New Poison Spyder Tire Carrier

mastrcruse

I was looking at the exp-one bumper & carrier but love the look of the carri RKs that place the tire inside. The exp-1 is 1200 plus a few accessories at anoth $100.

This is 980 and you have to buy a bumper....exp-1 is 810 and the PSC is 600. Making this 1500 or 1700 if you want to keep OEM hitch. Don't think this is worth 700 more?? The hi lift is weirdly low too on the psc.

The functionality is angle and protection of rear tire..is that right?

wwood

I love Poison Spyder stuff, have a lot of it on my Jeep but for a swing out tire carrier I vastly prefer the overall looks of the EVO or Genright. The driver's side latch plate setup on the PSC carrier is too big and boxy for my taste.

Looks are a matter of personal opinion and I am sure many guys will like the PSC carrier but what surprised me was the suggestion in the PS marketing description that competing tire carriers have "major weaknesses" particularly as to the driver's side mounting method which they say bears 50% of the weight. That simply is not true for the Genright, which I have on my Jeep, it carries most of the weight (probably 95%) on the passenger side hinges and the driver's side mounting method is definitely plenty strong enough. And from what I have seen and heard the EVO carrier also carries most of the weight on the passenger side hinges and is even stronger. I can climb on the Genright carrier, jump and bounce up/down and there is zero flex of any kind. I have my Genright carrier mounted on top of PSC rear corners but plenty of guys run the Genright on the Jeep sheetmetal and I never heard of any problems. Same with EVO, that carrier is major strong.

mattfl

I was looking at the exp-one bumper & carrier but love the look of the carri RKs that place the tire inside. The exp-1 is 1200 plus a few accessories at anoth $100.

This is 980 and you have to buy a bumper....exp-1 is 810 and the PSC is 600. Making this 1500 or 1700 if you want to keep OEM hitch. Don't think this is worth 700 more?? The hi lift is weirdly low too on the psc.

The functionality is angle and protection of rear tire..is that right?

You don't need to buy a bumper for this one.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
And from what I have seen and heard the EVO carrier also carries most of the weight on the passenger side hinges and is even stronger.

Just a small point of clarification. The EVO carrier does not put any weight on the factory hinges...it doesn't use the factory gate hinge at all.

SFNick

And another note, the EVO tire carrier distributes the weight when closed to both sides of the Jeep. 50/50

wwood

Just a small point of clarification. The EVO carrier does not put any weight on the factory hinges...it doesn't use the factory gate hinge at all.

Correct, I was referring to the EVO carrier's passenger side hinges which are bolted onto the EVO passenger side rear corner, not the factory hinges which are removed. Similar with the Genright carrier, the factory hinges are removed and replaced with Genright hinges which bolt onto the factory hinge location. In both cases there is zero weight on the tailgate hinges.

I'm not sure I like how the horizontal tubes swing up so much... I do like the single action release and cam adjustment though.

Top Bottom