2015 Rubicon Rear Locker Question?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
All,

I have a noob question. I have a 2015 JKUR, and when I put the jeep in 4wd or 4 low, and activate the lockers, the rear locker light will not go solid, it just keeps blinking. The front will go solid, but not the rear. My jeep has just under 2K miles on it, is something wrong with it? Or is something wrong with me?

Also the locker switch appears to be a two way button (up / down) if I press down once, the rear locker shows up (blinking) I press down again, both show up (rear still blinking) that is pretty much all I've done so far regarding playing with it, haven't needed lockers in the real world yet. But want to make sure they work as they should.

Can someone help me out with how to properly turn the lockers on/off? Thank you in advance

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Did you try driving forward while the light was blinking? It does not always just lock. I cant properly explain the mechanics, but it does sometime take you driving forward to actually lock.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Also pushing the bottom button engages the rear, then front locker and the top disengages both.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Also (lol) I dont think our Rubicon lockers work in 4H, just 4L. Id have to check the manual to be sure.

CRZRTX

The blinking light should go out once the lockers are engaged. You may need to roll a little to engage them. If they continue to blink, take it in to be serviced.
One sure way to tell if the lockers are on or not is to slowly drive it with the rear lockers on and you should hear the tires chirp or grab when turning. Try this in a parking lot.
Another sure way is to engage the rear locker, raise both rear tires off of the ground (with the front tires blocked, on a flat surface) take the parking brake off, put the transmission in neutral, and spin the tires. If they turn in the same direction, the lockers are working. If they spin in the opposite direction the lockers are not working.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
One sure way to tell if the lockers are on or not is to slowly drive it with the rear lockers on and you should hear the tires chirp or grab when turning. Try this in a parking lot. .

dont do this ^^^

Another sure way is to engage the rear locker, raise both rear tires off of the ground (with the front tires blocked, on a flat surface) take the parking brake off, put the transmission in neutral, and spin the tires. If they turn in the same direction, the lockers are working. If they spin in the opposite direction the lockers are not working.

but try this

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Also pushing the bottom button engages the rear, then front locker and the top disengages both.

Just to add to this, if you want to flip the front lockers on and off while leaving the rear locked;

1. Push the bottom of the locker switch to engage rear locker. This may take a second as mentioned above.

2. Push the bottom of the locker switch to engage the front locker before you get to the obstacle.

3. Push the bottom of the locker switch to disengage the front locker after the front tires clear the obstacle or you no longer need the front. This will leave the rear engaged and allow you to turn the front wheels. It may take a second to disengage.

4. You can continue to push the bottom of the locker switch to engage and disengage the front as needed.

5. When your done with needing your lockers push the top of the switch to disengage both, or whichever is locked. They may blink for a second or two until they are able to unlock completely.

Your lockers can't engage/disengage if they are under pressure. You may need to "lightly bounce" the drive train to give them enough slack to engage/disengage.

Hope that makes sense.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys, I'll pay more attention to what I'm doing in my driveway when I get home from work. Should be in about 15 minutes or so. I'll update the thread with what I find out

Has it been confirmed the lockers only work in 4low? This is my first jeep, so it's all new to me

jorgelrod

Hooked
Thanks guys, I'll pay more attention to what I'm doing in my driveway when I get home from work. Should be in about 15 minutes or so. I'll update the thread with what I find out

Has it been confirmed the lockers only work in 4low? This is my first jeep, so it's all new to me

Only in 4 Low under 25 miles I think

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Only in 4 Low under 25 miles I think

I'll make sure to try it in 4low in my driveway, how far should I have to roll before it engages 3ft? 10ft? Down the street? Planning to take the jeep out to my first "real offroad park" this weekend, hence why I decided to mess with it in the first place. Thanks again everyone!!

Edit: I want to avoid turning the wheel at all in 4wd on pavement, that just sounds like a bad idea.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Yup. Page 91 of the "users guide" states that; the lockers can only be engaged if the engine is running and the transfer case is in 4L.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Yup. Page 91 of the "users guide" states that; the lockers can only be engaged if the engine is running and the transfer case is in 4L.

Great! Thank you for taking the time to look for mw! It is very much appreciated!

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'll make sure to try it in 4low in my driveway, how far should I have to roll before it engages 3ft? 10ft? Down the street? Planning to take the jeep out to my first "real offroad park" this weekend, hence why I decided to mess with it in the first place. Thanks again everyone!!

Edit: I want to avoid turning the wheel at all in 4wd on pavement, that just sounds like a bad idea.

shouldn't be more than one full wheel rotation give or take

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Ok, I'm in the driveway, T-case is in 4L, manual trans in neutral and hand brake on

I push the axel lock button one time (down)
Rear locker is now blinking on the dash

Put jeep in first, remove hand brake, and slip clutch to initiate roll

Mix between on/off clutch to roll the jeep about 30 ft, and the rear locker light is still blinking on the dash. :(

Back up (in 4L), rear locker still "on"

And the rear locker light is now solid?? Nice

*Written while performing steps in the driveway*

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Wow, It locks up no problem now, maybe it was just the first time? I just took the jeep out of 4l, took it for a spin around the block and back, pulled in the driveway, put it in 4L and hit the lock button and the rear locked up right away

Thanks for the help everyone! It now locks and unlocks like the front.

Should I be concerned about the rear locker at all given that it had a hard time locking the first time? Or should I just forget about it if it continues to act properly?

Last edited:

ClarksAdventures

I wouldn't stress it. The lockers can take a bit of rolling to engage or disengage. Mine did the same thing when it was first new.

Have a great weekend wheeling.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't stress it. The lockers can take a bit of rolling to engage or disengage. Mine did the same thing when it was first new.

Have a great weekend wheeling.

That is comforting to know. It seemed to be working fine this afternoon. Hopefully if I need it this weekend it won't be giving me any fuss. Ha

Top Bottom