Quick CB antenna question

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Just wrapped up installing my CB and during the process I discovered that I was unable to use the tailgate mount for the antenna as the mount interfered with my AEV Fuel Caddy. As a result, I have mounted the antenna to the top of the AEV tire carrier mast. The antenna is a 3' Firestik II mounted to Firestik quick disconnect.

Because of the change in mounting location, my antenna is now considerably higher than originally planned. I realize this will offer great range, but I know I'll probably rip it off the first time I start wondering through the woods.

All of that said, if I keep the current mounting location, I would like to change the antenna. I like the two foot option, but Firestik does not offer a 2' Firefly (their flexible antenna). So, do I change to a 2' Firestik II to reduce the height, or change to a 3' Firefly to gain flexibility?

Thanks!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Just wrapped up installing my CB and during the process I discovered that I was unable to use the tailgate mount for the antenna as the mount interfered with my AEV Fuel Caddy. As a result, I have mounted the antenna to the top of the AEV tire carrier mast. The antenna is a 3' Firestik II mounted to Firestik quick disconnect.

Because of the change in mounting location, my antenna is now considerably higher than originally planned. I realize this will offer great range, but I know I'll probably rip it off the first time I start wondering through the woods.

All of that said, if I keep the current mounting location, I would like to change the antenna. I like the two foot option, but Firestik does not offer a 2' Firefly (their flexible antenna). So, do I change to a 2' Firestik II to reduce the height, or change to a 3' Firefly to gain flexibility?

Thanks!

I've never had a problem with the firestick's being too rigid - the FS II should be fine, but you could always get a flex spring mount instead of a quick disconnect so that it has some more give. You could also try mounting it to the front of your vehicle like your radio ant.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Here is how the install wrapped up. I was able to get the SWR down to about 2.0 across all channels. Planning to change to a spring mount and a 2' FireStik.

Attachments

• 1420046340819.jpg
    1420046340819.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 157
  • 1420046357939.jpg
    1420046357939.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 1420046365668.jpg
    1420046365668.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 154

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I've never had a problem with the firestick's being too rigid - the FS II should be fine, but you could always get a flex spring mount instead of a quick disconnect so that it has some more give. You could also try mounting it to the front of your vehicle like your radio ant.

i would get a flex spring as mentioned. i believe that you can use the flex spring and still utilize the quick disco at the same time. that way you can disco when driving around town but still have the extra flexability on the trail

Here is how the install wrapped up. I was able to get the SWR down to about 2.0 across all channels. Planning to change to a spring mount and a 2' FireStik.

The fire ring will work on either side but if you have room I would try to put it underneath to relieve some pressure on it.

AlStew

Quick question about My CB. I keep getting a antenna warning. My SWR is reading low on 1 and 40. I read that I could have a problem with coax ground. Is this true? I'm wondering if I tightened the fire ring too much.

Thanks!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Quick question about My CB. I keep getting a antenna warning. My SWR is reading low on 1 and 40. I read that I could have a problem with coax ground. Is this true? I'm wondering if I tightened the fire ring too much.

Thanks!

yeah check your ground at the base of the antenna. i got that warning as well when i installed mine. turned out that the powder coat on my tire carrier wasnt allowing for a good ground. took some of it off and i was good to go.

AlStew

yeah check your ground at the base of the antenna. i got that warning as well when i installed mine. turned out that the powder coat on my tire carrier wasnt allowing for a good ground. took some of it off and i was good to go.

Okay ran a test on the radio and its failing. I'll try to remove some powder coat and try again. Thanks for the quick reply!!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420062892.302264.jpg

View attachment 117164

Thanks for the help guys. I followed the directions on the install.

That part looks good.

The stock bolts for the tailgate have a Nylon washer - It looks like steel but it is not. I will assume you removed the powder coat from the underside of the antenna bracket where the fire ring touches. And from the bracket where 1 of the bolts go through. The problem could be the nylon washer not allowing a path to ground through the bracket.

You can check the bracket first by running a wire from the Neg terminal on your battery to your Ohm meter then the other lead to the bracket where you removed the powder coat (with the coax removed). If 0 or very very low then remove the lead from the wire and place it on one of the bolts that go into the tailgate. This should also be 0 if not remove the nylon washer from the factory bolt and some powder coat and try again.

This is hard to explain - via the keyboard

Remember checking for ground with the coax connected is not good as you are getting a weak path to ground via the coax/radio

Possible culprit
washer.jpg

KJ_CJtoJK

From the photo's it looks like you ran the coax thru the fabric wire loom from the body to the tailgate? If so, you may want to change this. I ran my cable like this and it only lasted a little over a year until it shorted out in the loom area where it had a tight kink when the tailgate was shut. I just reinstalled new coax and this time I ran a larger radius outside of the loom. It exits the trim on the tub above the loom area at top of the plastic trim (near top of tub).

AlStew

From the photo's it looks like you ran the coax thru the fabric wire loom from the body to the tailgate? If so, you may want to change this. I ran my cable like this and it only lasted a little over a year until it shorted out in the loom area where it had a tight kink when the tailgate was shut. I just reinstalled new coax and this time I ran a larger radius outside of the loom. It exits the trim on the tub above the loom area at top of the plastic trim (near top of tub).

Okay that's good to know! I ran the coax on the outside of that fabric because I was lazy and now I'm glad to know it wasn't a bad decision.

AlStew

That part looks good.

The stock bolts for the tailgate have a Nylon washer - It looks like steel but it is not. I will assume you removed the powder coat from the underside of the antenna bracket where the fire ring touches. And from the bracket where 1 of the bolts go through. The problem could be the nylon washer not allowing a path to ground through the bracket.

You can check the bracket first by running a wire from the Neg terminal on your battery to your Ohm meter then the other lead to the bracket where you removed the powder coat (with the coax removed). If 0 or very very low then remove the lead from the wire and place it on one of the bolts that go into the tailgate. This should also be 0 if not remove the nylon washer from the factory bolt and some powder coat and try again.

This is hard to explain - via the keyboard

Remember checking for ground with the coax connected is not good as you are getting a weak path to ground via the coax/radio

Possible culprit

Okay I figured it out and I wouldn't have remembered if you hadn't jogged my memory.

When I installed my tramp stamp to the tailgate I had put some robber O-rings behind the tramp stamp to kind of act as a moister barrier. Seemed like a good idea at the time. But that's why there was no ground.

Thanks for the help cheers 🍻🍻🍻
And happy NYE!

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug

Really good to know! Next time I pull the rear trim apart (won't be too long until new backup lights are going in), I'll make this change.

Thanks!

Top Bottom