2013 jk sport stuck in 4 high

Crjgregory2

I am new to jeeps. My 2013 jk sport has just over 20,000 miles. We went up to the mountains to take the kids sledding. We had it in 4 high and it handled great in the snow. When getting back on the road, it wouldn't drop back into 2 wheel drive. I reversed and hit the brakes. It dropped into two wheel. At home (where it is warmer) I put it in 4 high and had to do the same thing to get it back into 2 wheel drive. Should I trouble shoot anything, or does this sound like a transfer case cable issue? Any help would be appreciated.

jkuone

Could be a problem with the cheap plastic bushings on either end of the shifter cable.
Might give those a look at.....

07JKSahara

Probably just the quirk of all t cases. They sometimes need a tiny bit of SLOW movement to mesh.

Although, that cable is a pita in the cold. You might consider replacing it anyway, 1. Then you know how, and 2. you know you have the right tools.

Crjgregory2

Cable might have come off

Thank you for all the Replies. The cable and bushing are still intact at the transfer case. I assume they are in place at the shifter because I can get it to go into 4 high. It just doesn't come back out without a lot of swerving, or reversing with quick stops.

noroad

Thank you for all the Replies. The cable and bushing are still intact at the transfer case. I assume they are in place at the shifter because I can get it to go into 4 high. It just doesn't come back out without a lot of swerving, or reversing with quick stops.

Could be something like the vacuum switch or the seal on it, have you looked at the vent hose to make sure its not blocked?

Edit
Here is a good break down
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-transfer-case/wrangler-jk-nvg241-gen2.htm

Last edited:

Crjgregory2

Vaccum seal

Could be something like the vacuum switch or the seal on it, have you looked at the vent hose to make sure its not blocked?
That is beyond my knowledge base. I am going to have to remove the console to check the knob attachment. In order to check anything else I will have to do some more reading to figure it out.

07JKSahara

That is beyond my knowledge base. I am going to have to remove the console to check the knob attachment. In order to check anything else I will have to do some more reading to figure it out.

The console is the Pain. If you can shift it at all, it's not the bushing. When the bushing breaks the lever goes completely floppy and loose.

dannymalkin

Not sure about the new jeeps but the console is fairly easy to take off in my 08.

Anyway only a small part of the linkage is under the console, see the picture attached.

The other end of the linkage is directly above the transfer case side of the front driveshaft. I would just check it all for visible problems. That's as far as my personal experience goes!

1419820032023.jpg

07JKSahara

Not sure about the new jeeps but the console is fairly easy to take off in my 08.

Anyway only a small part of the linkage is under the console, see the picture attached.

The other end of the linkage is directly above the transfer case side of the front driveshaft. I would just check it all for visible problems. That's as far as my personal experience goes!

Manual or auto? My auto was so hard to get it forward and slip over the shifter? Excellent pic though!

dannymalkin

Manual or auto? My auto was so hard to get it forward and slip over the shifter? Excellent pic though!

Manual haha, for me it was four allen bolts, take off the shift knobs and pull the e brake all the way. It did still take a good little while though

CJW

Try shifting while in neutral. If it still doesn't go put it in drive and roll slowly while moving the shifter. It should pop in then. Sometimes the TCase just needs help aligning the gears. I feel that it's hardest to do while in gear and stopped.

Crjgregory2

Shifting in neutral

Try shifting while in neutral. If it still doesn't go put it in drive and roll slowly while moving the shifter. It should pop in then. Sometimes the TCase just needs help aligning the gears. I feel that it's hardest to do while in gear and stopped.
Thanks. I will try the neutral trick. I took the jeep to the dealer. I have made a few upgrades, but not to the transfer case. With only 22k on the jeep they were going to to do everything under the warranty. Unfortunately, the shop foreman explained that brand new jeeps off the delivery truck have this issue. I was surprised because that doesn't meet the definition of four wheel on the fly. Still love the jeep though. Gets us places no other vehicle can. Thanks again!

Top Bottom