Who wants to play "Name That Noise?"

Mikead40

This morning I started my Jeep (13 JKU 18k miles) and pulled it out of the garage to install a set of rock lights. It started fine and sounded normal. Once the rock lights were installed (by the way Eddie, thanks for the great writeup on that), I started it up to put it back in the garage. In the videos below, you can hear what I heard when I started it up after installing the lights.
It's probably going to the dealership to get it figured out, but I'd like to have some idea as to what it might be ahead of time.
Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
For the record, I didn't go anywhere near the engine/belts/exhaust/hoses etc etc etc. when installing these lights - I can't imagine it was something I did because the install was pretty straight forward. But who knows...Also, I did check my oil (full) and the belt, exhaust and vacuum pump hoses all look fine (the first few things I could think of).

MarkW13

Doesn't sound like any belt I've heard. Lots of valve noise. I think you may have stuck a lifter.

Last edited:

Mikead40

Lifter could be.

Can you post a vid of you reving? if its a stuck lifter it will get faster and/or louder as you rise in your powerband.

Thanks for all the responses - after doing some research a stuck lifter is high on the list - apparently a lot of '13s have had that problem - especially those made early in the year (mine was built in March).

It does definitely get faster (although not necessarily louder) when I rev the engine. I'll try to get a video of that today. I took it for a drive around the block and it drove fine otherwise. Would it drive abnormally with a stuck lifter? Also, the noise quiets down considerably after it's been idling for a few minutes.
Thanks again for your responses - I really appreciate it.

Mikead40

Transmission my friend 🙈

Well I definitely hope it's not that - what makes you think it's the transmission? Is it something you've seen - I.e a particular problem with the transmission? For what it's worth It seemed to drive and shift fine when I drove it around my neighborhood.

Ok so you said this started after installing the rock lights. Check to the routing of your wires and most importantly the mounting of your lights. To meet it sounds like metal on metal which leads me to think there is something near a pulley.

R/
Will

MarkW13

Thanks for all the responses - after doing some research a stuck lifter is high on the list - apparently a lot of '13s have had that problem - especially those made early in the year (mine was built in March).

It does definitely get faster (although not necessarily louder) when I rev the engine. I'll try to get a video of that today. I took it for a drive around the block and it drove fine otherwise. Would it drive abnormally with a stuck lifter? Also, the noise quiets down considerably after it's been idling for a few minutes.
Thanks again for your responses - I really appreciate it.

When is the last time you changed your oil. If it gets worse, its possible that its an oil issue. Low oil pressure at start up. As the oil gets warm it flows more easily. Oil also loses its ability to properly lubricate after around a year regardless of miles. I use mobile 1 because synthetics are less inclined to breakdown. Start with an oil change, then see what happens.

Mikead40

Ok so you said this started after installing the rock lights. Check to the routing of your wires and most importantly the mounting of your lights. To meet it sounds like metal on metal which leads me to think there is something near a pulley.

R/
Will

Yea, I mean I figured it had to be something I did, but I can't see anything. The lights are mounted to the grill support bracket (just like in the wayalife write up) I can clearly see both sides of where it's mounted and it's not in contact with anything. The wiring runs very superficially around the outside edge of the engine compartment. I didn't take anything apart to route the wires (except the side panel on the dashboard).

The only thing abnormal that happened was when I was loosening the positive battery terminal wiring the wrench accidentally hit the negative terminal very briefly. Everything electronic seems to be functioning well and there are no blown fuses. Not sure if that could have done something...

Mikead40

When is the last time you changed your oil. If it gets worse, its possible that its an oil issue. Low oil pressure at start up. As the oil gets warm it flows more easily. Oil also loses its ability to properly lubricate after around a year regardless of miles. I use mobile 1 because synthetics are less inclined to breakdown. Start with an oil change, then see what happens.

Less than 1500 miles ago...using amsoil. Doesn't appear to be leaking or burning oil either.

Brankz

Well I definitely hope it's not that - what makes you think it's the transmission? Is it something you've seen - I.e a particular problem with the transmission? For what it's worth It seemed to drive and shift fine when I drove it around my neighborhood.

I had to rebuild my tranny 😅 you can search brankz transmission I
Made like 20 threads about it lol

I had the same noise too but wasn't that loud like yours

Mikead40

Problem Solved...

First of all thanks to all the people that responded with ideas/suggestions :beer:
This morning I went to start my Jeep to drive it to the dealership and it wouldn't start :icon_crazy: I could hear the starter spinning (which sounded very abnormal) but that's it. So I pulled out the starter, got a new one from the dealership, put it in...and now no more noise. Purring like a kitten. Problem solved :rock: Glad it wasn't anything more, and really glad I didn't have to take it to the dealership.

MarkW13

First of all thanks to all the people that responded with ideas/suggestions :beer:
This morning I went to start my Jeep to drive it to the dealership and it wouldn't start :icon_crazy: I could hear the starter spinning (which sounded very abnormal) but that's it. So I pulled out the starter, got a new one from the dealership, put it in...and now no more noise. Purring like a kitten. Problem solved :rock: Glad it wasn't anything more, and really glad I didn't have to take it to the dealership.

Awesome. That is way cheaper than any of the other possibilities.

tonywjk

You said oil was full?? Sounds like its coming from the valve train, oooops just saw what the issue was, glad that was it and not engine related

Top Bottom