Subwoofer in Stock Enclosure

Bweezy

Hey everyone! I searched high and low for a topic matching this. My apologies if this is a redundant topic.

I recently had a sub put into my 2013 JK. It was supposed to be straight forward but I learn some things I thought I would pass on.

First, I ordered a mini amp so it could fit up under the dash without fear of theft or water damage (for when I take the top off in the summer). That turned out to work perfectly. I ordered a Rockford Fosgate 500 watt mono Punch amp. Flawless.

Next I had them out in a Rockford Fosgate shallow mount P3 to go in the stock enclosure. They sound deadened it and wired it up. It sounded like POOP! I opted for that in the first place because I thought it was all I had room for.

The place was very willing to work with me and replace it because they could hear how bad it sounded.

I brought it back the next day and they reevaluated it.

They ended up building rings to go around the outside of the opening of the enclosure so we could get a regular deep 8 inch sub in there.

What a world of difference it made! Sounds so good with the after market Kickers I put in the rest of the Jeep.

Moral of the story is, don't bother with shallow mount subs in the stock enclosure. You can fit a regular 8 inch sub in there and only lose about a 1/2 inch. It still has a very stock look so I am not too worried about theft in the summer.

I hope this helps someone out and not have to go through the same trial and error I did.

Thanks to the dudes at Innovative Audio in Sandy, UT for working with me and getting it sounding right.

Let me know if you have questions or want some pictures!

Thanks,
~B

Yeep

I have a 8" pioneer sub that fits perfectly in the stock enclosure without rings..... The stock grill even still fits

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I'll second the request for pics of he sub mounted in the stock enclosure and where you installed the amp.

BTW, what type (including gauge) of wire did you run to the amp, and from the amp to the sub.

Thanks!

toxicwaste29

How does this work with the cubic volume of needed air to make it sound good? My calculations showed the enclosure would be to small for an 8" sub. Is it that much of an increase over the infinity system sub?

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
How does this work with the cubic volume of needed air to make it sound good? My calculations showed the enclosure would be to small for an 8" sub. Is it that much of an increase over the infinity system sub?

It's going to be short, but it'll work. You have to build a new box to get the appropriate volume, but it still sounds ok I bet - its just not winning any SPL competitions.

Jeep10

Sub Woofer Mount

For the money, go to your local sound shop and inquire about a custom box. Mine turned out great and sounds outstanding and is out of the way.

Attachments

• Sub Woofer.jpg
    Sub Woofer.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 94
Top Bottom