Oh god , baby jesus #cia

jkuone

Hey Wayalifers, apparently a fellow jeeper I know has this thing about going with aftermarket CAi
My view is the 3.6 doesn't need it and there is real no benefit . I have read claims wear dealerships
Have actually denied warenty work because of aftermarket CAi's and the ones Mopar sell's. Thoughts please
I think it's money wasted

Last edited:

Bacon

Hahaha, I had to read this twice before I figured out you're talking about cold air intake (CAI) and not the CIA. The title really had me wondering what this was gonna be all about!

MTG

Caught the Bug
curiosity killed this cat. :yup:

ttfhell will chime and that that should /thread.

TheDuff

Waste of money and not worth the risk of potential engine failure with warranty being voided for using it.

Hey Wayalifers, apparently a fellow jeeper I know has this thing about going with aftermarket CAi
My view is the 3.6 doesn't need it and there is real no benefit . I have read claims wear dealerships
Have actually denied warenty work because of aftermarket CAi's and the ones Mopar sell's. Thoughts please
I think it's money wasted

Only reason I swapped mine was because my PSC reservoir wouldn't fit with stock one. I would say if possible leave stock airbox and just upgrade the filter inside.

LeighP

Doesn't need it, they pretty much don't do anything except markedly increase the risk of water ingestion......tell him to stay away.
If he wants to spend money, tell him to fit a snorkel....at least they do something, and won't be the subject of hydrolocking an engine.

Wardell

I have read claims wear dealerships
Have actually denied warenty work because of aftermarket CAi's and the ones Mopar sell's.

Aftermarket mods don't void your warranty or anything like that, but they can deny you warranty coverage if the parts you added are found to be the cause of damage. I've read of one case (I think it was on another thread on here) of someone who had an aftermarket CAI installed incorrectly (it might have even been the Mopar one), which caused dirt to be sucked into the engine and wearing out the parts inside. Since the failed CAI install was the source of the dirt and thus the cause of the engine damage, the warranty wouldn't cover it. That's just one pretty extreme situation though. If the damage had been caused by something other than the CAI, it would still have been under warranty.

That said, I agree with the others here. You don't gain anything from having a CAI on a Jeep that makes it worthwhile. If anything, he's better off with a snorkel.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A CAI "can" offer some benefits but ONLY if you have headers and a high flow exhaust. Even at that, the benefits are more times than not, minimal at best and without all three, you get nothing but a throatier sound, some times a whistle and a LOT more dust in the engine.

As mentioned, I have one but only because I have a PSC reservoir and it helps to make it fit. If I could get replace it with another factory box and a paper filter, I would in a heartbeat.

ttfhell

A CAI "can" offer some benefits but ONLY if you have headers and a high flow exhaust. Even at that, the benefits are more times than not, minimal at best and without all three, you get nothing but a throatier sound, some times a whistle and a LOT more dust in the engine.

As mentioned, I have one but only because I have a PSC reservoir and it helps to make it fit. If I could get replace it with another factory box and a paper filter, I would in a heartbeat.

Have you seen the new PSC mount/setup for the factory box? Looks like you can use the factory box. Just need some silicone around the hose to the pump.

Top Bottom