2015 JKU hard rock came in with wrong navigation.

thechrisjones

Needing some professional insight on the navigation systems options in the new 2015 JK hard rock. I ordered mine specific to my wants. I told the dealer I wanted the best navigation system possible. Not knowing the options, he selected the 430n. When programming the navigation system I discover they offer a 730n... So I called the dealer and reminded him I wanted the newest and best nav and he told me the 430n again. I then advised him the 730n was the newest and best and I wanted 730n. He admitted he didn't realize that was a option. I told the dealer I want to pay the difference to get the 730n. The sales man acted as if it wouldn't be a problem but now the parts/service department is saying they can't do it and it can only be done at the factory!! Does anyone know if this is true??? Just picked the jeep up on the Dec 19th need help/advice as soon as possible. Thanks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i dont believe that is true as the head units can be swapped out. What i dont know is what the difference is between the 430n and 730n that could potentially make it true that it has to be installed from the factory.

i dont believe that is true as the head units can be swapped out. What i dont know is what the difference is between the 430n and 730n that could potentially make it true that it has to be installed from the factory.

The biggest difference between the two is the memory size. The 730N has I think 40gig and the 430N has 20gig. Other than that I think they are the same. Navigation is going to be the same as far as I know. I drive a sport and have to use a map or an app. :yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The biggest difference between the two is the memory size. The 730N has I think 40gig and the 430N has 20gig. Other than that I think they are the same. Navigation is going to be the same as far as I know. I drive a sport and have to use a map or an app. :yup:

ahhh ok thanks Will! learned something new. if its just memory size then yes they are easily swapable and the dealer is giving you a load of BS.

thechrisjones

It seems like the screen has a better quality picture. And it cost $2,800 dollars, so it's a $1,200 dollar difference... It's got to have something in addition to just 20 more GB right?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
There are other differences too. The 430n has the newest and latest Garmin navigation. The 730n has something else. The 430n has the new green background, the 730n has the blue theme still. The 730n has Sirius traffic and you can enter nav address by voice command, the 430n you can't. Although if it didn't come from factory I doubt you will get the 1 yr trial. The screen resolution is slightly higher in the 730n also.

There are hardware differences too. The Bluetooth module is built into the 730n, it's a second module for the 430n. You can swap the parts but it takes a few steps.

If you are happy with yours I would leave it. Good chances you will mess up your trail periods etc if you swap radios.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

scull20

I believe the 430N uses Garmin based navigation and the 730N uses NavTeq based navigation. I also think there may be some traffic features with the 730N built in with Sirius, but I am not positive. Beyond that, I do not know which features one navigation system offers over the other to justify the price difference.

EDIT: beat me to it above!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
The 430N is the standard for the JKU HR, so they probably just didn't change it. They should be able to swap it out, but they probably don't want to because they'll get stuck with the 430N in inventory....because it was their mistake, not the factory. You're just going to have to complain hard to get them to do it.

I'd probably go aftermarket before I bothered getting the 730N. It does look nicer, but not that much nicer. The real differentiator if you ask me is the no voice commands for nav. The 430N would be great if it just had that.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Needing some professional insight on the navigation systems options in the new 2015 JK hard rock. I ordered mine specific to my wants. I told the dealer I wanted the best navigation system possible. Not knowing the options, he selected the 430n. When programming the navigation system I discover they offer a 730n... So I called the dealer and reminded him I wanted the newest and best nav and he told me the 430n again. I then advised him the 730n was the newest and best and I wanted 730n. He admitted he didn't realize that was a option. I told the dealer I want to pay the difference to get the 730n. The sales man acted as if it wouldn't be a problem but now the parts/service department is saying they can't do it and it can only be done at the factory!! Does anyone know if this is true??? Just picked the jeep up on the Dec 19th need help/advice as soon as possible. Thanks

He did you a favor. The garmin nav on the 430 is superior to the 730....

I have the 730.

Part 2 of your question is BS. They absolutely can be swapped and people do it all the time.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
There are other differences too. The 430n has the newest and latest Garmin navigation. The 730n has something else. The 430n has the new green background, the 730n has the blue theme still. The 730n has Sirius traffic and you can enter nav address by voice command, the 430n you can't. Although if it didn't come from factory I doubt you will get the 1 yr trial. The screen resolution is slightly higher in the 730n also.

There are hardware differences too. The Bluetooth module is built into the 730n, it's a second module for the 430n. You can swap the parts but it takes a few steps.

If you are happy with yours I would leave it. Good chances you will mess up your trail periods etc if you swap radios.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

The voice command on the 730 sucks and takes FOREVER. I sh!t you not, I can pull over, walk into a starbucks, wait on a small line, get my caramel apple cider, get back in the jeep at the back of the lot, start it, and put in my address before you can voice command the 730 correctly.

OP, you're not missing out. 20GB vs 40GB is worthless as Im sure you have a smartphone and can bluetooth stream. The ONLY feature that is SEMI useful on the 730 is the split screen feature, but it aint worth $1200.

rescue7

The voice command on the 730 sucks and takes FOREVER. I sh!t you not, I can pull over, walk into a starbucks, wait on a small line, get my caramel apple cider, get back in the jeep at the back of the lot, start it, and put in my address before you can voice command the 730 correctly.

OP, you're not missing out. 20GB vs 40GB is worthless as Im sure you have a smartphone and can bluetooth stream. The ONLY feature that is SEMI useful on the 730 is the split screen feature, but it aint worth $1200.

Funny that this topic has come up. I've been spending the day trying to differenciate between the two NAV systems. So, you cannot do voice command with the 430? When you order the 430, do you still get the button on the steering wheel with the VR, or whatever? I read somewhere, that the resolution was better on the 730, and the maps were more detailed. Is this true? Also, it was mentioned about being able to do dead reckoning, and trail maps on the 730.

I too, want to understand the differences between these two systems. I was looking at getting a JKUR Hard Rock, so I am not sure what would come with it, if I ordered a NAV system.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Yes the 430 still has voice commands, you just cannot enter Nav address via it. And like said above, it isn't that great anyway lol.

As for dead reckoning not sure either one does it. Trail maps aren't on either one.

When you order a Rubicon you can pick either. The 730 is more than the 430. I personally like the newer look of the 430 theme vs the windows 98 theme on the 730. It's really up to you if you prefer slightly better resolution of the 730 and the nav tec nav or the lower resolution with garmin nav. They seem to update the Garmin nav much more often.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yes the 430 still has voice commands, you just cannot enter Nav address via it. And like said above, it isn't that great anyway lol.

As for dead reckoning not sure either one does it. Trail maps aren't on either one.

When you order a Rubicon you can pick either. The 730 is more than the 430. I personally like the newer look of the 430 theme vs the windows 98 theme on the 730. It's really up to you if you prefer slightly better resolution of the 730 and the nav tec nav or the lower resolution with garmin nav. They seem to update the Garmin nav much more often.

The resolution of the 730 sucks anyway.

Wardell

I have the 430n. Closest thing to "dead reckoning" is the ability to show your track. It's hidden in the menus. That will at least let you compare where you are to where you've been.

These are basically road GPS units, and that's all they are useful for. They are the same Nav/radio units as on other Chrysler vehicles, with nothing extra for Jeep owners to use when they go off road. Can't upload topo maps. Can't plot a destination by a map grid. Can't display basic info on your position, bearings, etc other than what is on the map. Can't change units from Lat Long or degrees to more useful units like MGRS and Mils.

My suggestion, get the 430n and save the rest for a proper GPS to use off road, which will only cost you a couple hundred bucks. Them put the rest into other mods.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have the 430n. Closest thing to "dead reckoning" is the ability to show your track. It's hidden in the menus. That will at least let you compare where you are to where you've been.

These are basically road GPS units, and that's all they are useful for. They are the same Nav/radio units as on other Chrysler vehicles, with nothing extra for Jeep owners to use when they go off road. Can't upload topo maps. Can't plot a destination by a map grid. Can't display basic info on your position, bearings, etc other than what is on the map. Can't change units from Lat Long or degrees to more useful units like MGRS and Mils.

My suggestion, get the 430n and save the rest for a proper GPS to use off road, which will only cost you a couple hundred bucks. Them put the rest into other mods.

I concur. Hell, the extra change can get an Ipad with GAIA GPS on it and is MUCH more useful offroad, or any other quality tablet (preferably one with expandable storage and swappable SD cards.)

Top Bottom