2011 Rubicon brake replacements

Matymaty

I'm at the dealer and they said I need new rear brake pads and rotors. 500 bucks.

There is about 34k miles on it. Any suggestions? I can probably do it myself. Do I get factory parts or are the any good after market ones?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm at the dealer and they said I need new rear brake pads and rotors. 500 bucks.

There is about 34k miles on it. Any suggestions? I can probably do it myself. Do I get factory parts or are the any good after market ones?

you could do it yourself and for alot cheaper as well as learn something new. i would suggest factory replacement since it will offer the same stopping power as oem but at a cheaper cost. Crown should have oem rotors and pads available

tapcola

If you have some time look on Amazon they have many setups you can get pads and rotors for like 175 or so , I bought the power stop kit myself . whole job took maybe an hour .

MarkW13

Would something like this be ok? Or do I need a front kit to even it out? View attachment 116055

You can do just the rear brakes.

Technically, you could just repair the bad wheel. I have always done both sides of front or rear and would only consider a single wheel repair in an emergency just to get home.

You can go down to your local auto parts store and they should have everything you need in stock.

I went to Orielly's and picked up their brake pads with life time warranty. As long as I do not wear them down past the V they will replace them. Funny thing is my old dealer said the same thing and when I went to change them there was about 40% left. Check them your self. Look for the V and how much pad is left. You might have to take the wheel off but it will be worth it.

Are your brakes making a noise?

Most service writers work off of commission and try to sell you services to pay their bills and the mechanic makes a slight commission as well.

Rebel JK

You shouldn't take their word for it on the rotors unless you were noticing something was obviously wrong like they're warped. Unless you like spending money on unneeded parts, you should check yourself while you change out the pads. The minimum rotor thickness should be labeled inside the rotor (maybe I'm mistaken on this one but is on Ford & GM). Unless you've already had them turned or let the pad rivets eat the rotors,I wouldn't expect them to be down to minimum. Pick up a digital caliper/ micrometer and see where your at.

Clark Collins

While you are doing the brake job I recommend that you ensure that the movable parts of the calipers move freely. I did my rear brakes and one of the calipers was sticking so I had to take it apart again and disassemble the caliper and put some anti seize on the shafts so that it worked properly. It'll save you some time to check this out before putting things back together.

MarkW13

You shouldn't take their word for it on the rotors unless you were noticing something was obviously wrong like they're warped. Unless you like spending money on unneeded parts, you should check yourself while you change out the pads. The minimum rotor thickness should be labeled inside the rotor (maybe I'm mistaken on this one but is on Ford & GM). Unless you've already had them turned or let the pad rivets eat the rotors,I wouldn't expect them to be down to minimum. Pick up a digital caliper/ micrometer and see where your at.

My uncle is a mechanic by trade. He told me the modern rotors are basically disposable. The manufacturers have been trying to make cars as light as possible and brake rotors have been lightened so much that there is not enough thickness to warrant turning. The last set I had turned warped within a month and had to be replaced.

JMO buy new rotors. You'll save time and money in the long run.

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I got bout 60,000 before replacing. Do it yourself, just go cheap on pads. Bought mine from O'Reilly's as well as used Eddie's write up. Now if you pay for my plane ticket and shack me up I'll come do your brakes for free.:cheesy:

MarkW13

I got bout 60,000 before replacing. Do it yourself, just go cheap on pads. Bought mine from O'Reilly's as well as used Eddie's write up. Now if you pay for my plane ticket and shack me up I'll come do your brakes for free.:cheesy:

I was thinking you should fly out on your dime and produce a video about changing the brakes so he can get a free set of slotted rotors from ebc. Ha.

Top Bottom