New VS. Used

yoyoyeo02

So, i am looking between buying a 2015 JKU bone stock and very base model or a slightly built 2012/2013 JKU with a few more options.. What is the general opinion. Would you buy the used one with some extras for a little higher price, but get more add ons, or buy the stock and build it fresh? I am pretty torn as i am bad about wanting one of everything for my jeep. The savings between the two is about $3000. So, let me have it.. What would you do??

mcicero

I guess it depends what you plan to do with it. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten a Rubicon new. I would have gone with a stock sport and with the money saved change out the things I would need. I wouldn't be opposed to buying used, but I had a good idea on what I wanted to do and I was going to be paying for upgrades I would change or not need. If you can find what you want used you will more than likely be saving money than buying new and adding it yourself. But then again thats most the fun!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I bought a new sport. Now what do you pan to do with it. I have seen many Rubicon owners that have changed out just about everything. So where is the savings? Yes I'll probably change out front axle, tires, suspension, etc. A sport is pretty capable out the door...Rubicon even more. I will be into mine way less, but price difference I guess how many miles, was it beat or a mall crawler?

What are the slight modifications on the 2012/2013?

Second can you get an extended warranty with the used vehicles?

Getting the 2015 will give you an blank slate and the work you do to it will be done to your standards.

When I got Canvas in Feb 2013 he was stock with upgraded wheels and tires, which was one thing I did not need to do. I was able to go the direction I wanted. It will all depend on what you want to do.

If I had to do over I would probably go with a Rubicon because of the D44 and lockers which saves me some cash over the the sport. Then again shopping around Rubi take offs can be found. I found a Rubi Sway Bar local and now I am on my way to building Canvas into Canvasicon.

It is your build have fun with it.

R/
Will

DangerDan

This was a debate for me as well. I know I wanted the 3.6L over the 3.8 so my searched was 2012+. I also wanted an Unlimited Rubicon with a 6 speed, preferably a hard top. I searched about 250 miles around me and found a few around me for a general 2012+ Rubicon but they were in the price range of $28-35k used. I eventually went to the dealer and had them price one out since they couldn't find what I wanted either at any dealership. I walked away ordering a 2015 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed with a hard top, the color I wanted, and some extras for a little under $35,000. My only regret is that I wished I would have seen how much more a Hard Rock edition would have been.

It all depends on what is available to you. I would have jumped on a used Rubicon if the price was right, but for me the used ones were almost as much as ordering a new one exactly how I wanted it.

TheStick

The resale value of Jeeps are so good it is hard to justify used for just a couple years back. I would lean towards new, but also make sure you are comparing correct prices. I wouldn't pay more than 1% under invoice for a new Jeep.

darthmurdoch

Look at the financing, new dealers can usually get very low interest rates so new might be the same payment then do what you want with it.

Dean454

I bought a stick jku sport and built from there. I would never advise someone to buy a rubicon if they are going to heavily modify.

Tanner505

The one nice thing about a rubicon is the transfer case and the taller gears, what are you planning on doing with your rig

Nick Zambo

This was a debate for me as well. I know I wanted the 3.6L over the 3.8 so my searched was 2012+. I also wanted an Unlimited Rubicon with a 6 speed, preferably a hard top. I searched about 250 miles around me and found a few around me for a general 2012+ Rubicon but they were in the price range of $28-35k used. I eventually went to the dealer and had them price one out since they couldn't find what I wanted either at any dealership. I walked away ordering a 2015 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed with a hard top, the color I wanted, and some extras for a little under $35,000. My only regret is that I wished I would have seen how much more a Hard Rock edition would have been.

It all depends on what is available to you. I would have jumped on a used Rubicon if the price was right, but for me the used ones were almost as much as ordering a new one exactly how I wanted it.

This is exactly what happen to me as well in 2012. I was shopping around for a good used rubi unlimited and the cost was almost as much as a new base model rubi unlimited. I just bought new.

I also knew that I wanted locked diff's and disconnect swaybar off the hop. I was only going to run 35's knowing that 95% of my daily driving is on pavement and I like to take my jeep on long road trips to do mountain biking. So killing 37's or 40's on pavement for me would be a waste.

With the rubi I was able to get started with steel bumpers recovery and safety gear right away. The jeep is already plenty capable of going off roading right from the show room.

But just as everyone here has told you, you need to decide what you want to do with it.

Last edited:

yoyoyeo02

So, all great info. Here is the break down..

The 2012 is a Unlimited Sport, can't tell what lift, but is 4 inch(possible Currie) with currie anti rock sway bars front and rear, Fox With Res up from, Fox in rear, Bumper is stubbed, Has 5 35" tires Trupedors on AEV wheels, Flatty fenders, HID lights to include fog and off roads on windshield, seat covers, hard top, dual exhaust, air raid intake and an auto with 38K miles. Can get for $27800 Out The Door..

The other is going to be a 2015 Sport unlimited 6 speed, soft top. Base model. Will run me about $24000 OTD..

Am gonna have $30K total to spend all said and done. The 2012 is already 8K in upgrades. I want to lift (3.5" min) with 35" tires, Gears and locker in rear, Flat Fenders at a minimum. All i would really have to do with the 2012 is gears..

I have been debating between the auto and manual too and leaning toward auto.. So now, what do you think. Keep the order on the 2015 or go for the 2012? I do love to do my own work on my jeeps, but this 2012 is built almost exactly like i would do it myself.. so, nothing i would change off the bat..

HELP!!

DangerDan

So, all great info. Here is the break down..

The 2012 is a Unlimited Sport, can't tell what lift, but is 4 inch(possible Currie) with currie anti rock sway bars front and rear, Fox With Res up from, Fox in rear, Bumper is stubbed, Has 5 35" tires Trupedors on AEV wheels, Flatty fenders, HID lights to include fog and off roads on windshield, seat covers, hard top, dual exhaust, air raid intake and an auto with 38K miles. Can get for $27800 Out The Door..

The other is going to be a 2015 Sport unlimited 6 speed, soft top. Base model. Will run me about $24000 OTD..

Am gonna have $30K total to spend all said and done. The 2012 is already 8K in upgrades. I want to lift (3.5" min) with 35" tires, Gears and locker in rear, Flat Fenders at a minimum. All i would really have to do with the 2012 is gears..

I have been debating between the auto and manual too and leaning toward auto.. So now, what do you think. Keep the order on the 2015 or go for the 2012? I do love to do my own work on my jeeps, but this 2012 is built almost exactly like i would do it myself.. so, nothing i would change off the bat..

HELP!!

I missed driving a manual, felt more in control of the Jeep, and easier to fix IMO then an auto. I was worried about offroading with a manual but after reading some posts it has hill assist and impossible to stall in 4lo. Being able to select your final drive ratio is awesome too while on the trail. Those are the reasons I chose a manual over auto. Moby is a manual and Eddie seams to have no problem with it offroad.

I personally would go with a 2015 and try to get a Rubicon if you can afford it. You said your budget is 30k, you can find a used Rubi for around that. 5k more for a new one. The lockers, gears, and transfercase will be worth it in the long run. A proper lift and tires will cost you around 4k. If you just want the lift and tires and dont plan on wheeling it then go with the sport.

In the end, its your money and you know what you want out of it.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I missed driving a manual, felt more in control of the Jeep, and easier to fix IMO then an auto. I was worried about offroading with a manual but after reading some posts it has hill assist and impossible to stall in 4lo. Being able to select your final drive ratio is awesome too while on the trail. Those are the reasons I chose a manual over auto. Moby is a manual and Eddie seams to have no problem with it offroad.

I personally would go with a 2015 and try to get a Rubicon if you can afford it. You said your budget is 30k, you can find a used Rubi for around that. 5k more for a new one. The lockers, gears, and transfercase will be worth it in the long run. A proper lift and tires will cost you around 4k. If you just want the lift and tires and dont plan on wheeling it then go with the sport.

In the end, its your money and you know what you want out of it.

I'm not regeared but I constantly stall mine on big rocks ..

DangerDan

I'm not regeared but I constantly stall mine on big rocks ..

With the rubi tcase in 4lo, first gear, you should be able to let it crawl at idle just like an auto. However if the engine RPMs drop low enough it will stall, its just easier to prevent.

Top Bottom