Strange smell

rodgerdathug

Morning gents.

I have this strange smell coming from my 08 jeep 64000 rubicon. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. But this smell got me stumped. And unless wayoflife gets smell ovision (smell ovision app could be a good Idea lol) I'm goin to try to describe. So only way i can think of it melting plastic smell coming mostly from passenger side. That's the best I can describe it. Not lot of info. You can't smell it on the inside but once you get out its there and passenger side the worse. I'm going to replace brake because they need to be replaced. but I don't think they would throw off a smell like this. Damn I don't expect much help. just need to get this off my chest maybe some one else had a smell strange smell too.

QRS

Hopefully is not a shorted wire and the melted plastic smell is the wire insulation. I'll double check on that if I were you.

Maybe someone may be able to help you identify what is it.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Morning gents.

I have this strange smell coming from my 08 jeep 64000 rubicon. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. But this smell got me stumped. And unless wayoflife gets smell ovision (smell ovision app could be a good Idea lol) I'm goin to try to describe. So only way i can think of it melting plastic smell coming mostly from passenger side. That's the best I can describe it. Not lot of info. You can't smell it on the inside but once you get out its there and passenger side the worse. I'm going to replace brake because they need to be replaced. but I don't think they would throw off a smell like this. Damn I don't expect much help. just need to get this off my chest maybe some one else had a smell strange smell too.

I would start by looking at any wires, hoses around the exhaust area. I would also look close to see if some thing got stuck flying up from the road way. Also do you see any melted wires? anychance something is grounding and hasn't blowen a fuse?:twocents:

rodgerdathug

I would start by looking at any wires, hoses around the exhaust area. I would also look close to see if some thing got stuck flying up from the road way. Also do you see any melted wires? anychance something is grounding and hasn't blowen a fuse?:twocents:

Yea I was thinking there might be a plastic bag I ran over. I don't think it electrical no problem of fuse or sh¡t not working

rodgerdathug

After I posted this. This morning I thought about a bag I ran over that I didn't see come out. So I'll have to check

jeeeep

Hooked
lol I ran over a nasty trash bag in mine once, it stunk for a week even after several washings. automatic carwashes don't get underneath well at all, ended up using the power washer (on low not with force) so I could get the soap where the smell was.

rodgerdathug

Well the plus side looked at exhaust it's a plastic bag just behind the cat
So how long do Ya think till it burns off? Or should I just drive it then pressure wash it.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420150551.131156.jpg

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Good find, glad that's the problem and not electrical or hose. X2 on a puddy knife. I wouldn't spend to much time on it. I would get tje majority of it off and let rest burn off. Just my 2cents.

rodgerdathug

Good find, glad that's the problem and not electrical or hose. X2 on a puddy knife. I wouldn't spend to much time on it. I would get tje majority of it off and let rest burn off. Just my 2cents.

So funny story after I get done finding this. I show the pic to my girlfriend and I was like this is where the cat is the look on her face was hysterical she thought there was an actual cat. Lmao

Top Bottom