Need jk roof rack opinions

David1tontj

I just had a friend email me a few questions, and I told him I wasn't familiar with any of these racks, but that I would post it up on the forum. Any opinions would be appreciated. I'm hoping he joins soon so he can be a part of this community.

Here's what he sent me-

David,
Just a quick question regarding roof racks. Do you have any recommendations, for or against, regarding roof rack systems? I've been checking out a few different configurations and brands - Body Armor, Kobi, Kargo Master Congo Cage, etc. We're looking for something multi-purpose, likely for skis, kayaks, canoes, cargo container, etc. Bikes will probably eventually go on a hitch carrier.

Anyhow, thought I'd ask. :)

And he has a 2012ish jku

Thanks guys!!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
If he has a soft top I suggest the LoD. From the description and pictures, it really looks like the most versatile one on the market. I also like the Gobi stealth rack, but i think it only works with a hard top.

David1tontj

If he has a soft top I suggest the LoD. From the description and pictures, it really looks like the most versatile one on the market. I also like the Gobi stealth rack, but i think it only works with a hard top.

Currently he has the freedom top- it's also leaking..

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

bkac

Caught the Bug
I used the yakima 42" rack system, $300 and it worked great, no leaks.

Attachments

• 1420514172200.jpg
    1420514172200.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 1420514207513.jpg
    1420514207513.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 220

bkac

Caught the Bug
I ordered it online, it came from Portland, OR in one day. should work great for what he says he's going to carry.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I'm very pleased with my Gobi. It's been used to haul drywall, tables, power wheels, bikes, wagon, surfboards, snowboards, etc.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420514295.513579.jpg

UpsideUp

I looked around for a rack and had to really look at what was important to me. It sounds by your description that he is looking for multiple options...not just cargo, and if he wants it permanently fixed or not? I looked at all the great, expensive options out there but everything that he suggests kargo master, LOD, etc is "mostly" permanent mount or to much of a pain in the ass for me. Then I came across the Yakima rack system. If he isn't faint of heart about drilling into the top..which I hear is pretty waterproof with the hardware than this would be the system I would go with.
All the options he is talking about. Canoe, kayak, ski, snowboard, basket mounts, high lift jack/shovel/axe mounts, etc. And when it comes to wheeling you can take it all off easily and leave all but the tower tracks on the top. Seems the most versatile, and functional rack out there.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Love mine and it was simple to install. Doesn't leak at all. Very versatile and light. The bars remove in seconds for low height areas.

UpsideUp

Love mine and it was simple to install. Doesn't leak at all. Very versatile and light. The bars remove in seconds for low height areas.
I think with your input you have me sold. It was until this post that I really realized with my family of 4 that this would be the best option for me. Thanks for posting up!

bkac

Caught the Bug
We use it all the time, I also have the mega load warrior to go on it for a cargo basket. Let me find the website I use with the best prices I've found and I'll post it here for you.

David1tontj

I used the yakima 42" rack system, $300 and it worked great, no leaks.

This is a great option! Thanks Bobby!

I'm very pleased with my Gobi. It's been used to haul drywall, tables, power wheels, bikes, wagon, surfboards, snowboards, etc.
]
Thanks! I like the pic too!

I looked around for a rack and had to really look at what was important to me. It sounds by your description that he is looking for multiple options...not just cargo, and if he wants it permanently fixed or not? I looked at all the great, expensive options out there but everything that he suggests kargo master, LOD, etc is "mostly" permanent mount or to much of a pain in the ass for me. Then I came across the Yakima rack system. If he isn't faint of heart about drilling into the top..which I hear is pretty waterproof with the hardware than this would be the system I would go with.
All the options he is talking about. Canoe, kayak, ski, snowboard, basket mounts, high lift jack/shovel/axe mounts, etc. And when it comes to wheeling you can take it all off easily and leave all but the tower tracks on the top. Seems the most versatile, and functional rack out there.
Thanks!

Coloradan

For something simple, pretty cheap, and very versatile I went with the Yakima 58" rain gutter system. Great for a JKU, I have mine set up for skis right now ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420521185.561562.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420521201.474824.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420521222.952519.jpg

Kaylinator

JK_bc, would one perhaps need to buy 2 sets of rails? The second set being mounted upside down from inside the roof to help spread the load from upward lift?

I run the Gobi rack with the freedom panel insert.

14919076003_61285041a7_z.jpg

I've run the gobi without the panel insert and getting the freedom top pieces out was a bit of a pain, but doable. The gobi rack can also disconnect at the light bar and tip back to remove the hard top if necessary. It's expensive, but a solid system and offers a lot of mounting options for stuff you need to carry.

Top Bottom