Fire Extinguisher Questions

mastrcruse

I'm thinking I'll carry 2 extinguishers. I'm thinking I'll keep 2.5lb in the jeep at all times. Now, looking at them, I shake my head at the prices of Fire extinguishers from companies like 4wd...$100 a piece. Is there a reason why I shouldn't just head to lowes, get 2 FE's rates ABC and go with that? These seem to be $25 a piece.

tuna

You can recharge and re-use the pricier ones, but $100 is a bit much for that size. $50-70 isn't uncommon, though. They will be the last fire extinguishers you probably (hopefully) need for that vehicle.
I'm carrying 2x H3R Performance MX250R's. Havent had to use them and hope I never do.

noroad

go buy a small ( A B C )one at Home depot for 20 bucks! i run with two of them. keep them on there sides and spin every so often!

mastrcruse

Halguards seem to be the ones I can find and they run 130-170 for 2.5lbs.

I'm okay with 50 or so. What other brands/places should I be looking
Thanks!

tuna

Thanks! So what's the difference between that rechargeable FE for $25 vs he halguard for $160?

I'm reading that the "HalGuard" ones are "clean agent" and aren't corrosive when you spray it all over your vehicle. That's about all I could find :idontknow:

Jackal01

Thanks! So what's the difference between that rechargeable FE for $25 vs he halguard for $160?

The cheaper one is an ABC Dry Chemical (most common extinguisher around). Halguard is Halotron (similar to now-banned Halon). Halotron is a clean agent which means it leaves no residue unlike the dry chem ones.The cheaper dry chem extinguishers cannot be refilled if they lose pressure, get used, etc. The good, reusable ones have a metal control head not plastic like the cheap ones. Both extinguisher types can be used on ABC fires. Halotron is awesome if you can afford it. But for the price of one Halotron you can get two reusable dry chems. The 20 buck ones are most likely one-time use. A refill/recharge on the good dry chems costs around $20 I believe, depends on the company, how much poweder, etc.

Last edited:

MarkW13

The cheaper one is an ABC Dry Chemical (most common extinguisher around). Halguard is Halotron (similar to now-banned Halon). Halotron is a clean agent which means it leaves no residue unlike the dry chem ones.The cheaper dry chem extinguishers cannot be refilled if they lose pressure, get used, etc. The good, reusable ones have a metal control head not plastic like the cheap ones. Both extinguisher types can be used on ABC fires. Halotron is awesome if you can afford it. But for the price of one Halotron you can get two reusable dry chems. The 20 buck ones are most likely one-time use. A refill/recharge on the good dry chems costs around $20 I believe, depends on the company, how much poweder, etc.

Not sure where to start. Halon\halotron or other similar extinguishers are used primarily for sensitive electrical equipment. ie computers. They are a clean agent and actually interrupt the chemical chain reaction and displace oxygen, but they provide little to no cooling effect. They are also highly toxic.

CO2 can be used similarly, but the low temperatures associated with CO2 can cause water vapor to form causing a short in highly sensitive electronics.

ABC extinguishers are the most common. Each unit of A rating has an equivalent of 1.25 gallons of water. The B rating corresponds to square footage of flammable liquid fire.

An ABC extinguisher is by far the best choice to carry on a vehicle. It has the ability to extinguish ordinary combustibles (a), flammable liquids (b), and energized electrical (c). The trade off is they are not great at anything and are quite messy with the powder discharge.

I suggest an abc extinguisher with a metal head because they can be serviced. Costco sells good larger extinguishers for around $30.

LeighP

I'm in the aviation industry, so I've always used various halon style extinguishers....I've had a Halguard one before, excellent quality.
I really dislike dry chem extinguishers after seeing just how much clean up is required after one was used in a jet trainer's cockpit.
That said, I've come to think the dry chem is probably the best general purpose extinguisher to carry for a 4WD......they'll pretty much do the sort of fires you might expect to find.
Reality is, the clean up required after using dry chem pales beside the damage a fire causes.....

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Reality is, the clean up required after using dry chem pales beside the damage a fire causes.....

this is my thought as well. i would rather clean up the chemicals left over than whatever was damaged by fire.

Jackal01

Have a lot of info on this topic. Choosing a starting point was my biggest issue.

Got it. My post was like a reader's digest of yours. Lol

It was been talked about before, too, but I didn't feel like finding the thread on my phone.

Armydog

Shake, invert and tap the bottom of dry chemical extinguishers periodically to prevent the chemicals from solidifying at the bottom. I do this when I change the oil. Good preventative maintenance procedure. Never can be over prepared

Jackal01

Shake, invert and tap the bottom of dry chemical extinguishers periodically to prevent the chemicals from solidifying at the bottom. I do this when I change the oil. Good preventative maintenance procedure. Never can be over prepared

Also, every 6 years it needs maintenance and every 12 years hydrostatic test (same as maintenance except also adding in the hydro test). A visual inspection should be done monthly. This goes for the dry chems (and a few other types) with metal control heads not the cheapos since they cannot be tested due to the plastic control heads.

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

And also check the meter to ensure they have proper charge. People forget to do that so much.

Top Bottom