Superchips Traildash and GPS/Compass issues

sitruc

Just installed a Traildash in dashpod per instructions and was required to move the compass a bit (per instructions), also had to move GPS antenna for clearance reasons (now sitting on top of radio).
My location on NAV unit is now WAY off. Any ideas on what might be wrong or what I can check out?

Thanks,
sitruc

sitruc

Just installed a Traildash in dashpod per instructions and was required to move the compass a bit (per instructions), also had to move GPS antenna for clearance reasons (now sitting on top of radio).
My location on NAV unit is now WAY off. Any ideas on what might be wrong or what I can check out?

Thanks,
sitruc

After doing more research it appears I need to relocate the GPS antenna away from the Traildash. So I'm looking for an external antenna with FAKRA "C" connector (same as factory) with longer cable or a FAKRA "C" male to female extension cable.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
After doing more research it appears I need to relocate the GPS antenna away from the Traildash. So I'm looking for an external antenna with FAKRA "C" connector (same as factory) with longer cable or a FAKRA "C" male to female extension cable.

Let us know what you do on this - I have a feeling this might come up again. You could probably make the cable if you can find that connector.

sitruc

I just decided to remove the Dashpod and go back to stock. I'm just going to use the suction mount. Everything works as designed now! :)

DjVb

I had the same issue on my 14 JKU. I moved my GPS antenna to the top of the roll bar above the sound bar.

Wardell

Hmmm... I was just starting to look at getting one of these, but it's the first I've seen anyone mention interference issues with the GPS. That's good to know about...

sitruc, how far away from the GPS do you end up having to stick the trail dash for the GPS to work without interference?

It's been too cold for the suction cup mount I have for my phone to stay on the window, so I'll probably have to find a completely different mounting solution for the Trail Dash too. I was thinking about using a handlebar mount style bracket (similar to this) for my phone once I get a sport cage, and clamp that to the bar above the dash. That one wouldn't fit the trail dash because of how the cords come out of the back, but I wonder if I could modify the suction cup mount that comes with the it so it will mount it the same way.

sitruc

Hmmm... I was just starting to look at getting one of these, but it's the first I've seen anyone mention interference issues with the GPS. That's good to know about...

sitruc, how far away from the GPS do you end up having to stick the trail dash for the GPS to work without interference?

It's been too cold for the suction cup mount I have for my phone to stay on the window, so I'll probably have to find a completely different mounting solution for the Trail Dash too. I was thinking about using a handlebar mount style bracket (similar to this) for my phone once I get a sport cage, and clamp that to the bar above the dash. That one wouldn't fit the trail dash because of how the cords come out of the back, but I wonder if I could modify the suction cup mount that comes with the it so it will mount it the same way.

I didn't feel like digging into the dash again to extend the GPS antenna so like I said previously I just put the compass and GPS back to stock. I'v tried the Traildash in a couple locations but haven't settled on one yet. The suction cup mount for the TD seems very secure, just put a little moisture (spit/water) around the sealing edge and all should be good. :clap2::clap2:

Wardell

I didn't feel like digging into the dash again to extend the GPS antenna so like I said previously I just put the compass and GPS back to stock. I'v tried the Traildash in a couple locations but haven't settled on one yet. The suction cup mount for the TD seems very secure, just put a little moisture (spit/water) around the sealing edge and all should be good. :clap2::clap2:

Hmmm, so it sounds like it's mostly interference caused by the dash pod mount itself rather than by the Trail Dash itself or its cables. From your profile, it looks like you have an older JK too (2008). They make a different mount for the 2011+ interior, so I wonder if anyone with that is having the same issues.

Also, I've tried wetting the suction cup. No joy. The problem I'm having is that it's so cold that the rubber in the suction cup itself is freezing and loosing it's all its flexibility, so it can't keep any suction and falls off right away. Weird stuff like this happens when it's -30° out...

sitruc

Hmmm, so it sounds like it's mostly interference caused by the dash pod mount itself rather than by the Trail Dash itself or its cables. From your profile, it looks like you have an older JK too (2008). They make a different mount for the 2011+ interior, so I wonder if anyone with that is having the same issues.

Also, I've tried wetting the suction cup. No joy. The problem I'm having is that it's so cold that the rubber in the suction cup itself is freezing and loosing it's all its flexibility, so it can't keep any suction and falls off right away. Weird stuff like this happens when it's -30° out...

Yes, I have an '08. Not sure what things look like on the newer dash. The instructions have you relocate the compass rcvr closer to the windshield under the pod but nothing about the GPS so I just tried to set it where it would fit which essentially right under the TD. :( The NAV was MILES off! :crazyeyes:

DjVb

Did you extend the GPS antenna cable or get a new antenna?

No, the Pioneer gps antenna cable was 12ft long. I did have the same problem you are experiencing. I have a 14 JK and used the Daystar mount that puts the traildash in the same place as your pod. My nav location was way off when it was located near the traildash.

Top Bottom