how to best fix loaded rear

15353264177_fd6f7ecf41_z.jpg

Looking for some best solutions to counter the increasing load on the rear of the jeep.

I have a 3.5" procomp lift currently. That went on before the roof rack, tent and camping gear in the back. I don't think the sag is too much currently, but would rather deal with any potential issue now before my next travel season.

Local dealer suggested air bags in the springs - that's roughly a $500 job with installation. He then said, don't expect it to last more than a couple of years (harsh canadian winters).

Would springs for a 4" lift be a better solution?
What about spring spacers? How much of a 'lift' should I go? (or should I remove the tent & gear, and measure how much lift I gain again).

I've had suggested 'heavier springs', but what would I get? I have no idea how they are measured for length and carrying capacity.

Any suggestions are quite welcome... I'm mechanically challenged for the most part (centering my steering wheel has been the most of my mechanical limits so far... my expertise is in electrical).

holy_crap

Look into Sumo Springs from SuperSprings. I'm looking into those as an alternative to fox or TF speed bumps. They claim their products is perfect for your application.

Wardell

I think you could look at swapping the coils with a set that has a higher spring rate for the same size lift. Might have to buy springs from another brand though, since each company pretty much has their own rate that they build them to. Springs with a higher spring rate would be stiffer and thus wouldn't give as much when loaded. That said, they also wouldn't give as much while you're driving and you would have a harsher / "sportier" ride quality, so you would have to consider this as well.

I wouldn't know for sure which brand of springs to look at though, so someone else may have to recommend something. I heard that the AEV springs are supposed to be stiffer for this very reason, but someone started a thread about a week ago saying his AEV lift was starting to sag in the back from just adding a steel rear bumper and tire carrier combo, so now I'm not so sure...

Last edited:

Clark Collins

I don't understand the posts about Airlift airbag failures. I've had them on my rig for three years and never a problem. With the airbags you can adjust the ride for the load you are carrying and when not loaded have normal spring pressure. I suspect that failures would be due to improper installation.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Coilovers would do the trick, you can adjust them to the height you want and need.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They are expensive but, yeah, a set of coil overs would probably be your best option as you can get them with whatever spring rates you need and you can still adjust them on top of that. Best part is, you won't have to sacrifice your ride quality and they will provide a lot more articulation. Otherwise, I've run air bags in the past and they worked for me. The only thing I didn't like about them is much like a stiffer set of springs, they offer a stiffer ride.

davantalus

I don't understand the posts about Airlift airbag failures. ... I suspect that failures would be due to improper installation.

You're likely right but I'll add two comments:
As the owner of a Lincoln Towncar for 15 years, I found that those particular bags degraded and cracked over time. I would replace them every 3-5 years. $$$. Eventually converted it to conventional suspension.
My buddy popped one of his on his jk bombing through the desert. But has also ended up with some slow leaks for reason I don't know.

sitruc

Or you might look into:

ACOS Adjustable Coil Spacer Features

Variable length coil spring spacer allows convenient ride height adjustments without removing any suspension components
Adjustable lift height from 2.0" to 4.0"
Compensates for uneven load distribution, spring settling, and sagging
Instantly increases vehicle ride height upon installation for immediate benefits
Eliminates need to replace coil springs to accommodate future modifications
Technically advanced design and billet construction dramatically enhances suspension appearance
New Dura-Thane isolators utilized to prevent noise transfer, and bump stops for durability

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Loaded answer. :D

Any thoughts about a set of air shocks? I was wondering if it is possible/feasible/crazy to fit a set as a second shock in the rear to air up with a load and air down without a load.

I have the occasional need to haul a fair amount of weight.

Clark Collins

Loaded answer. :D

Any thoughts about a set of air shocks? I was wondering if it is possible/feasible/crazy to fit a set as a second shock in the rear to air up with a load and air down without a load.

I have the occasional need to haul a fair amount of weight.

I don't know why you would want to go to all that trouble when you can just install airbags easily. You would have to weld on shock mounting brackets etc.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
The airbags have some cons to the pros it sounds like. Welding on brackets isn't as big a deal as where to fit them. This is something I have been curious about to fix the same issue raised here.

Top Bottom