2000 XJ Leak?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, what you've circled is the corner of your oil pan and if that's just motor oil, it's probably just your RMS or rear main seal leaking as that is common on a 4.0L. But, if you're trying to highlight the metal tube beyond it and the fluid isn't motor oil, you probably have a transmission line with a quick connect that is leaking. Another common problem.

Hack12

Well, what you've circled is the corner of your oil pan and if that's just motor oil, it's probably just your RMS or rear main seal leaking as that is common on a 4.0L. But, if you're trying to highlight the metal tube beyond it and the fluid isn't motor oil, you probably have a transmission line with a quick connect that is leaking. Another common problem.

Thanks, Eddie. Either doesn't sound too bad, luckily.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Right, but is the fluid getting sprayed on to your pan and just dripping there or is it leaking from somewhere else and ending up there or, is the leak just coming from that point. I'm going to guess it's not the later and would recommend that you thoroughly clean the area and drive around so that you can get a better idea of where the leak IS coming from. :yup:

Hack12

Right, but is the fluid getting sprayed on to your pan and just dripping there or is it leaking from somewhere else and ending up there or, is the leak just coming from that point. I'm going to guess it's not the later and would recommend that you thoroughly clean the area and drive around so that you can get a better idea of where the leak IS coming from. :yup:

Will do. Thanks for the advice. I'll update as soon as I know more.

xj-jake

Start at the top and work your way down. Could be as simple as a valve cover gasket or your oil filter adapter block leaking too. Before you throw the time and effort at dropping the pan and trying to replace the rear main seal I'd try to pin it down.

Hack12

Start at the top and work your way down. Could be as simple as a valve cover gasket or your oil filter adapter block leaking too. Before you throw the time and effort at dropping the pan and trying to replace the rear main seal I'd try to pin it down.

Thanks!

I'm bringing it to my mechanic buddy on Monday to install the 3" lift so I'll have him take a look at the leak too. I won't be driving it until then either since it's my extra vehicle.

We shall see...

jmatta33

I had this on my old XJ. I replaced valve cover gasket, oil filter gasket, and RMS. they are all common leak points on the XJ. RMS is the most difficult to change, everything else isnt too bad. I was changing out the transmission at tge same time, so it made changing the RMS a lot easier.

Hack12

I had this on my old XJ. I replaced valve cover gasket, oil filter gasket, and RMS. they are all common leak points on the XJ. RMS is the most difficult to change, everything else isnt too bad. I was changing out the transmission at tge same time, so it made changing the RMS a lot easier.

Good to know. I'm not surprised, I just wanna get all the kinks out of the way before I start using it full time.

Hack12

Assuming it is the RMS, what kind of pricetag am I looking at to have it replaced?

I only ask because I'm wondering whether it'd be worth it to bring back to the used dealer I bought it from a few weeks ago or my trusted mechanic. Difference being, the used dealer may fix it for free but my mechanic will certainly charge. I just trust him a hell of a lot more.

jmatta33

Assuming it is the RMS, what kind of pricetag am I looking at to have it replaced?

I only ask because I'm wondering whether it'd be worth it to bring back to the used dealer I bought it from a few weeks ago or my trusted mechanic. Difference being, the used dealer may fix it for free but my mechanic will certainly charge. I just trust him a hell of a lot more.

oh i imagine it will be a few hundred dollars at the dealer as its a bit time consuming project. there are video and photographic turorials out there on it as its a really common replacement for XJs.

jmatta33

if you can have someone replace it free of charge i would definately go that route. just google XJ RMS replacement and you'll see a bunch of tutorials. if you think you can do it yourself and your only other option is to pay, then definately do it yourself.

Hack12

Here is the convo I just had with the used dealer I bought the XJ off of last week. Would you guys assume, as I have, that the RMS would be covered under a standard power train warranty?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419735149.613138.jpg

Last edited:

Hack12

...there are video and photographic turorials out there on it as its a really common replacement for XJs.

Yeah, after reading a couple tutorials and watching an in depth YouTube video, I've come to the conclusion that my XJ will be much more appreciative if I have a professional do it! :yup:

if you can have someone replace it free of charge i would definately go that route...

Amen to that.

jmatta33

Yeah, after reading a couple tutorials and watching an in depth YouTube video, I've come to the conclusion that my XJ will be much more appreciative if I have a professional do it! :yup:

Amen to that.

definately cant blame you. i would however suggest cleaning everything off really well and then taking it out for a drive to re inspect where tge leak is coming from. 90% of the time it comes from the valve covers and the way it drips down, it makes it look like its coming from the RMS. To be safe I changed out all the gaskets on my XJ lol. good luck, hope you get it fixed!

Hack12

definately cant blame you. i would however suggest cleaning everything off really well and then taking it out for a drive to re inspect where tge leak is coming from. 90% of the time it comes from the valve covers and the way it drips down, it makes it look like its coming from the RMS. To be safe I changed out all the gaskets on my XJ lol. good luck, hope you get it fixed!

Thanks man, appreciate all the help. I do have a 1 year power train warranty from the used dealership I bought it from. Would all these seals and/or gaskets be covered, you think?

jmatta33

Thanks man, appreciate all the help. I do have a 1 year power train warranty from the used dealership I bought it from. Would all these seals and/or gaskets be covered, you think?

not sure about warranty stuff. if its a good dealership then they can probably make it work. others make it their life goal to deny warranty as if they were responsible for paying the bill personally. valve covers and oil pans are easy. valve covers just requires some good prep to make sure everything goes back in the proper place. oil pan you can just pull and swap the gaskets after you drain the oil. Basically if its not leaking oil, its not an XJ lol! Its part of the whole XJ experience!

Hack12

not sure about warranty stuff. if its a good dealership then they can probably make it work. others make it their life goal to deny warranty as if they were responsible for paying the bill personally. valve covers and oil pans are easy. valve covers just requires some good prep to make sure everything goes back in the proper place. oil pan you can just pull and swap the gaskets after you drain the oil. Basically if its not leaking oil, its not an XJ lol! Its part of the whole XJ experience!

Lol, good to know.

Top Bottom