Vroom! Nation's fastest road to open in Texas

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like there won't be no "big black and white coming to crush your groove again" or, on at least one stretch of a Texas highway. Check it out...

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Motorists, start your engines. It's opening day for the last leg of a Texas toll road with the nation's fastest speed limit.

The final 41-mile stretch of Texas Highway 130 will open Wednesday after three years of construction. The speed limit will be 85 mph.

The toll road is intended to help alleviate the increasingly crowded Interstate 35 corridor between Austin and San Antonio, which are two of the state's largest metropolitan areas.

The new stretch will be from Mustang Ridge, about 10 miles south of Austin's international airport, to Interstate 10 just east of Seguin. A 50-mile stretch bypassing Austin is already open.

Tolls for personal vehicles displaying an electronic toll tag will be about 15 cents per mile. But no tolls will be collected until Nov. 11.

http://news.yahoo.com/vroom-nations-fastest-road-open-texas-115220075.html

Now I can really open up my Jeep and see what it can do :cheesy:

GCM 2

You mean it wasn't 85 when we went through Texas? :thinking:

My drive through Texas was actually pretty leisurely.....However, we could have used that 85mph in Michigan, the stretch I drove (along with Vengeance and Dynatrac) from Rocks and Valleys to Silver Lake/Sand Dunes we were hauling ass! 85mph steady, with periods of 90mph all in a three JK convoy. I can't believe we never even saw law enforcement during that cannonball run episode :icon_crazy:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I-35 through Austin and San Antonio sucks at any time of the day. They could have put the bypass speed limit at 40 and it'd still be faster than driving on I-35 :doh:

When did you guys come through TX?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My drive through Texas was actually pretty leisurely.....However, we could have used that 85mph in Michigan, the stretch I drove (along with Vengeance and Dynatrac) from Rocks and Valleys to Silver Lake/Sand Dunes we were hauling ass! 85mph steady, with periods of 90mph all in a three JK convoy. I can't believe we never even saw law enforcement during that cannonball run episode :icon_crazy:

LOL!! there were a couple of days like that. I don't know how you were doing it - it took all that i had to keep up with you guys and finally had to drop out as i was tapped out of gas. :crazyeyes:

MTG

Caught the Bug
We got stopped at one light on 8-mile road (que Eminem music) and lost you. We drove 80-95 and didn't catch you until you stopped for gas!!

Last edited:

ZERO LIMITZ

wayoflife said:
Looks like there won't be no "big black and white coming to crush your groove again" or, on at least one stretch of a Texas highway. Check it out...

Now I can really open up my Jeep and see what it can do :cheesy:

Well, before I lifted my jeep and put 35's on it it would hit 106mph tops, now lifted and 35's with 410 gears it will hit 98mph Glad I'm in San Antonio I'm gonna drive to Austin just to play!!!!

Robar

The Enforcer
When you drove through Texas for JKX that was the short end of Texas, in the panhandle. 85 doesn't feel fast enough between El Paso and Houston. That's over a days drive and you never leave the state.

Top Bottom