DIY regearing and locker install

BChaffins

I am one to always do what I can myself. I've rebuilt many engines and a couple manual transmissions. I'm considering if I should attempt to install lockers and do my own regearing, or am I just thinking wrong.

I don't do these things because I'm cheap. I'm a computer engineer by trade that wrenches on the weekends. I enjoy the learning and am also very comfortable using gages and micrometers. Precision work is not something that scares me.

What I would like to hear from others is if axle rebuilding is something a person can do or if it's a skill that really requires experience to get right.

Thanks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There was a guy that was supposed to do a write up here but he was also supposed to have a big brake kit. People have been waiting for two years now.

After being right there watching my gear guy do mine, I can safely say that I'm glad I didn't do my own gears by myself without help the first time. It's definitely not a task you'd want to hurry thru.

BChaffins

My JK is a Sahara with a D30 front axle. My thought is to add a rear locker and regear when I upgrade the front axle. I was thinking of looking for a used D44 or a D44 housing and build my front axle. This will let me learn as I go and then just swap out the front when it's done.

My JK is a Sahara with a D30 front axle. My thought is to add a rear locker and regear when I upgrade the front axle. I was thinking of looking for a used D44 or a D44 housing and build my front axle. This will let me learn as I go and then just swap out the front when it's done.

If after watching the video OverlanderJK just posted up, you're still wanting to do your own, doing so on a donor axle prior to swapping it into your rig is the best way to go as you'd still have full use of your rig should it not go as fast or well as you'd like.

Speeddmn

Rerearing, overhaul etc really isnt as hard as it seems. For the typical do it yourselfer, the cost to buy all the stuff and get set up, will damn near be half the cost of paying a shop to do it(have to buy the gears/locker anyways). That is my hurdle, you would need to do 3 or 4 sets of gears to be safe. My friend that helped me do my gears in my previous rides, went to the junk yard and got a few cheap ford 8.8's and practiced on them. Once he got a feel for it and dialed in his math skills, we could do a full overhaul on an 8.8 in just a few hours. Also it was always way easier to have the entire axle removed and on jack stands then laying on our backs doing it.

OverlanderJK and I have both put in a lot of wrench time on our rigs as well as other people's and I doubt either of us have the cajones to do gears on our own, I certainly don't.

BChaffins

Thanks guys, this is what I was hoping to hear. I don't have anyone to bounce some of my crazy ideas off of. And my wife is the best as she thinks all of my ideas are good,but that sometimes gets me in trouble.

I'll continue my research before making any financial commitments. I also have the rear axle from a MG midget I need to redo. Maybe that could be a good practice piece. Ya, I have a MG as my other project.

Last edited:
I have been battling this question myself for a couple of weeks and it comes down to this. If there is a problem I can always take my Jeep back to the shop and they can fix it. If I do the regear myself then I have to figure out what I did wrong. For me the time it would take me to do the regear far out weights the cost of paying someone to do it. Sure I can save $900 by doing it myself but that is two maybe three days where I cannot do anything else or drive my Jeep. Taking it to a shop to have it done is a one day venture. Just food for thought.

R/
Will

There are no good places to have gear swaps done around me.... so this is something that all of my local buddies and I have had to take on ourselves. The key is to take your time. This is one of those trades that anyone can do (provided you have the tools and time). The difference is someone who does gears all the time will do it much more quickly.

I have found many mechanics will say, "that's good enough", especially when their rack is tied up and there is a job waiting. Gears are not a place this can be tolerated. Good offroad shops know this and will do it right, but none of those are around me. :grayno:

If I were near Offroad Evolution I would have them do my gears.... but since I am not I will be doing mine very soon myself.

jeeeep

Hooked
mg midget :thumb:

DIY gears :thinking: I thought about doing mine but after pricing out tools and then figuring it would probably take me at least 3x longer, paying to have it done got cheaper :beer:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
My:twocents:. Having attempted a regear with another back yard noob, I can say it's probably best to learn with someone who really knows what they are doing. I think most folks can do it, but there's a learning curve and probably some things you need to know the videos leave out. Besides, Murphy's Law says everything will be cool until you're on I-40 doin' 80 through a part on New Mexico with no cell service and.......(fill in the blank)......! All the best.:thumb:

shortyokc

im going to do my gear swap probably the 1st quarter of the year with tax money. iv been a heavy equipment tech for 17 years and will do mine myself, yes i could pay someone but im very picky and trust no one to work on my vehicles but me. the few times i had someone work on my vehicles i had to redo everything they did anyways. part of this is seeing what others from other shops and co workers consider quality work and alot of them just fly by the seat of their pants on a daily basis. now on the other hand if i had a shop local like evo mfg i might reconsider, but off-road shops around here are known for their lack of quality.

BChaffins

Well, I've not been scared off yet. Tools are no problem. And I'm looking for a D44 pull off so I can take my time and figure I can find someone to double check my work before drive time. My wife and I decided to hit the local Barns and Noble today so this is my entertainment for the weekend.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420232595.415855.jpg

gleno99

Well, I've not been scared off yet. Tools are no problem. And I'm looking for a D44 pull off so I can take my time and figure I can find someone to double check my work before drive time. My wife and I decided to hit the local Barns and Noble today so this is my entertainment for the weekend.

View attachment 117404

Thanks. I'm thinking of changing my gears myself. I'm about to go to Barnes and noble to pick one up.

setting up gears is actually super easy if you have a techinical or engineering understanding in your head... problem is most guys are business people who just pay to get their jeep built and think its black magic haha sure from time to time you get a headache gear set which takes longer to setup but in reality its easy shit just follow the steps same as lets say adding a new from bumper you start by removing old bumper and finish by admirering a new bumper... same concenpt for everything in life follow the steps!

here is some good info if you are into educating yourself http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles/Gear_Setup_Bible/index.html

Top Bottom