Something is leaking...

ciphershort

So I've been noticing a small spot on my garage floor under my rig every once and a while so I got underneath it this morning and found what appears to be a leaky hose. Learning all of this as I go, but it looks like it might be coming from the radiator. Can anyone tell me for sure what this is? That's the front track bar arch in the lower left for a frame of reference.

Thanks!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418654995.490045.jpg

CandAMudders

Common leak issue. I believe there was even a recall in the States (I am from Canada) on that. I just put in a custom tube and proper end caps. No big deal.

ciphershort

Common leak issue. I believe there was even a recall in the States (I am from Canada) on that. I just put in a custom tube and proper end caps. No big deal.

Well as slow as it was I didn't figure it was a big problem. I looked up recalls for my VIN and nothing came up but oh well. So are those hose fittings just clamped on? Trying to figure out the best way to remove it and what I'll need to fix/replace it. Never messed with engine hoses before.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Did you find the source? What year is your rig? There was an issue with the transmission line rubbing, which was fixed for later models (13+)....I see a reddish tint to the fluid. Looks a little thick to be coolant.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's an automatic transmission cooler line and the fluid looks like ATF. As mentioned, could just be a bad quick connect and if I recall, there was a TSB on this a while back.

ciphershort

Did you find the source? What year is your rig? There was an issue with the transmission line rubbing, which was fixed for later models (13+)....I see a reddish tint to the fluid. Looks a little thick to be coolant.

Haven't had time this morning to check it. I'll look at it this afternoon and see. My rig is a 2009.

That's an automatic transmission cooler line and the fluid looks like ATF. As mentioned, could just be a bad quick connect and if I recall, there was a TSB on this a while back.

Thanks for the diagnosis. Are these things easy to change out? Any tips? If there was a TSB, where would I go to look that up?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the diagnosis. Are these things easy to change out? Any tips? If there was a TSB, where would I go to look that up?

If your Jeep is still under warranty like it should be being that the 2009's came with a lifetime one, your dealer should be able to look this up and take care of you.

ciphershort

If your Jeep is still under warranty like it should be being that the 2009's came with a lifetime one, your dealer should be able to look this up and take care of you.

Well I'm not the original owner so does that affect anything? I was under the impression that once the vehicle changed hands all that went up in smoke.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I'm not the original owner so does that affect anything? I was under the impression that once the vehicle changed hands all that went up in smoke.

Yeah, that's true. Bummer.

If it is the quick connect that is bad, you would just need to have the line replaced. If it's cut or worn through from rubbing, it would need to be replaced - either way, if in fact you are seeing ATF and not coolant, one of your lines may need to be replaced. The first thing I would do is do a thorough cleaning of that area so that you can find the leak more easily and then go from there.

ciphershort

Yeah, that's true. Bummer.

If it is the quick connect that is bad, you would just need to have the line replaced. If it's cut or worn through from rubbing, it would need to be replaced - either way, if in fact you are seeing ATF and not coolant, one of your lines may need to be replaced. The first thing I would do is do a thorough cleaning of that area so that you can find the leak more easily and then go from there.

K. I'll clean everything up this afternoon and see if I can pinpoint it. Thanks.

JLSilerJK

I literally just went through this 10 days ago. I didnt find much here but google helped a lot.

I will find my paperwork. Issue was fixed for free. I am 3rd owner of this Jeep.

Call the Chyrsler number online - the person was very helpful looking up the Vin and saying it should get fixed for free if the vehicle fits the description and has less trhan 70,000 miles on it. Good luck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for chiming in with that. I was literally looking through some of my old files to see if maybe this was a recall and not just a TSB. As a recall, it should be covered regardless of who the owner is.

JLSilerJK

For sure! Now that I've been thinking about it; it was worded as a manufacturers extended warranty for 7 years/70,000 miles.

ciphershort

I literally just went through this 10 days ago. I didnt find much here but google helped a lot.

I will find my paperwork. Issue was fixed for free. I am 3rd owner of this Jeep.

Call the Chyrsler number online - the person was very helpful looking up the Vin and saying it should get fixed for free if the vehicle fits the description and has less trhan 70,000 miles on it. Good luck

Well that is great news. And I've got 68060 miles so I'm good there for a little bit. Glad I didn't put it off for another 2000 miles! I'll call them today and see if I can get this fixed soon.

ciphershort

right on:rock:

Well that was the most painless thing I've ever done. Called them up and they got my info and said it should be covered under the "extended warranty". Then they called my dealership and got someone on the phone who could setup an appointment for me to bring it in. Looks like I'm getting it fixed next Monday morning! Thanks so much for chiming in on my post! I was really dreading getting in there to fix it. Guess I don't have to clean it up now. I'll leave it all gross so they know which one is the culprit.

ciphershort

Just for the sake of the thread, the appointment went great. They had to keep it over night to get a specific part in but everything was fixed with no charge to me.

Top Bottom