Installing Multiple Camera

BillTheCat

My wife really wants a backup camera for the new 2013 JKRU. The 35: spare blocks her view. If I go to that trouble, I want to add a camera up front and possible one underneath. I don't really don't want a navigation system or Sirius radio. Any ideas for a head unit with multiple video inputs at a reasonable cost (say under $500)?

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
My wife really wants a backup camera for the new 2013 JKRU. The 35: spare blocks her view. If I go to that trouble, I want to add a camera up front and possible one underneath. I don't really don't want a navigation system or Sirius radio. Any ideas for a head unit with multiple video inputs at a reasonable cost (say under $500)?

Under 500, absolutely not - but yes this could be done.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Under 500, absolutely not - but yes this could be done.

Actually, I take that back - you _might_ be able to do it for under 500, but doubtful. There are a couple ways...finding a good multi-input double din unit (doubtful) or using a multiplexor with a remote would be the more likely way to do this.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can buy cameras and a small screen off amazon for under $100. There is a thread on here that somebody did it. You can just mount the little screen to the dash or windshield like you would a GPS.

Trail JK

I watched a YouTube video that showed a backup camera that is located/attached to a license plate cover and is a add-on accessory to the superchips trail dash. So the picture appears on the trail dash. It's slightly over the $500 for the trail dash and camera but you'd have the benefits that comes with superchips too. Doesn't take care of all the cameras you want but is an option for you.

BillTheCat

I watched a YouTube video that showed a backup camera that is located/attached to a license plate cover and is a add-on accessory to the superchips trail dash. So the picture appears on the trail dash. It's slightly over the $500 for the trail dash and camera but you'd have the benefits that comes with superchips too. Doesn't take care of all the cameras you want but is an option for you.

A video splitter might do the trick on the Flashcal ... maybe?

oGKevin

Could you link that? I already need to get the trail dash, a backup camera would be really nice when my tire carrier comes in.

Trail JK

A video splitter might do the trick on the Flashcal ... maybe?

Truthfully, I don't have any clue if that would work. I don't know anything about the flashcal or tech stuff on video splitting outputs. The trail dash has a display screen about the size of a gps and the camera license plate holder is sold by them for the dash display. Maybe one of the guys here can give more input?

10frank9

Web Wheeler

This looks like exactly what you need. And for right around your budget:

Jeep Wrangler OEM Fit Backup Camera System with Lockpick MyGig V5 for Factory Radios

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2C5060/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_LdUPub1SRT4XY

Slappy32

While not in the $500 range, I installed a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX head unit, which has two camera inputs. One is a reverse triggered camera and the other is for general use. I only have the backup camera hooked up right now. The backup camera I used was the BrandMotion camera that has a bracket to install it onto the spare tire carrier. I've been really happy with it so far. The light sensitivity is fantastic, day, night and night with a light shining at it, it's never been blinded. The Pioneer head unit has programmable boundary lines you can setup for your vehicle as well. I can post pics if anyone wants to see the setup.

Wardell

Could you link that? I already need to get the trail dash, a backup camera would be really nice when my tire carrier comes in.

I'm guessing this is the same video Trail JK mentioned. I was checking this out yesterday too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLNKOkpG4A

I'm surprised at all the Trail Dash can do. I thought it was just a calibration tool and for reading OBDII data, but it will let you control a lot of features on the fly too. I don't think they showed it in that video, but they also make wiring harnesses to let you control accessories like light bars, an air compressor, etc right through the touch screen on the Trail Dash. Pretty cool.

...Come to think of it, I wonder if you would be able to hook more than one camera to it. The way it's a modular accessory harness makes me think it might be possible, but you could probably only view one at a time.

Last edited:

BillTheCat

I'm guessing this is the same video Trail JK mentioned. I was checking this out yesterday too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLNKOkpG4A

I'm surprised at all the Trail Dash can do. I thought it was just a calibration tool and for reading OBDII data, but it will let you control a lot of features on the fly too. I don't think they showed it in that video, but they also make wiring harnesses to let you control accessories like light bars, an air compressor, etc right through the touch screen on the Trail Dash. Pretty cool.

...Come to think of it, I wonder if you would be able to hook more than one camera to it. The way it's a modular accessory harness makes me think it might be possible, but you could probably only view one at a time.

Ordered one from Amazon last night ($420) and I'm going to try a very small video switcher.

nelsonrullan

U can use your phone android/iPhone as a backup screen you just need a wifi camera, google iPhone backup camera there are a cuple in Amazon and ebay maybe you can install 2 or 3 cams.

Wardell

Ordered one from Amazon last night ($420) and I'm going to try a very small video switcher.

Cool, let me know what you think of it, and how well the video switcher works.

I found the manual for it online. The camera input is actually separate from the accessory port, but it's a standard RCA jack so you should be able to hook up any camera, switcher, etc that uses those connections.

kyleolson

I'm running a front and rear cam. Going to add on under carriage cam. I LOVE it! It's very useful off-road. And more importantly I don't accidentally run over little old ladies walking behind the jeep.

Top Bottom