One tire turns more than other???

jfallon1

Its hard to explain but it seems like one tire turns more than the other does. What do you guys think it is? I'm sure this isn't normal and I've tried to take pics.
These photos are looking directly down the sides of the jeep.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420571762.958871.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420571802.706740.jpg

Unless your tie rod ends are VERY worn, I think this is an optical illusion from the curve in the body.

Edit to add that the body line always makes me think I have toe-out… You can’t imagine how many times I have checked this :crazyeyes:

I edited again because my original reply said "track bar" instead of "tie rod"... My bad, I had a blonde moment :) But while I'm here... is there any play or side to side jiggle in the ends or joints?

Last edited:

CJW

It does that when turned both ways right? The inside wheel turns more?

This is an attribute of all vehicles. The inside wheel turns slightly more (by just a hair) than the outside wheel to compensate for the sharper radius that the inside tire follows while turning.

Side notes:

-Make sure your toe in is set correctly
-worn ball joints can also cause uneven and sloppy steering. But they would have to be severe to make your tires be that much different.

Last edited:

CJW

Unless your tie rod ends are VERY worn, I think this is an optical illusion from the curve in the body.

Edit to add that the body line always makes me think I have toe-out… You can’t imagine how many times I have checked this :crazyeyes:

This too. I think your mostly looking at in reference to the curving body line

jeeeep

Hooked
few things can make one tire wear faster than the other, as mentioned worn tie rod ends, worn ball joints, also worn shock and worn hubs or even a bad sway bar link.

a bad shock will allow a tire to bounce making it seem like the tire on the ground rotates faster.

Any noises when you turn? hard to tell what the toe-in looks like with each pic taken separately, would be a better view if both tires were in the pic head on but you can check it following these instructions:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/basic-do-it-yourself-jeep-jk-wrangler-front-end-alignment

TheDuff

You can check the toe with a buddy and a tape measure. There is a right up on project-jk.com
But I'll summarize here: pick a point about midway up either tire (some tires have a line in the center making it easy). Measure from this point on one tire over to the same point on the opposite tire. Do this on both front and back of the front tires. Subtract the measurements, you want the front side measurement to be about 1/8th inch shorter, making it 1/8" toe-in. Adjust the tie rod as needed to achieve close to this.

jfallon1

I've adjusted my toe it seems four or five times already in the past year. I'll check in the morning to see if it's off. I'm not sure if it's effecting the driving characteristics but I do seem to get some sketchy driving. Let's just say I'm running down the interstate and I change lanes, my Jeep seems to want to continue to pull to the side I'm changing into even after I correct and straighten the wheel. It's hard to explain but that's the best way I can. It acts as if maybe low tire pressure and it pulls to the side but after A couple seconds of pulling, it'll free up and track straight. It's sketchy when running 70 down the four lane

jeeeep

Hooked
as Overlander pointed out, bent tie rod can also cause those problems.

I'd check the tie rod, from the pics it looks like its taken a few hits.

jfallon1

Since I don't have anyone to help me wrench or help, I had to improvise.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420658037.273269.jpg
Toe in was way off. I don't know how this keeps getting out since I torque the bolts to spec. The front of my tires was 72in and the rear 70 3/4in (spotting myself 2in) apart. Maybe time to upgrade to a new tie rod. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420657925.399200.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420657977.337157.jpg

I would REALLY check your tie rod ends if toe keeps moving around. (Provided their isn't another explination like you bending it in between adjustments.)

Edit to add that you need to make adjustments with the tires off the ground. If you are adjusting toe with them on the ground you are almost definately way over adjusting to compensate for sidewall momement.

Last edited:

jfallon1

I would REALLY check your tie rod ends if toe keeps moving around. (Provided their isn't another explination like you bending it in between adjustments.)

Edit to add that you need to make adjustments with the tires off the ground. If you are adjusting toe with them on the ground you are almost definately way over adjusting to compensate for sidewall momement.

I've seen where some jack the front end up and adjust then again in Eddie's write up, he adjusts with it still on the ground. I'm just lost. It will only take one more time before I upgrade to an aftermarket

Txjkjpr

From the pictures it looks like your tie rod, drag link are stock. My 2010 wouldn't stay aligned (drove straight down the road) but ate tires and was really loose in the steering department. I replace every thing with stock parts 3 times before I upgraded. Everything was torqued to specs as you have said but it would just crap out. New tie rod and ends, drag link and ball joints, made a huge difference and solved all my alignment and steering issues. The factory components sux at best. If your still stock then I'd take a real hard look at it, you could do all the work yourself it really is a good investment.

I've seen where some jack the front end up and adjust then again in Eddie's write up, he adjusts with it still on the ground. I'm just lost. It will only take one more time before I upgrade to an aftermarket

I know the pictures in Eddie's write up show the Jeep on the ground but I'm not sure he made any changes or actually did an alignment with them there. :thinking:

jfallon1

From the pictures it looks like your tie rod, drag link are stock. My 2010 wouldn't stay aligned (drove straight down the road) but ate tires and was really loose in the steering department. I replace every thing with stock parts 3 times before I upgraded. Everything was torqued to specs as you have said but it would just crap out. New tie rod and ends, drag link and ball joints, made a huge difference and solved all my alignment and steering issues. The factory components sux at best. If your still stock then I'd take a real hard look at it, you could do all the work yourself it really is a good investment.

Yea, going aftermarket drag link pretty soon when I do the flip. I guess I'll have to swap the tie-rod as well

Txjkjpr

Yea, going aftermarket drag link pretty soon when I do the flip. I guess I'll have to swap the tie-rod as well

If you do one I'd suggest do the other as well. I'd also upgrade the track bar ends as they tend to go out and can cause some movement. They are only like $20 each. And definitely replace the ball joints. Stock are not greasable so do yourself a favor and change them out.

Christarp

next time you torque it down you could try putting some loctite on the bolts maybe. I know that helps with suspension for me coming loose. After a day on the dunes everything was so loose. After using loctite on all of the bolts things don't start coming loose until maybe a week of dunes running. Granted you still need to check them every so often but it was a lot less severe. Just my experience though.

Top Bottom