. Should I cut the middle of the rubber so the wire passes in the middle instead? Atm i just stuffed the rubber plug over top of the wire.

I made a slice and then the wire went in the middle. Overkill I'm sure, but i had some plasti-dip left over from my door hinges, so tapped off the rubber grommet and the hit it with a few layers of PD. Basically sealed the whole thing up but is still flexible.

Wethy

I made one out of a 4x4 electrical box cover and mounted it to my carrier its galvanized steel so its not gonna rust. It isnt too hard just take some cardboard make a template trace it on the steel and then drill the hole like Eddie says.

Attachments

• 1418663297725.jpg
    1418663297725.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 253
The factory tire carrier is made out of magnesium, it won't rust.

With the tire carrier made out of magnesium be careful to not let it get too hot. Magnesium is one meat that will burn and when it does the only way to put the fire out is to smother it. Magnesium burns stupid hot.

If you have seen the survival fire starter kits, the block is magnesium which gets shaved off and it just takes a little spark to ignite it.

R/
Will

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
With the tire carrier made out of magnesium be careful to not let it get too hot. Magnesium is one meat that will burn and when it does the only way to put the fire out is to smother it. Magnesium burns stupid hot.

If you have seen the survival fire starter kits, the block is magnesium which gets shaved off and it just takes a little spark to ignite it.

R/
Will

C'mon, it's not as if the thing is going to spontaneously combust. It will never get that hot back there.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Funny thing was a buddy was grinding on his rear tire carrier and oh yeah sparked a little fire :doh:. Yeah it can happen.

Fair enough... I never thought about grinding on them. Mine will just find its way to the dumpster before I modify it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I would like to mount a CB radio antenna on my rig and I am trying to figure out the most cost efficient way of doing so. In addition, I am looking for the lengths and types of antennas you guys are using.

I would like a red antenna (was looking at the firestick I believe it is called), think it would match best with my rig. Any suggestions on brands and lengths?

It wont be hooked up for awhile anyways, so wire running locations is not a problem right now!

Generally a good formula for range would be sticking up 12" or so past the hardtop in the rear. As for a place to mount it, a cheap and "free" place is to drill into the OEM carrier. Remove the spare tire, and on the top of the carrier, closest to the tailgate you will see a nice flat spot. Drill a hole large enough to fit the threads through, then use the washer and nut from underneath to tighten it up. This is MUCH easier if you remove the carrier off the tailgate so you have lots of room to work.

*Edit* Ninja Eddie beat me to it. :D

Top Bottom