Trail Set Up

JSTJPN

Good evening fellow Jeepers. I have a 2011 JK Unlimited. So far I have added a 4 in lift, better stabilizer, and added 35's. Everything else is factory. I drive this rig quite often to work, the beach and mountains. Now that I have seen the vids of Moab I want to get it ready for the April ride. I welcome any and all suggestions on what I need to improve my rig so that I can enjoy the trip from GA to UT and the trails of Moab. I don't plan to hit any trails that are rated higher than a 6.

Dave

MarkW13

Good evening fellow Jeepers. I have a 2011 JK Unlimited. So far I have added a 4 in lift, better stabilizer, and added 35's. Everything else is factory. I drive this rig quite often to work, the beach and mountains. Now that I have seen the vids of Moab I want to get it ready for the April ride. I welcome any and all suggestions on what I need to improve my rig so that I can enjoy the trip from GA to UT and the trails of Moab. I don't plan to hit any trails that are rated higher than a 6.

Dave

If you haven't, change the gears. Rock sliders are mandatory. Get some recovery gear and a fire extinguisher.

I've been told people have lots of fun on the easy trails. They just take in the sights and relax.

Speeddmn

Well it all depends on what your end goal and budget allows. Some items you should take into consideration are new drive shafts, gears, lockers, new front axle housing, sliders, armor, skids, front and rear recovery points, recovery gear, winch, tools, cb, fire protection, roll over protection, etc. Now is all that needed for a mainly daily driver, nope. If you plan to hit trails that these items can help protect your jeep then figure out what is more important to you.

I've been to Moab a couple times, once stock, once with a budget boost, tires, winch, etc. Both times I had plenty of fun and didnt do anything I wassnt able to handle. Know your limits and advoid spots that will break things.

No matter what tho, enjoy the ride and have fun!

jeeeep

Hooked

Dave

Since you have the 3.6 and it's a manual, your gears should be fine. As mentioned, look at upgrading the rock rails to something that offers more side protection; oil pan skid if you don't have one; front drive shaft if you still have stock shaft - the articulation may tear away the rubber boot and then it's a matter of time before it's toast.

extras to think about:
recovery gear - tow strap,
fire extinguisher,
front drive shaft if you still have stock shaft - the articulation may tear away the rubber boot and then it's a matter of time before it's toast,
air compressor to air up after the trails,
make sure your spare is snug against your mount and has no play in it - the trails will rattle it if it's not flat against the mount/tire bump stops,
I'd recommend taking a spare air filter - Moab is dusty and it's much easier to use one on the trail and have a nice clean one to drive home with (I clean the trail filter after each run depending on how dusty,
hand tools in case of trail fixes,
1st aid kit
All trails are done in groups so even if you don't have everything, Jeepers are always there to help you in a bind :thumb:

Jk909

Since you have the 3.6 and it's a manual, your gears should be fine. As mentioned, look at upgrading the rock rails to something that offers more side protection; oil pan skid if you don't have one; front drive shaft if you still have stock shaft - the articulation may tear away the rubber boot and then it's a matter of time before it's toast.

extras to think about:
recovery gear - tow strap,
fire extinguisher,
front drive shaft if you still have stock shaft - the articulation may tear away the rubber boot and then it's a matter of time before it's toast,
air compressor to air up after the trails,
make sure your spare is snug against your mount and has no play in it - the trails will rattle it if it's not flat against the mount/tire bump stops,
I'd recommend taking a spare air filter - Moab is dusty and it's much easier to use one on the trail and have a nice clean one to drive home with (I clean the trail filter after each run depending on how dusty,
hand tools in case of trail fixes,
1st aid kit
All trails are done in groups so even if you don't have everything, Jeepers are always there to help you in a bind :thumb:

I think 2011 had the 3.8.

jeeeep

Hooked
my bad, it is the 3.8..so to the OP, what gears do you have?

Still, it's a manual so it doesn't suffer as bad as the automatic.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I've been going to Moab for 25 years. You'll be fine on most trails. But I echo what has been said before. Avoid hard obstacles and have a strap and go with a buddy.
You will be surprised what a 4 dr JK on 35s can do. Just make sure to air down to 12-15 psi for extra traction.

My cousin has a setup like yours and we've done Moab Rim, Hells Revenge, Golden Spike and Cliffhanger with his. Granted he is an excellent driver and has been going to Moab almost as long as I have.

linehand08

I was kinda wondering where that came from too. :confused:

A hole lot a fumble bumble and not a hole lot of in intelligent conversation.

If your headed to Moab with a Dana 30 front do not spin the front at all with 35's as you WILL break it . I haven't gathered that your going with a Rubicon or not no gear combo or nothing are you fucking around here or have you not done any research at all. I get the Newb thing but read some shit first. Brush up on your Google Foo. Sorry for the offense. but fuck sake's.

TAKE LOT'S OF WATER YOUR GONNA NEED IT.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
You won't break your D30 unless you drive like an idiot.

I've been on all of the trails I mentioned with my cousins jeep setup like yours and no issue. Don't believe all the hype about moab being super tough. It can be, but there are hundreds of rental jeeps on the trails everyday that are abused and make it out. Just don't do the extra obstacles.

Even still. I have ProRock 60s on my JK.

MarkW13

You won't break your D30 unless you drive like an idiot.

I've been on all of the trails I mentioned with my cousins jeep setup like yours and no issue. Don't believe all the hype about moab being super tough. It can be, but there are hundreds of rental jeeps on the trails everyday that are abused and make it out. Just don't do the extra obstacles.

Even still. I have ProRock 60s on my JK.

Ran the Rubicon and the dusy ershim twice with a high pinion 30 on my yj. Has 35's. Like he said don't be stupid and everything will be fine.

jeeeep

Hooked

If your headed to Moab with a Dana 30 front do not spin the front at all with 35's as you WILL break it . I haven't gathered that your going with a Rubicon or not no gear combo or nothing are you fucking around here or have you not done any research at all. I get the Newb thing but read some shit first. Brush up on your Google Foo. Sorry for the offense. but fuck sake's.

and your input is intelligent conversation?? not everyone is an instant expert like you, that's why they ask questions. Maybe asking a few follow-up questions of your own to the OP would have prompted a more intelligent conversation but then again you don't seem like the type.

If you are speaking from experience then the OP probably doesn't need your advice as it seems you have a very different driving style than most.

My brother has a sport on 35's and does just fine in Moab, he has spun his tires but it's just the nature of some trails...then again he doesn't have a front locker to cause the kind of damage that spinning and getting sudden traction might cause and he doesn't drive like he's racing KOH.

ttfhell

and your input is intelligent conversation?? not everyone is an instant expert like you, that's why they ask questions. Maybe asking a few follow-up questions of your own to the OP would have prompted a more intelligent conversation but then again you don't seem like the type.

If you are speaking from experience then the OP probably doesn't need your advice as it seems you have a very different driving style than most.

My brother has a sport on 35's and does just fine in Moab, he has spun his tires but it's just the nature of some trails...then again he doesn't have a front locker to cause the kind of damage that spinning and getting sudden traction might cause and he doesn't drive like he's racing KOH.

Dude. You WILL break it! Come on now everybody knows if you spin your tires it will break lol. My friend must have a magic Dana 30 as I've ran the rubicon twice with him, spent a few days at Sand Hollow, Corral Canyon a couple times, everything in Big Bear, as well as JV without a break. Drive it right.

For the trail ratings the op mentioned he will be fine, with sliders, especially as the trails are conservatively rated at Moab. If it looks stupid hard a bypass is likely available.

"A hole lot a fumble bumble and not a hole lot of in intelligent conversation" - Well that's ironic.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Are you actually retarded or just a dumb fuck? Curious minds want to know.

Wow. What a welcoming response. Im sure his trip will be successful thanks to all that sound advice.

JSTJPN

linehand08,

if I wanted your sarcastic comments I would have asked for it. I see that you may have a great detail of knowledge on trail riding but I also see that you are not very good at communicating above a 7th grade level.

No need to reply as your comments are not wanted or needed.

Have a great day.

JSTJPN

A big thank you to everyone who had positive input. I am a "cherry" when it comes to trail riding in areas such as Moab. Here in the south we don't have many trails that have rocks like in the west. Most of you have confirmed what I have found on the web so I feel better about what to put on my rig. As far as the safety gear goes the Army taught me well on what to carry into areas with little to no outside support.

Hope you all have a great and safe New Year. Maybe I will meet some of you on the trail in April.

Dave

"JSTJPN"

Top Bottom