Need Advice For Reliable Tranny Cooler

JK LYF

Please forgive me if there is a thread already posted on this. Did a search first and found a short one, not too much info though. I have an 08 2dr auto. I'm looking to get a tranny cooler in the next several days. The thread I found gave a favorable review on the BM cooler, but again, not too much info. Any WAL members that can give me some input on a cooler? Your input is much appreciated.

jeeeep

Hooked
Please forgive me if there is a thread already posted on this. Did a search first and found a short one, not too much info though. I have an 08 2dr auto. I'm looking to get a tranny cooler in the next several days. The thread I found gave a favorable review on the BM cooler, but again, not too much info. Any WAL members that can give me some input on a cooler? Your input is much appreciated.

My JK came with a trans cooler stock but I've used B&M coolers in the past and never had an issue with them. Their stack plate design provides for more surface area = better cooling.

I'd stay away from the tube & fin design.

LeighP

I've used the B&M coolers before. I like them, and they work great. Quality piece of gear.

This is the large one I fitted to my 71 Firebird, but if you're using one in conjunction with the radiator cooler (I wasn't), then you would use one half this size.

JeepFan

Hooked
The factory accessory add-on trans cooler for your '08 will fit perfectly and protect your trans. :yup:

part number 82212486

2011jk

Ford SD cooler, very cheap used and $25 in parts and your done.

Attachments

• IMG_0673 (2).jpg
    IMG_0673 (2).jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 84

pastorwug

Off Road Warehouse makes an add-on Tranny cooler that fits perfectly, come with great instructions and cools efficiently.

JK LYF

Thanks to all who gave input. It looks like I can't go wrong with the flex a lite or b&m. Some seem to like the flat plate over the tubes. I guess either way they both work.

I found tranny cooler info on google but it's always nice to hear what WAL members are actually using.

JK LYF

If you don't mind me asking...why would one need a transmission cooler?

Not at all. I have an auto, and it's an 08. I took the rig out on some trails for most of the day and at one point my engine went into a limp mode. I let it sit for awhile and it recovered. After talking with some guys I figured out the tranny got to hot. My understanding is that up until 2012, the tranny coolers (for autos) weren't that good, but, I'm kinda learning so someone else may chime in with a lot more knowledge.

Moochie

2008's had a safety recall to add the "hot oil" message to the dash. Before this, it was just a random chime to warn about hot transmission fluid. Did you see or hear any of these two warnings?
While climbing on the dirt, driving in 4 lo and keeping the RPMs near 3000, helps to keep the fluid cooler. Even if 4 lo isn't necessarily required for the trail.

UpsideUp

Is this a common problem amongst Jeeps? I'm new to the Jeep world and I have had my temp run hot off road in the desert summer with running in 4 low and high RPM's but I'm sure the engine temp and Tranny temp are a separate issue? Is this more likely to happen with bigger wheels? Outside temp? Towing? Etc. Just trying to learn a thing or two...sorry for the highjack.

JK LYF

2008's had a safety recall to add the "hot oil" message to the dash. Before this, it was just a random chime to warn about hot transmission fluid. Did you see or hear any of these two warnings?
While climbing on the dirt, driving in 4 lo and keeping the RPMs near 3000, helps to keep the fluid cooler. Even if 4 lo isn't necessarily required for the trail.

I forgot which light came on but it was related to the tranny. It took about 20 minutes to cool. Not a good feeling when your in the middle of nowhere!

JK LYF

Is this a common problem amongst Jeeps? I'm new to the Jeep world and I have had my temp run hot off road in the desert summer with running in 4 low and high RPM's but I'm sure the engine temp and Tranny temp are a separate issue? Is this more likely to happen with bigger wheels? Outside temp? Towing? Etc. Just trying to learn a thing or two...sorry for the highjack.

I'm not sure how it works with a manual tranny. I've only heard of the tranny cooler being placed on the autos. I'm learning about this aw well!

estarr

Keeping your jeep in a gear rather than drive helps. I had the same problem but last time I used 1st and 2nd and had no problems that way it's not searching for gears.

Top Bottom