Tire pressure.

tobias lopez

Hey wol fam. I was just wondering at what time pressure I sold have my tires for regular daily driving? I have 35 Toyo open country. I usually just keep it at 35 psi but I was just wondering what others ran. Thanks in advance.

jeeeep

Hooked
best way to find out for your specific rig is to do a chalk test.

draw a line across the tread using a chalk or crayon and drive it straight for a little bit, if there is still chalk on the outer edge it's over inflated, chalk in the center = under inflated, no chalk = good pressure.

you don't need to drive it very far, I usually drive enough to get at least 5 rotations. flat parking lots are great, gives you plenty of space

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I run my 37" Nittos at 28 psi. Makes for a much better ride and I still have good wear on them.

When I did my chalk test I used the kids sidewalk chalk and drew a big line right in front of the tire. It worked great.

Last edited:

tobias lopez

I run my 37" Nittos at 28 psi. Makes for a much better ride and I still have good wear on them.

When I did my chalk test I used the kids sidewalk chalk and drew a big line right in front of the tire. It worked great.

What does the chalk test do?

dannymalkin

The chalk test allows you to see if your tire pressure is allowing the tires to wear evenly. If the pressure is too high, there will still be unworn chalk on the edge of the tread and vice versa.

jknikos

Hey wol fam. I was just wondering at what time pressure I sold have my tires for regular daily driving? I have 35 Toyo open country. I usually just keep it at 35 psi but I was just wondering what others ran. Thanks in advance.
IMO 35psi is very high. I run my 35s MT baja claws at 30psi max on pavement. Off road i have lowered until 15psi cause i dont have a beadlock.

Bacon

The chalk test is the only true way to get the optimal pressure. The weight of the Jeep and the construction of the tires mean that different pressures will be right for different Jeeps.

As mentioned chalk test... but if you have driven at 35PSI for long you have likely already center worn some.

I run 37 GY MTR/K on 17x9 at 25PSI on our 4-door, and 29PSI on our 2-door with GY Duratracs on 17x8.5 wheels"

tobias lopez

IMO 35psi is very high. I run my 35s MT baja claws at 30psi max on pavement. Off road i have lowered until 15psi cause i dont have a beadlock.

Well they sit cold at 31/32 once they warm up they are 34/35. Do u run them at 30 cold or hot? Ya I come down to about 15 to 20 I don't have Beadlock either.

The chalk test is the only true way to get the optimal pressure. The weight of the Jeep and the construction of the tires mean that different pressures will be right for different Jeeps.

I really have to do this. .👍👍👍

As mentioned chalk test... but if you have driven at 35PSI for long you have likely already center worn some.

I run 37 GY MTR/K on 17x9 at 25PSI on our 4-door, and 29PSI on our 2-door with GY Duratracs on 17x8.5 wheels"

Are they 25 cold or hot?

Thanks for ur replies...👍👍👍

jknikos

30 psi cold. As yours mine get 3 to 4 psi after some road miles. Especially in the summer.

I will do chalk test, too.:beer:

chipper

I think I need to do the same. I just got these a few days ago. I think they have 38psi in them when they mounted them. How much PSI do you drop at a time when checking.
Looks like I have to much, this isn't chaulk. It's just road dirt.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419007161.795124.jpg

Mikead40

I think I need to do the same. I just got these a few days ago. I think they have 38psi in them when they mounted them. How much PSI do you drop at a time when checking.
Looks like I have to much, this isn't chaulk. It's just road dirt.
View attachment 115552

Drop down to 26-29 range and re-do the chalk test. That's where I ran my 35s and also where I run my 37s at. That seems to be where most people end up after doing the chalk test

chipper

Drop down to 26-29 range and re-do the chalk test. That's where I ran my 35s and also where I run my 37s at. That seems to be where most people end up after doing the chalk test

Thanks I'll give that a try. So if all the chalk comes off evenly at say 28 psi. Should I then try 29 and then 30.
Do I want the highest psi in the tires as long as the chalk wears off evenly?

Mikead40

Thanks I'll give that a try. So if all the chalk comes off evenly at say 28 psi. Should I then try 29 and then 30.
Do I want the highest psi in the tires as long as the chalk wears off evenly?

If it comes off evenly at 28, I would stay at 28. You can try adding some to go to 29 or 30, but in my opinion you're kind of splitting hairs.

Top Bottom