Snow Hunting

jesse3638

Hooked
Here in So-Cal were experiencing and unusual cold spell. The high desert is expecting some snow over night but I'm trying to find some now. I'm planning on heading up towards Big Bear in an hour or so. Going to go up the back way 3N14 (Coxy Truck Trail) and do some exploring. Anyone else interested? I know it's short notice but I thought it could be fun.

JKVADER

We are supposed to get some snow here in Vegas tonight and tomorrow! really excited!:fingerscrossed::driving:

jesse3638

Hooked
Made it! Went to big pine flats. Found a camp fire and had lunch.

Attachments

• 1419988826511.jpg
    1419988826511.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 109

Paws

We are headed up tomorrow, Wednesday. Need to find a spot for the kid and dog to let loose and play.

jesse3638

Hooked
We are headed up tomorrow, Wednesday. Need to find a spot for the kid and dog to let loose and play.

Didn't have a lot of time as I didn't want to be driving down in the snowy darkness but there is supposed to be a good place to sled near the intersection of 3N14 and 4N16. Its supposed to be just west of there. If nothing else Big Pine Flats was pretty secluded and was fun. There will probably be a significant amount of snow tomorrow as it was dumping when we left.

Paws

3n14 is off of "rim of the world drive" right?

We are living here San Diego at 6am ish - so it should be nice when we get up there. Hope 3n14 is still accessible.

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah it starts right there. Just head into Fawnskin on Hwy 38 and head north. There are signs marked 3N14 just take that to Big Pine Flats. 4N16 intersects 3N14 there.

Attachments

• 1419991566831.jpg
    1419991566831.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 99

Paws

Yeah it starts right there. Just head into Fawnskin on Hwy 38 and head north. There are signs marked 3N14 just take that to Big Pine Flats. 4N16 intersects 3N14 there.

Almost made it to big bear until I hit the checkpoint. They were turning around all vehicles that didn't have chains, even Jeeps. I don't get it. Not only did I sit in a long line of cars but they let busses go with no chains. Was pretty aggravated.

We turned around and went to Idlewild which is around 6000 feet. Pulled over in a park we knew about that didn't have tracks. The dog and kid had fun. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420065930.013970.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
Almost made it to big bear until I hit the checkpoint. They were turning around all vehicles that didn't have chains, even Jeeps. I don't get it. Not only did I sit in a long line of cars but they let busses go with no chains. Was pretty aggravated.

We turned around and went to Idlewild which is around 6000 feet. Pulled over in a park we knew about that didn't have tracks. The dog and kid had fun. View attachment 117141

That's good. I'm still glad you got to have some fun. I should have told you how to go the back way from the desert side. No CHP on Coxy Truck Trail..;)

Top Bottom