Deciding suspension lift kit

theleesullivan

I have a 2012 JKU will 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers. Ive saved up enough money on the side to finally get a suspension lift. I like the look of a 3" lift so thats the size I want. However, I really don't have any knowledge of lifts. What do I need? With Shocks or Without? Long arms short arms? The extent off my offroading is going through some mud on my hunting lease. So this is more for looks and not performance, but at the same time if i actually need some performance in the future I would like to be prepared. Any ideas of a fair priced lift kit? Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With all that said, if you're going to be sticking with 33" tires, I might recommend that you just install a 2.5" coil spacer lift or "budget boost" as it'll be all you really need. You can do this for cheap and most good kits will come with everything you need.

theleesullivan

Well, I do want to leave the option open for 35's in the future.

With all that said, if you're going to be sticking with 33" tires, I might recommend that you just install a 2.5" coil spacer lift or "budget boost" as it'll be all you really need. You can do this for cheap and most good kits will come with everything you need.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I do want to leave the option open for 35's in the future.

LOL!! Yeah, I figured as much and all the more reason why a 2.5" coil spacer lift is what I would recommend as it'll help you to clear 35's just fine. If you go much higher, you will have to address things like your front drive shaft, caster rear drive shaft if you have a 2-door, new control arms, longer brake lines, etc. For how you've stated how you will be using your Jeep, this is the best and cheapest way to get you there. Of course, it's your money and if you want, I can point you to much more expensive options that you won't really need. :yup:

theleesullivan

Yeah, makes sense. Well any brand suggestions that are good quality. I don't know if you can back certain products, but I just want to spend money on something of good quality!

LOL!! Yeah, I figured as much and all the more reason why a 2.5" coil spacer lift is what I would recommend as it'll help you to clear 35's just fine. If you go much higher, you will have to address things like your front drive shaft, caster rear drive shaft if you have a 2-door, new control arms, longer brake lines, etc. For how you've stated how you will be using your Jeep, this is the best and cheapest way to get you there. Of course, it's your money and if you want, I can point you to much more expensive options that you won't really need. :yup:

Jtmw

I run the Rock Krawler 1.5 Max Travel, netted about 3'' out of it. Kit is way more than you need, but comes with four lowers if you ever wanna tackle some trails sometime. I run 35's and I love on road and offroad capabilities:). I will admit its a bit on the pricey side however.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, makes sense. Well any brand suggestions that are good quality. I don't know if you can back certain products, but I just want to spend money on something of good quality!

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the coil spacer lifts out there. Just try to make sure to get one that comes with shock extensions and new rear sway bar links. A rear track bar relocation bracket and new adjustable front track bar are nice to have as well but not required.

Hobolobo

I run the rough country series 2 kit. 2.5" comes with shock extensions, new sway bar links for rear, and rear track bar relocation bracket. Around $200 easy install and looks good. I can post pics later if you would like.

jman_12

I'd look into a teraflex 2.5 inch budget boost, it's pretty cheap compared to other lifts and comes with shocks extensions

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As much as I don't like TeraFlex as a company, I have installed and run their 2.5" budget boost in the past and, as mentioned, their kit comes pretty complete and is affordable.

theleesullivan

yeah Id love to see some pics of your rig

I run the rough country series 2 kit. 2.5" comes with shock extensions, new sway bar links for rear, and rear track bar relocation bracket. Around $200 easy install and looks good. I can post pics later if you would like.

MarkW13

I'm running a 2" bb right now and it clears 35's with no problem. I have plans down the road for a major suspension upgrade, but I'm pretty happy with what I got for $270.

Side note. AEV's front shock relocation brackets aren't that great. I'd suggest replacing the shocks all the way around. They'll work with the budget boost or a regular suspension lift and provide a little more articulation.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah Im leaning towards the 2.5 Coil spring lift kit with Shock adaptors from TeraFlex. Cheap, but heard it's pretty good!

im gonna start by saying ride is 100% subjective. that being said i have this lift and it is stiff as hell. if you wanna keep factory ride just go with the BB (coil spacers) or a differect lift all together.

noroad

im gonna start by saying ride is 100% subjective. that being said i have this lift and it is stiff as hell. if you wanna keep factory ride just go with the BB (coil spacers) or a differect lift all together.

Agreed!

On one of our jeeps the lady runs just a 1.75 coil spacer lift at the moment and it clears 35s ok, thats will stock shocks and no shock adaptors. It cost us 80$ from Crown. Ill throw some pics up with flat fenders and non.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411310628.806169.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411310628.806169.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 70
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411310550.032540.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411310550.032540.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 71
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404941634.126982.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404941634.126982.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 71
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404941600.841225.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1404941600.841225.jpg