Essential Armor?

Country

I did a quick search and was not able to find anything, so here goes...my '14 JKU Sahara Altitude is stock at the moment. I took it out to non-threatening trail here on Oahu (Kaena Point) and became painfully aware of clearance issues. What do you consider the essential armor/skids? The one issue I had was the front differential, so I am guessing that's a good place to start. What are the more vulnerable areas that do not hold up well? I will eventually leave Hawaii and hopefully end up in Colorado, so I would like to get armor that will hold up in the future.
Thanks and Happy holidays!

Last edited:

jknikos

The only way to add some armor to the differential is a new aftermarket cover. But it will not do much. Even with that you dont want to hit your diff in places.:naw: So the way to go is bigger tires. Bigger tires make your diff sit higher so it is safer.;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a manual transmission, you will just want an oil pan skid plate like what Rancho or EVO makes. If you have an automatic, you will want something like an EVO ProTek system as it will protect your oil pan, transmission cooler lines and sump pan - all these things are exposed and have no protection. Everything else under your Jeep already has skid plates and while they will get beat up, they will do their job great. HD differential covers are not needed but, they are cheap and look nice.

Jtmw

If you have a manual transmission, you will just want an oil pan skid plate like what Rancho or EVO makes. If you have an automatic, you will want something like an EVO ProTek system as it will protect your oil pan, transmission cooler lines and sump pan - all these things are exposed and have no protection. Everything else under your Jeep already has skid plates and while they will get beat up, they will do their job great. HD differential covers are not needed but, they are cheap and look nice.

Eddie, a manual trans you recommend just an oil pan skid, Just for the bare necessities? Obviously at some point I'm assuming the major players should be covered.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, a manual trans you recommend just an oil pan skid, Just for the bare necessities? Obviously at some point I'm assuming the major players should be covered.

Obviously? LOL!! Well, I think the only thing that is obvious here is that I'm no "major player" as I have NEVER run anything more than an aftermarket oil pan skid on ANY of the manual transmission Jeeps I've ever owned including Moby.

hbkid22

Obviously? LOL!! Well, I think the only thing that is obvious here is that I'm no "major player" as I have NEVER run anything more than an aftermarket oil pan skid on ANY of the manual transmission Jeeps I've ever owned including Moby.

Eddie. Why don't you need the protek system for a manual? I know I need the oil pan but is it the way the manuals are configured? I was looking at the protek system but if you say keep the stock and just add oil pan that is good to know.

EZ-E

I don't think that's what he meant. I think 'major players' are in reference to the rest of the components under his rig besides the oil pan, not calling you out. Haha....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie. Why don't you need the protek system for a manual? I know I need the oil pan but is it the way the manuals are configured? I was looking at the protek system but if you say keep the stock and just add oil pan that is good to know.

Manuals sit higher up and don't have a sump pan or cooler lines that can get damaged. The odds of you hitting your transmission let alone hard enough to damage it is very very low. In all the years I have been wheeling, I don't think I've EVER hit my manual transmission.

I don't think that's what he meant. I think 'major players' are in reference to the rest of the components under his rig besides the oil pan, not calling you out. Haha....

:cheesy: Now that I re-read it like that, I must say I feel a little silly :blush:

That being said, in the 8 years the JK has been out, I have yet to see or even hear of a single factory skid plate failing. Sure, you hear of people go on and on about how theirs is all beat up and how it makes them worried BUT, that is not the same thing as the skids failing them. To this day, ALL my Jeeps still run factory skid plates and in Moby's case, they're the same ones that were put on at the factory 8 years ago. Come to think of it, now that we have an LS and a automatic, we don't even have skids to protect them and we beat the crap out of Moby on the JKX. :crazyeyes:

Jtmw

This is what I meant! Apologies for poor communication Eddie!

LeighP

If you're worried about the axle centres, Rancho makes a skid (bolt on) that allows you to slide on the centre without damaging the casting....I believe AEV (?) also makes similar for the rear.

RAN-differential-glide-plate-4.jpg

Not sure how useful these are, I have no personal experience.

I'm planning on an skid that protect the bottom of the engine and auto trans pan.....thats enough for my use, though I may think about these Rancho diff glides.

David1tontj

The only way to add some armor to the differential is a new aftermarket cover. But it will not do much. Even with that you dont want to hit your diff in places.:naw: So the way to go is bigger tires.

You must be buying the wrong covers then... I have cut through two different factory diff covers on rocks.

The ones I have now are 3/8" thick steel.. Not cast... Ballistic fabrication. They are strong enough to hold up to anything. Seriously.. Sometimes if I'm getting hung up, I can just ram the rock on of the way with them.

If you're worried about the axle centres, Rancho makes a skid (bolt on) that allows you to slide on the centre without damaging the casting....I believe AEV (?) also makes similar for the rear.

View attachment 116269

Not sure how useful these are, I have no personal experience.

Please don't waste your money on one of these! The cast section that it is "protecting" doesn't need protection... I've slid mine over hundreds of rocks with no issues. And you don't want that giant shovel of a skid plate anyway.

Here's that ballistic 3/8" cover ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419494153.998959.jpg .

jknikos

@David1tonTJ

Ok i will consider buying some stronger diff covers. Either way not so many rocky playgrounds where i live. So probably thats why i have never had problem with factory diff covers yet.

Christarp

Quick question for you folks out there; I traded my sahara steps to my neighbor for his rubi rails because his kids needed the steps, and I figured it was beneficial to both of us, now I know the rubi rails just bolt on, I did the swap for us. How strong are the rubi rails though? I took a decent hit on one of them during a trail at tillamook state forest the other day and seemed to hold up alright, is there a big problem with them? Or is it just that people also want a decent step and that's why they're given away for free basically.

Top Bottom