Picked up a take off 2013 Sport D44, not sure what I've got here.

JCDriller

Good evening, tonight I picked up a take off D44 from a 2013 sport, it's geared in 4.88 which I needed so I *thought* I'd just get a new axle instead of paying to have mine regeared. However, now that I have the axle at home and I'm comparing it to my factory axle all the bracketry is different. After contacting the owner and admitting that I'm a compete rookie I found out it had EVO bolt on coil overs installed. I can see its got a raised track bar bracket and the spring perches have been cut off, but I can't identify the other bracketry and I don't know if it'll work with standard shocks and control arms. Can anyone help me figure out what I've got here and what I need to bolt this guy up to my JKU.

Last edited:

JCDriller

Had a long arm kit as well. You will need all new brackets. Should have done your research first.

I can't disagree with this statement, the seller also didn't know the mounts were different. He sold it as a factory axle that had 4.88s installed. Nice guy, said he'd return the money if it won't work, but gonna spend 4 hours driving again!

I was hoping this was just a raised shock mount similar to my rock stars. So even if I have adjustable control arms and add spring perches this guy won't work unless i have long arms?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I can't disagree with this statement, the seller also didn't know the mounts were different. He sold it as a factory axle that had 4.88s installed. Nice guy, said he'd return the money if it won't work, but gonna spend 4 hours driving again!

I was hoping this was just a raised shock mount similar to my rock stars. So even if I have adjustable control arms and add spring perches this guy won't work unless i have long arms?

You need factory brackets. Chop all those brackets off and put the factory ones on. A couple companies sell the factory brackets, I think around $400, then have them all welded back on, couple hundred more. You'd be into it for close to $700-800 when all is said and done.

JCDriller

You need factory brackets. Chop all those brackets off and put the factory ones on. A couple companies sell the factory brackets, I think around $400, then have them all welded back on, couple hundred more. You'd be into it for close to $700-800 when all is said and done.

I have found the bracketry, Looks like ARTEC has a rear lower control arm mount with skid for $99 and their perches are $70

jk4427.jpg

rear-coil.jpg

I can grind it smooth, but I'm without a welder so I'll have to pay to have it welded on. I've got $350 in the axle so I'll end up somewhere close to your estimate, maybe a hair less. I've got a JKU sitting on 35" trail grapplers and a TF budget boost with shock extensions, rubi rockers. I've got a Rubi take off D44 in the garage with RCVs, Reids, EVO Raised TB, Synergy DL, Synergy BJs, Synergy sleeves, EVO Skids & Gussets, 4.88s, and rubi locker. I'm trying to set myself up for EJS weekend in March and I'm on a 3k budget, this axle was supposed to be a cheap way for me to complete other jeep projects prior to completely rebuilding my stock rear axle. I have no OBA but I do CO2. My options are.

Option A: Grind off brackets, install ARTEC LCA mounts and Perches, $700.00 to include price of spare axle with 4.88s installed by EVO. Sell 3.21 factory axle assembly with Rock Star Skids for a couple hundred (possibly just part out shafts and skids). TOTAL Cost around $400-500 spend remaining budget on full lift RK 3.5 X Factor, Rock Hard Skids (tranny, transfer, gas tank and evap relocation), 1310 Front DS. Benefits of this are stronger LCA mounts and no spring bowing with new perches.

Option B: Return axle, have rear end regeared to 4.88 and have 35 spline ARB, Chromo shafts installed & duel ARB compressor. Delay everything else but skids. Total would be $350 cash back for the rear axle, cost of $2800 to rebuild mine TOTAL:2450 Spend remainder on Skids. **DL flip/Reid fitment issues**

The biggest problem I'm having with my budget is the Rubi front axle I purchased already has reids and DL flip set up which won't fit with my budget boost. So if I do option B I'll most likely have to go over my budget or end up with two sweet axles and no cash to buy the lift necessary to install them. Of course I know I can do MOAB without all this, just seems crazy to spend all this money and not get to use it on our trip.

This is the front axle, found it locally for $2500 IMG_2351.jpg

Last edited:

JCDriller

After thinking about this I decided to stick with the stock axle and either strip the gears or return thing guy. Just too much work and money for what it is. Thank goodness the seller is being so cool about it, Jeepers are an amazing group of guys.

ETA: the seller refunded $150, so I've got $200 in the axle. I'm just going to pull the R&P and reuse them in my other D44. Everyone wins.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
After thinking about this I decided to stick with the stock axle and either strip the gears or return thing guy. Just too much work and money for what it is. Thank goodness the seller is being so cool about it, Jeepers are an amazing group of guys.

ETA: the seller refunded $150, so I've got $200 in the axle. I'm just going to pull the R&P and reuse them in my other D44. Everyone wins.

Your better off getting the stock brackets at that price. It'll cost you the same to have new gears put in your old axle.

JAGS

Hooked
^^^^ Overlander makes a good point here OP. Plus you risk damaging the gears in the swap, then you're SOL. Shop for the brackets and then see where you really stand.

Or just go long arms and coilovers. Then you're all set. 😉

KingCopperhead

Overlander nailed it. Better off biting the bullet at this point and getting the brackets. Plus gas isn't free. 4 hour trip to return those axles is going to be two tanks of gas.

Top Bottom