Goodyear Duratracs vs. BFG KM2

Renagade119

Hey guys!!! Im new to Jeeping (got my first one in June!!) and Im looking into tires. I do quite a bit of reading and I see that BFG KM2's are real popular and seem like a classic. The other one I notice thats getting lots of praise is the Goodyear Duratracs. Ive been leaning towards the dt's but Im still not quite sure. My jeep is stock and Im 17 so I have a small budget, my Jeeps a daily driver and I do go offroading but not as much as I would like. Anybody got some opinions or reviews? Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
welcome to wayalife!!

regarding your question, is it safe to assume you get snow up in your neck of the woods? if so, i would get the duratracs for sure. they are a better tire to run in snow and icy conditions :yup:

Renagade119

Hahahahaha yes, thats something I should have clarified. Here is Canada we only have 2 months of summer :D That seems like pretty common knowledge, everyone seems to think that duratracs are the way to go for snow. Any other points youd like to add or anything else? Im willing to take every argument into consideration. Thanks guys!

Renagade119

I just had a brain wave, someone circle the calendar! I was talking to another guy about the duratracs and he said screw the dt's and go right for the MTR's. Whatta you think?

MTG

Caught the Bug
My duratracs did great in the snow. They have a ton of siping in the tread.

Last edited:

Renagade119

Thanks man, its looks like everyone loves the duratracs. I had posted on another forum just to get a wider variety of opinions and boy, the people over there must be anti-duratrac to the core. All i got in response was people asking me if i was stupid, asking what i was thinking, etc. They are all saying go with the MTR's. Whatta you guys think of those? They look pretty sweet

Indefatigable

Where in Canada?

West coast... winter, what is that? when it rains for 6 month solid and you forget what the sun looks like? SAD is infecting the population?

Or are you in Edmonton?

Trail_Creeper

I have no personal experience with the KM2s but the duratracs did real well in the snow, as well as the old style MTRs. I had the duratracs on a ZJ in Alaska and had no issues with them. As for the MTRs, I have yet to try out the "new" MTRs w/ kevlar in the snow yet. I have been running the new style MTRs for a little over a year now and love them. I will get my first review of these in the snow here next winter, but I have seen a few people on the Alaska4x4Network that are running the new MTRs. Couple of those guys are old friends of mine and love them.

Holeshot

Banned
I'M in Quebec/canada, we have snow from november to end of march/april! I have ran the old mtr's on my last jeep, liked them, but for street use during winter... it acts like a M/T :doh:

Now I'm running the DT's on my new jk since june, did almost anything, from street use to swamp, mud, sand, rock, gravel roads, and they perform well!! very satisfied. I havn't tried them in the snow yet, but at the shop I work, DT's are a great seller!! We have tons of pick-up trucks who works in forestery and run them all year long.

I have about 6000 km on mine 'till now, they look like new. They roll like street tires, very quiet, and easy to balance!

I cought a couple trucks who ran the mtr-k, and they were all worn-out so badly that the entire truck shook while moving in the shop yard. It's enough for me, mtr-k = no go.

Renagade119

Wow, thanks guys. Im in Saskatchewan so we get snow pretty much 9 months of the year. So I guess it look like I'll be getting the duratracs when some money comes my way...

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I have run Duratracs and felt they were an exceptional winter tire (night and day better than the stock KM's). While I don't have personal experience with MTR-K's, I have read of numerous people having balancing issues with the 35" size.

Holeshot

Banned
I have run Duratracs and felt they were an exceptional winter tire (night and day better than the stock KM's).

I wouldn't say "exceptional" as it is nothing compared to real winter tires, like toyo's GSI 5, etc. BUT, for an agressive tire that is 100% legal for winter, that looks good, and still perform better than any other M/T below 0 degree, IMO they're the way to go.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Holeshot said:
I wouldn't say "exceptional" as it is nothing compared to real winter tires, like toyo's GSI 5, etc. BUT, for an agressive tire that is 100% legal for winter, that looks good, and still perform better than any other M/T below 0 degree, IMO they're the way to go.

Exceptional compared to any other 33+" tire I have run, but I can't say I've run those toyos.

Holeshot

Banned
well I believe that if you live in nevada, you probably don't need such a winter tire ^^

here we have temperature from -15 centigrade down to some occasional -40 during winter... so winter tires are a MUST.. in fact, by the law you have to put certified winter tires up here.

And I agree that the DT's are the best winter tire around for 33+, in fact, they're almost the only available that are certified with the mountain/snow flake logo which make them winter legal here. Dunno if it's the same in the US though.

Skirmish

Depends on where in Nevada. Reno/Tahoe and other mountain regions in the north see a lot of snow. Even 40 miles from Las Vegas there is a ski hill. Part of the reason I bought a Jeep was to be able to snowboard when the roads are restricted to 4wd or chains.

Holeshot

Banned
ho! I knew there was snow down there, but never thought it was enough for ski hills :rock:

this is where I am

VD.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Lol. I'm sure you have heard of Lake Tahoe; it's about twenty-five minutes away from my house. There are about ten ski resorts within 45 minutes of my house.

Attachments

• image-3454520618.jpg
    image-3454520618.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 110
Top Bottom