What viscosity oil do you use

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I use what's recommended for my 2013. 5w20.

I wouldn't want to risk voiding my engine warranty by using a different oil weight.

Tanner505

I seen some of the dealers putting 5w30 in son 13 and up jks but not only during the winter but during the summer as well and was wondering what everyone else was doing, I run 5w20

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I seen some of the dealers putting 5w30 in son 13 and up jks but not only during the winter but during the summer as well and was wondering what everyone else was doing, I run 5w20

Don't dealers buy oil in 55 gallon drums? I've never seen a big label on them.

Tanner505

Not on the label on the drum on their receipt when they have the service Done some have noticed 5w30 was used instead

Wethy

i would ask, but i before my jeep. i had a 2005 dodge neon. and in the manual it said 5w20 for the summer and 5w30 for the winter.... and that was in the manual.... so dodge does some crazy things!

jknikos

Here is impossible to find 5w-20, so the last change i made i used 5w-30. :thinking:

But if you can find 5w-20 why do you want to use something different than jeep says?

JohnnyX

I recently switched over frm conventional motor oil on my 08 JK to synthetic and was wondering if should still change it every 3000 miles sum tell me every 6000 w/ synthetic

GuillaumeC91

Not trying to promote anything here, but I recently signed up to Amsoil to be a preferred customer. It's kinda of a relationship marketing thing so it can be weird, but for 30$ a year I get next day delivery of signature series Amsoil 5w20 and oil filters at cost prices. Kinda beats the store prices and makes oil changes real easy.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I ran 10-40 syn in my 2012 JKUR when I lived in AZ. No worries. In Colorado I went back to 5-30 especially since we had 15 below temps in Nov. It probably isn't a good idea to stray very far from manufacturer spec.:twocents:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Rumor is Chrysler went to 5W30 from 5W20 to eek better MPG numbers at the expense of reliability. Neither oil will hurt your engine. Having owned a 2012 that I fed 20 and now a 2014 with 30, I can say the 2012 ran smoother, but my 14 is still running dino (didn't have time and did my oil change at the dealer) so that is probably the reason...my 12 was running Mobil1.

Jeep10

Oil Viscosity

I switch to Amsoil at the first oil change (about 500 miles) and have run 5W20 ever since, changing oil once per year. I have 56K and run 75mph highway for hrs at a time, routinely with 33's. I run 35's on the trails and the oil pressures stay relatively the same as highway. I put a sandwich plate on the oil filter to pick up a pressure. Not saying this is the most optimal pick up point, at the filter, as pressures change pretty dramatically based on RPM's. If this engine ever pukes, and I have to pull it for an overhaul (I like the 4.1L overhaul), I will find a different place to pick up oil pressure. One thing about Amsoil is you have to use their prescribed oil and filter based on your vehicle make and model, or they will not cover engine damage. I have since changed everything over the Amsoil fluids. The preferred member is worth the cost to get cheaper pricing...and you typically change once a year.

Brankz

I recently switched over frm conventional motor oil on my 08 JK to synthetic and was wondering if should still change it every 3000 miles sum tell me every 6000 w/ synthetic

Just check and see if your oil is black I usually use royal purple but when I'm broke I use castrol full synthetic 5/20. I change the oil every 5 or 7k miles

aldaman

On my 2012 I use what's marked on the oil cap (5w-30). I use any brand synthetic oil that's available at the time of purchase. Usually Mobil 1 or Castrol syntec are readily available. Change the oil every 6k miles. So far so good (knock on wood) never had to add oil between changes and I check the oil level every week...

aldaman :thumb:

Top Bottom