2013 JKUR and Lockers

BillTheCat

So I was over talking to the guy lifting my 2013 JKUR (auto) and we were playing with the locker switch. We could not find a way to just lock the front wheels. He, being a seasoned crawler, indicted that could be useful in certain situations. Is there any way only to lock the front? Curious minds and all ...

Wardell

Nope. The stock Rubicon lockers make you lock the rear before you can lock the front. I think the ARB air lockers work the same way too.

I'm curious what situations you would only want to lock the front though, vice just the rear or both. When you lock the front your ability to steer is reduced since the wheels are both trying to spin at the same rate, so I can't think of any benifit to that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What your friend was saying is correct as locking up your fronts only can allow you additional maneuverability. But, with your factory lockers, you can ONLY engage your fronts IF you have your rears engaged first.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. The stock Rubicon lockers make you lock the rear before you can lock the front. I think the ARB air lockers work the same way too.

I'm curious what situations you would only want to lock the front though, vice just the rear or both. When you lock the front your ability to steer is reduced since the wheels are both trying to spin at the same rate, so I can't think of any benifit to that.

It's mainly something you'd use in really technical wheeling. In a tight obstacle, they can help you to do what is known as a front side burn. Of course, most people will never have a need for this.

BillTheCat

As my friend explained it to me, and I'm paraphrasing here, sometimes you want the front to pull you up and out. If the rear is locked it can try and steer you where it wants to go instead of just following. Hope this makes sense to you with more experience.

Top Bottom