2010 with check engine light

Gadget

Caught the Bug
My wife has a 2010 4 door wrangler and the check engine light came on this morning, I tried the process for finding the code under the Rubicat thread and it didn't work, is the procedure different for the 2010?

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
check your gas cap - you can take it to an auto parts store and they can pressure check it. If it is your gas cap, replace it. It may take a few days for the code to clear or you can reset by disconnecting the battery ground cable for about 15 minutes.

do the steps in the write up again, it's important not to go beyond the "On" position or you'll need to turn it off and start again.

do the On/Off in a smooth series, no need to pause from one to the other. The write up instructions work, I've done it on my 2010

StrizzyChris

did your display say anything at all? or did it say --------- then fallowed by ---done---?

If it didn't give you a code at all, then you did the key dance wrong, and you should try it a few more times. If the latter, then you will need to go to the dealership and have them run a scan to figure out the issue.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Finally got it to work, it said P0456 then the dashes and then done. I looked up the code "Evap purge system small leak" sounds like possibly the gas cap, anybody had this and know something different?

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Ah, the dreaded 0456 code. I had that for nearly a year til finally figured out what it was. I have two suggestions aside from checking/ replacing gas cap. One is to check the small plastic hose near the charcoal canister and battery in engine bay. The hose sometimes gets worn and cracks because it rubs on the battery or gets corroded from battery corrosion. The other common source of leak is at the evap canister under the jeep. On my 07 the small white plastic box that's attached to the evap can was the culprit. I picked up a new one for around $17, replaced it, and this took care of leak. This was around 2 years ago. Good luck. Finding the leak can be a pita. Have patience and you'll get it eventually.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
The little white box part I replaced is called the fuel leak detection pump. I had to go back and look through some old messages to get the part name. I don't know if that's your problem but it's not an expensive part to replace.

JKWrang

The leak detection pump on my dakota was CONSTANTLY going. Personally i think its a waste if this part that's supposed to detect leaks breaks and leaks causing the leak it detects lol

Top Bottom