Excessive Oil Consumption

Moochie

After doing over 3000 miles of an oil consumption test, which showed that my 2008, with 73,000 miles on it, was using 2.5 - 3.5 quarts per 1000 miles, the dealership contacted Chrysler. They wanted me to bring it in for more testing.

I dropped it off yesterday morning for a 2 day visit with the doctor. I just called to see if i could pick it up. Not yet, they need it for some more time. The engine is in the middle of a tear down so they can check the cylinder walls to see if there is damage caused by bad rings.

My hope is that this and whatever repair is needed will be covered by my "Lifetime Power Train Warranty". I never received an estimate for any of this work. I don't know what other tests were done previous to the engine tear down. Maybe compression tests?

I'm nervously awaiting the results of all this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I feel for you man - Here's hoping they do you right and just swap out your motor. Please keep us up to date with what happens.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Good luck with that Moochie! I hope your not suffering separation anxiety too bad! Maybe they will throw a new 3.6L Penstar in for your Birthday!

Take two of these and call me in the morning :beer::beer:

Moochie

No conclusion yet. According to the service advisor the rings and cylinder walls appear to be good. They are now taking a look at the top end, maybe an issue with the valves.

Moochie

I might not be getting my Jeep back for a while. They are pulling the heads and getting permission from me to spend time on removing some of my mods from under the hood that will be in their way. Such as my PSC hydro assist reservoir and small air tank used for my towing brake system (break away). Ultimately if needed, they will have to be paid extra to remove my winch and front bumper so they can have access to pull the engine.

Moochie

They have found the problem. Oil leaking through valve guides on cylinders 5 & 6. They will replace both heads. :)

MTG

Caught the Bug
Moochie said:
I think it should be done by early next week. It depends on how fast they can get the heads.

That's great news! At least you're not waiting for a 3.6l head.

Top Bottom