Outer u joints and u joint install

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey everyone! I could really use your help right now.

I'm currently trying to install new u joints and new outer shafts onto my inner chromoly shafts that I ordered with my ProRock 44. I was able to install the u joint onto the inner shaft super easy but when it came to the outer it was a different story.

The u joint caps are not going into the outer shafts easy like they did for the inners. The outer shaft I ordered was a G2 non-rubi 30 spline shaft which is stock. I ordered this outer shaft because I was told that I would be able to run the current ten factory outer shaft I currently have installed in my d30. Instead of breaking the current shaft down I figured it would be easier to sell the whole shaft as is and get new outers.

Did I mess up and order the wrong outer shaft? Should I have ordered a 44 outer shaft with a 30 spline count?

Here are pics of the part numbers I ordered and what everything currently looks like.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420412492.971738.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420412504.252785.jpg .
Inner shaft and u joint with c clips installed
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420412516.998533.jpg .
New outer shaft semi installed with not flush caps.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420412574.611266.jpg .

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Anyone? Need to know asap so I can order a new outer a probably a new u joint at this point tomorrow

jkuone

Isn't that a D30 U-joint ?I'm pretty sure you need a 44 outer shaft if you have a 44 inner .
If I'm reading this right.Or is the new outer shaft you got a non Rubi 44 shaft to.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Isn't that a D30 U-joint ?I'm pretty sure you need a 44 outer shaft if you have a 44 inner .
If I'm reading this right.Or is the new outer shaft you got a non Rubi 44 shaft to.

Yea I believe it is. When I ordered it a few people I spoke with said that my outer shafts I have currently would work which is why I ordered another d30 outer.

The outer is a new non rubi outer. I'm wondering if I need a Rubi outer.

jkuone

Yea I believe it is. When I ordered it a few people I spoke with said that my outer shafts I have currently would work which is why I ordered another d30 outer.

The outer is a new non rubi outer. I'm wondering if I need a Rubi outer.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you need the rubi outer stub shaft and a diff U-joint.
The set up you have now the knuckles are two different sizes ,I think that's why
The caps are sticking out...:thinking:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok so it looks like I ordered the wrong u joints after a little more research. Going to order new ones tomorrow

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I would give Dynatrac a call in the morning. They'll tell you exactly what you need to order. No sense in spending any more money or time when they will have the right info for you.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would give Dynatrac a call in the morning. They'll tell you exactly what you need to order. No sense in spending any more money or time when they will have the right info for you.

Yea good idea. I will call them in the morning as well and see if they know what u joint will fit.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Well just to update this. i just got off the phone with dynatrac and it appears i ordered all the right parts. the u joints are correct and the outer shafts are correct as well. Steve at Dynatrac said maybe northridge sent me the wrong outer shaft or G2 didnt bore out the hole properly. i will update this again in a bit.

If your Inner axle was made to accept the 760 u-joint you need a outer that is made to accept the 760 u-joint. From what I know about what you ordered which isn't very much to be honest it does appear you ordered the correct parts. My guess and its just that is the G2 outer is not machined properly.

If we can help let me know.

David

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If your Inner axle was made to accept the 760 u-joint you need a outer that is made to accept the 760 u-joint. From what I know about what you ordered which isn't very much to be honest it does appear you ordered the correct parts. My guess and its just that is the G2 outer is not machined properly.

If we can help let me know.

David

Hey David,

Yes i spoke with Steve at Dynatrac and he stated that the inner 4340 inner shaft is made to accept a 760x u joint (which i had no trouble installing) and he said the outer should work but doesnt know how G2 machines there parts. the outer is not receiving the u joint like the inner shafts did. I spoke with Sean and after being talked down to about ordering the wrong parts he told me to send him pics which i just did.

since it doesnt appear that i can use these outer shafts or get the u joint out of the one it looks like im out of some money and will just have to go back to my original plan of using the ten factory outers i have installed on my d30 with the new u joints.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hey David,

Yes i spoke with Steve at Dynatrac and he stated that the inner 4340 inner shaft is made to accept a 760x u joint (which i had no trouble installing) and he said the outer should work but doesnt know how G2 machines there parts. the outer is not receiving the u joint like the inner shafts did. I spoke with Sean and after being talked down to about ordering the wrong parts he told me to send him pics which i just did.

since it doesnt appear that i can use these outer shafts or get the u joint out of the one it looks like im out of some money and will just have to go back to my original plan of using the ten factory outers i have installed on my d30 with the new u joints.

Sean is seriously the worst customer service representative I have seen or dealt with. So many people have bad things to say about him including myself.

JKbrick

Sean is seriously the worst customer service representative I have seen or dealt with. So many people have bad things to say about him including myself.

He must be who wouldn't give me a return on the grade 8 bolt kit I bought and realized didn't need and asked for a return, no luck.

Top Bottom