4/5 point harnesses with factory seats?

MTG

Caught the Bug
So I've researched this a bit and found competing information on the inter webs (no surprise there), so I thought I'd see if anyone on here has done it before or had thoughts about it.

I'm thinking about adding harnesses for the rear seats in the JKU. This is for the kids and only for off road use. Essentially to keep them from flopping around in the back seat…they seem to move around a bit with the factory leather seats and belts and even bang their heads when going over rocks. I realize I can buy aftermarket seats, but my preference would be to retain the factory seats at this time.

Thoughts? Opinions? Generally useless posts that seem to follow my threads. :cheesy:

Edit: I thought I remembered a thread on here recently, but I can't find it. I'm sure Overlander will link it for me though. ;)

Last edited:

BadApple

Jku should be on the easy side to install! I installed them on my 2 dr a while back and had to drill holes through the floor and mount with the suppliedhardware but added a piece of 1/4 inch steel on the nut side that is a 2x2 with a hole drilled through it just as an added measure for the bolts possibly pulling through. The instructions said you could use nutserts but i do not trust that at all. On the 4dr the rear seats are bolted in, correct? If so you could more than likely mount them at the bolting point for them.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I know I can install them. The question is more along the lines of whether I should. And more specifically do so with factory seats.

BadApple

I know I can install them. The question is more along the lines of whether I should. And more specifically do so with factory seats.

You can run them with factory seats as long as you have a harness bar. Rockhard makes one which is what i use. If you dont have one in a crash its more prone to injure instead of secure because the jk seat are not really made for use with 5pts.

GCM 2

It's completely possible with rear factory seats, it will take a little ingenuity for the mounting of the lap belts, but the the shoulder harnesses will be a piece of cake with rear Rock Hard 4x4 harness bar. If you have not already researched this (I'm sure your thorough self has though), just adhere to these set of safety mount no rules

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/Articles.asp?ID=248

BadApple

It's completely possible with rear factory seats, it will take a little ingenuity for the mounting of the lap belts, but the the shoulder harnesses will be a piece of cake with rear Rock Hard 4x4 harness bar. If you have not already researched this (I'm sure your thorough self has though), just adhere to these set of safety mount no rules

After reading this i need to come up with a better solution for my rear belts. Are there any harnesses that mount to the harness bar and do not require anchoring to the body also how would you do the lap belt portion with factory seats?
Thanks for some good info GCM!

GCM 2

.....Are there any harnesses that mount to the harness bar and do not require anchoring to the body

No, harness bars are either a bolt-in modification, like the Rock Hard 4x4 which will tie into the existing factory cage, or welded in as part of a full cage that is tied into the frame of the vehicle.

also how would you do the lap belt portion with factory seats?

You would need to either utilize the existing factory seat belt mounting points, and/or possibly bolt the new lap belts into the actual rearward most seat mounting bolts. I am nowhere near my jeep right now so I cannot take a look at what the mounting locations look like. However, an example I can use to show how I mounted my spare tire's three point tie-down restraint does use some of the seat mounting bolts and this is sort of the idea that you could attempt with lap belts. There are many more rear seat bolts, I just cannot remember what the actual locations are.

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

BadApple

No, harness bars are either a bolt-in modification, like the Rock Hard 4x4 which will tie into the existing factory cage, or welded in as part of a full cage that is tied into the frame of the vehicle.

You would need to either utilize the existing factory seat belt mounting points, and/or possibly bolt the new lap belts into the actual rearward most seat mounting bolts. I am nowhere near my jeep right now so I cannot take a look at what the mounting locations look like. However, an example I can use to show how I mounted my spare tire's three point tie-down restraint does use some of the seat mounting bolts and this is sort of the idea that you could attempt with lap belts. There are many more rear seat bolts, I just cannot remember what the actual locations are.

View attachment 116628

View attachment 116629

No, i know the bars mount to the cage, I have them front and rear maybe i said it wrong. Lol. What i meant was can any harnesses be connected directly to the bar which you mentioned in the second part here are not. I have mine mounted through the tub in the back of my 2 door, the lap belts come through where the upper and lower portion of the seat are and the shoulders go through the bar I was wondering if there were any better ways to mount them. The fronts i have mounted to the seat bolts but i will be buying the Synergy mounts when i get back home next week.

LeighP

If this is to stop the kids from flopping around due to the inertia belts not staying tight, you could buy a pair of CG Locks for the stock belts.
These locks clip to the belts (no permanent mod required) and they basically lock the lap part of the belt to positively retain someone in their seat, while leaving the upper section of chest part free to move and react as normal.

It may be this is a cheap, safe and simple fix for you.

http://www.cg-lock.com/

JAGS

Hooked
I ask this same general question in another thread a while back. Was able to get to roughly the same point...possible, but better/best option?

My other question when factoring everything was the seatbelt light on the dash. Ok, maybe a stupid reason, but if you bypass the stock belts, that light would be on constantly. Is there way to trick the light?

Interested to see if you pull the trigger on this MTG.

BadApple

I ask this same general question in another thread a while back. Was able to get to roughly the same point...possible, but better/best option?

My other question when factoring everything was the seatbelt light on the dash. Ok, maybe a stupid reason, but if you bypass the stock belts, that light would be on constantly. Is there way to trick the light?

Interested to see if you pull the trigger on this MTG.

On 2011+ JKs to disable the light and the ding you do this:

Buckle your seatbelt before doing this
Turn the ignition to the second click/on but not running
Wait for the seatbelt light to go out
Once the light is out buckle/unbuckle 3 times
You will then hear the Jeep ding indicating it has been turned off
To turn it back on do the same sequence.

There are actually a bunch of little things you can do like this to your 11+ JK

MTG

Caught the Bug

Yeah thanks! Those are two of my concerns…the lap belt routing and the shoulder harness bar. While the rock hard is the simplest solution I'm thinking it might be too high for kids. :idontknow:

Must do more research. Although I'm a bit to the point of paralysis by analysis. :yup:

MTG

Caught the Bug
If this is to stop the kids from flopping around due to the inertia belts not staying tight, you could buy a pair of CG Locks for the stock belts.
These locks clip to the belts (no permanent mod required) and they basically lock the lap part of the belt to positively retain someone in their seat, while leaving the upper section of chest part free to move and react as normal.

It may be this is a cheap, safe and simple fix for you.

http://www.cg-lock.com/

Thanks for posting this. I had not seen that before. Looks interesting. This and the shoulder strap locked might just be the way to go. It's cheap enough I might have to give it a test.

metalic

So I've researched this a bit and found competing information on the inter webs (no surprise there), so I thought I'd see if anyone on here has done it before or had thoughts about it.

I'm thinking about adding harnesses for the rear seats in the JKU. This is for the kids and only for off road use. Essentially to keep them from flopping around in the back seat…they seem to move around a bit with the factory leather seats and belts and even bang their heads when going over rocks. I realize I can buy aftermarket seats, but my preference would be to retain the factory seats at this time.

Thoughts? Opinions? Generally useless posts that seem to follow my threads. :cheesy:

Edit: I thought I remembered a thread on here recently, but I can't find it. I'm sure Overlander will link it for me though. ;)

Did you ever complete this? If so any pics and/or instructions for the next guy?

Top Bottom