Rubicon Front locker in a Sahara Rear D44?

dft

Like the title says, will a Rubi Front locker fit in a Sahara's rear D44? I know the spline count of the front Rubi 44 and the Sahara d44 are the same. Other than the axle shaft length and tapping a hole for the wiring are there any other show stoppers?

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Like the title says, will a Rubi Front locker fit in a Sahara's rear D44? I know the spline count of the front Rubi 44 and the Sahara d44 are the same. Other than the axle shaft length and tapping a hole for the wiring are there any other show stoppers?

Please someone correct me here, but I believe the housings are very slightly different on the rubicons D44, possibly to accommodate something for the elockers. I would think the carrier would fit, but if you have access to it you could always dry fit it and make sure before you tap for the wires.

MICP3309

I believe you are right, they are different. I know ARB has two separate lockers for the rear jk Dana 44. Both are for 35 spline, but 1 is for wrangler or wrangler unlimited, and the other is for wrangler rubicon or wrangler unlimited rubicon. This would lead me to say there is a difference. I know other parts ask to specify rubicon or not for the axles too.

dft

I believe you are right, they are different. I know ARB has two separate lockers for the rear jk Dana 44. Both are for 35 spline, but 1 is for wrangler or wrangler unlimited, and the other is for wrangler rubicon or wrangler unlimited rubicon. This would lead me to say there is a difference. I know other parts ask to specify rubicon or not for the axles too.

Thanks guys, keep it coming. I've since found out the following as well that might stop this from being a straight swap.

Rubi uses "thick cut" gears
Different bearing sizes as well
Possibly different size carrier.

Now keep in mind, the thought is to get my hands on a Rubi front locker to be retrofitted into a non-rubi rear D44.

Top Bottom