Choice of Lockers

Jtmw

I understand this is a dead horse but it's gonna get beat some more. I plan on regearing to 4.88, I'm running Dana 30/44. Im trying to spend money to save money and do things all at once. I had planned on doing gears and throwing a locker in the rear. I will end up getting a PR44 sometime but Shoestring budget trying to build something right takes time. I have run ARB's before, I know how well they work and I what comes along with them $$$. BUT I am interested in the Eaton and Yukon Zip if those are truly selectable like an ARB. I just need to learn a little more if you guys wouldnt mind. Thanks!

noroad

I understand this is a dead horse but it's gonna get beat some more. I plan on regearing to 4.88, I'm running Dana 30/44. Im trying to spend money to save money and do things all at once. I had planned on doing gears and throwing a locker in the rear. I will end up getting a PR44 sometime but Shoestring budget trying to build something right takes time. I have run ARB's before, I know how well they work and I what comes along with them $$$. BUT I am interested in the Eaton and Yukon Zip if those are truly selectable like an ARB. I just need to learn a little more if you guys wouldnt mind. Thanks!

I was in the same boat back in june when i was going to 4.88s it was between an arb and a yukon zip. I went with the new yukon zip for a couple reason. 1) i got it with a life time warranty on the locker no matter of tire size. 2) It has 2 or 3 years 3000$ (or something like that i would have to pull it out) coverage if it breaks. 3) it was a little cheaper. hope that helps but Arb is also very good, I have also never had a problem so far with my locker and im not the easy going type on my jeep just ask Coz lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was in the same boat back in june when i was going to 4.88s it was between an arb and a yukon zip. I went with the new yukon zip for a couple reason. 1) i got it with a life time warranty on the locker no matter of tire size. 2) It has 2 or 3 years 3000$ (or something like that i would have to pull it out) coverage if it breaks. 3) it was a little cheaper. hope that helps but Arb is also very good, I have also never had a problem so far with my locker and im not the easy going type on my jeep just ask Coz lol

Lol yea you don't go easy on it.

You have a very solid plan and doing what I did. I locked the rear and left the front open.

I would honestly say that both will do the job so it's just a matter of what you want to go with. I run ARB in the rear and open up front. I'm installing a pro rock up front hopefully this weekend with an ARB as well.

noroad

You have a very solid plan and doing what I did. I locked the rear and left the front open.

I would honestly say that both will do the job so it's just a matter of what you want to go with. I run ARB in the rear and open up front. I'm installing a pro rock up front hopefully this weekend with an ARB as well.

You didnt get the update? sorry man it was sent to Boston for some more testing lol :pop2::munching:

JohnnyX

I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of crazy eyes for this but I did a ARB set up on my 08 2 door JKX even mentioned it a while back n got sum flak because of the frnt D30 jus so u know I had the axels regeared 513 G2 placer seriies 35 spline in rear n 27 spline in the front I have done every trail in Big Bear n anything in between I am cautious at times but I think I wheel w/ a solid group n do all the same obstacles as the Rubis jus not as aggressive I'll wheel it til it exsplodes the D30 that is so untill then I'm havin fun n Jeepin w/ the best of em..... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418709515.779975.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418709544.887704.jpg
I ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418708766.216409.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418708788.242102.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1418708821.878735.jpg

seanb123

I think the eaton is gaining mor popularity now that the new design has been around for a bit. Arbs are tried and true but it does add another element with the compressor. My eaton is great and very much selectable. Flip the switch and immediately locked. Turn off drive forward and unlocked. No need to rock it or anything like that. I went for the eaton just to do something different and have no regrets.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of crazy eyes for this but I did a ARB set up on my 08 2 door JKX even mentioned it a while back n got sum flak because of the frnt D30 jus so u know I had the axels regeared 513 G2 placer seriies 35 spline in rear n 27 spline in the front I have done every trail in Big Bear n anything in between I am cautious at times but I think I wheel w/ a solid group n do all the same obstacles as the Rubis jus not as aggressive I'll wheel it til it exsplodes the D30 that is so untill then I'm havin fun n Jeepin w/ the best of em

:cheesy: You know, there's a thing called "time" and "use" and even if you're real careful, they can come up from behind and catch you when you least expect. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less that guys like you want to throw money at a Dana 30 and honestly, I really do hope yours never breaks. Certainly, nothing sucks more than to have a guy break a ring and pinion on the trail - sure as hell sucks for everyone who's out with you, that's for sure. But, if there's a reason why guys like you get flak, it's because you always feel the need to find threads like this and post up how you're running lockers and 5.13's in a Dana 30 and how you run all kinds of "tough" trails as if you're insecure and have something to prove. Of course, if you took the time to read what the OP said, you would know that HE WASN'T EVEN ASKING ABOUT locking up a Dana 30 :naw:

I think the eaton is gaining mor popularity now that the new design has been around for a bit. Arbs are tried and true but it does add another element with the compressor. My eaton is great and very much selectable. Flip the switch and immediately locked. Turn off drive forward and unlocked. No need to rock it or anything like that. I went for the eaton just to do something different and have no regrets.

I'm an ARB guy just because they are what I have run for a long time now and they are what I know. Having said that, more and more guys are running the Eaton and I think it's great. The more options we have, the more manufacturers have to try harder to keep our business. In other words, we get better products :yup:

LeighP

I always seem to see these "locker" posts sort of settling down to either ARB, Eatons or some of the mechanical auto lockers.
I rarely hear mention of OX lockers. Are these something that you see much on US JK's?
Just wondering. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I always seem to see these "locker" posts sort of settling down to either ARB, Eatons or some of the mechanical auto lockers.
I rarely hear mention of OX lockers. Are these something that you see much on US JK's?
Just wondering. :)

Years ago, and I do mean YEAAAAARS ago, back when OX was just coming out, the idea of it was all the rage. There were early adapters who eagerly picked them up and quickly found they had all kinds of issues. In a very short amount of time, they fell out of favor here and if I recall correctly, the original owners went out of business. While things may have changed and while what they make may be much better, I think they are still suffering from the effects of their first go around.

JohnnyX

:cheesy: You know, there's a thing called "time" and "use" and even if you're real careful, they can come up from behind and catch you when you least expect. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less that guys like you want to throw money at a Dana 30 and honestly, I really do hope yours never breaks. Certainly, nothing sucks more than to have a guy break a ring and pinion on the trail - sure as hell sucks for everyone who's out with you, that's for sure. But, if there's a reason why guys like you get flak, it's because you always feel the need to find threads like this and post up how you're running lockers and 5.13's in a Dana 30 and how you run all kinds of "tough" trails as if you're insecure and have something to prove. Of course, if you took the time to read what the OP said, you would know that HE WASN'T EVEN ASKING ABOUT locking up a Dana 30 :naw:

I'm an ARB guy just because they are what I have run for a long time now and they are what I know. Having said that, more and more guys are running the Eaton and I think it's great. The more options we have, the more manufacturers have to try harder to keep our business. In other words, we get better products :yup:

Why so hostile I'm not insecure I'm not tryin to prove anything I'm jus using what I got I didn't say that I even recommend this n I guess GUYS LIKE ME shouldn't post their amateur adventures on the Big Dog thread???? IDK... I know what the thread is about n like I said I'll jus keep goin till it blows... Sorry if I offended u or anybody on this thread jus sharing my exsperiance w/ ARB too.....

Jtmw

Thanks to all who replied, good info. Like mentioned I have run ARB and they do get the job done. I am interested in the yukon zip.

I'm always up for trying a new product. I'll have to look a little more in depth to what my local shop's pricing is for both and what they're familiar with. I'm really interested in the Yukon zip. Appreciate the response!

Thanks, gets me thinking about locking up the front. I'd like to oreder a PR44 ready to slide under the Jeep, thats something to think about. If I'm not mistaken the PR44 does have the Y-zip as a preloaded option. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Jtmw

So the main difference between the Yukon-Zip, Eaton, and ARB is the method of locking right? Ones air, electrical? I just watched a video from ARB showing that under some ridiculous amount of stress the Yukon gearset/case broke whereas the ARB destroyed the shaft. I get a shaft is less expensive than a a new locker. But will my 2 door ever come close to that honestly?

If I'm reading the description correctly online that Yukon zip is also run on compressed air. Can you shed a little light on your set up? Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why so hostile I'm not insecure I'm not tryin to prove anything I'm jus using what I got I didn't say that I even recommend this n I guess GUYS LIKE ME shouldn't post their amateur adventures on the Big Dog thread???? I know what the thread is about...

:cheesy: Could have fooled me. The OP makes a post about what locker to put in his REAR axle and yet, you felt the need to come on and post about how well your locked up Dana 30 front axle running 5.13's is holding up. Of course, you also had throw in the part about how you get flak for this but that you have run all the trails in Big Bear like it matters.

...n like I said I'll jus keep goin till it blows. Sorry if I offended u or anybody on this thread jus sharing my exsperiance w/ ARB too.....

But nobody asked about your Dana 30 front axle experiences and you never even made one mention as to how well your ARB works or doesn't work. Sure, you did say that you'll keep going till it blows but to me, it seemed like you were making it more in jest than anything as you also made sure to say "untill then I'm havin fun n Jeepin w/ the best of em". I've lead plenty of runs with guys like you in tow and it's always your Jeeps that I end up having working on to get back off the trail.

Look, I'm sorry if I came off hostile and if I've offended you. I just want to make sure that guys who don't know any better know that running a locker on a Dana 30 IS a bad idea and running 5.13 gears with it's tiny pinion in a Dana 30 IS a bad idea. This is not just me making things up but rather, based on what I have seen.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the main difference between the Yukon-Zip, Eaton, and ARB is the method of locking right? Ones air, electrical? I just watched a video from ARB showing that under some ridiculous amount of stress the Yukon gearset/case broke whereas the ARB destroyed the shaft. I get a shaft is less expensive than a a new locker. But will my 2 door ever come close to that honestly?

If I'm reading the description correctly online that Yukon zip is also run on compressed air. Can you shed a little light on your set up? Thanks

The Yukon Zip is essentially the old style ARB. If I recall correctly, it's the EXACT same thing as the patent on it expired or something to that effect and ARB is now just selling their new and improved locker. For this reason alone, I would recommend the ARB over the Yukon. I have no experience with the Eaton nor do I know anyone running one and so I can't say one way or another how reliable or strong it really is.

As far as you running a 2-door goes, I suppose it all depends on how much you wheel, the kind of terrain you play on and how much skinny pedal you like to use. Over the years, I've seen my fair share of 2-doors break shafts and worse.

Jtmw

The Yukon Zip is essentially the old style ARB. If I recall correctly, it's the EXACT same thing as the patent on it expired or something to that effect and ARB is now just selling their new and improved locker. For this reason alone, I would recommend the ARB over the Yukon. I have no experience with the Eaton nor do I know anyone running one and so I can't say one way or another how reliable or strong it really is.

As far as you running a 2-door goes, I suppose it all depends on how much you wheel, the kind of terrain you play on and how much skinny pedal you like to use. Over the years, I've seen my fair share of 2-doors break shafts and worse.

Good to know, chance are I'll save up and just throw an ARB back there. I know it works, how to maintain it and its never let me down thus far. I'm also gonna take some time and look at the new control panel that came out at SEMA this year. I believe it's in Moby and Rubicat. I liked the clean simple look of it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Question will the ARB locker from a rear D44 work on a PR44?

Unfortunately, no.

Good to know, chance are I'll save up and just throw an ARB back there. I know it works, how to maintain it and its never let me down thus far. I'm also gonna take some time and look at the new control panel that came out at SEMA this year. I believe it's in Moby and Rubicat. I liked the clean simple look of it.

I think you're referring to the Switch-Pros and yes, I have the old custom made ones. The new one that came out at SEMA is much nicer.

noroad

Yes mine runs of a small air compressor under the jeep there are many out there and just about all will work for a locker. I have the ARB twin as i also use it to air up my tires.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411945014.944489.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411945014.944489.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 78
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403083261.483571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403083261.483571.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 77
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403083289.324617.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403083289.324617.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403083275.980143.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403083275.980143.jpg