PR44 Rubicon or Non Rubicon Locker

kpig

After installing a new A/C and Furnace in my house, I think there is finally enough $$$ saved from the holidays to purchase a ProRock 44 housing. I have a 2013 JK Rubicon with 37's and 4.56 gears (I regeared when I had 35's). I generally plan 5 or 6 excursions to local places or Windrock or Superlift OHV. Is the stock Rubicon diff locker strong enough? I will likely upgrade axles at a later time, too but would like to minimize the cost of upgrading after home repairs. Thanks in advance.

If memory serves me Rubicat is running the stock Rubicon Locker in a PR44. MTG ran the 2012 JKX on stock axles with 37's using the stock locker. Jags, 10Frank9 are both running 37's on stock axles with stock Rubicon lockers. Run what you have until you cannot then look at upgrading later.

Just my opinion.

Right now I am researching which direction to go. I am leaning towards the D44 Rubicon front axle with C gussets and 5.13 gears with Rubicon Locker so that I can run 37's.

R/
Will

ttfhell

Evolander, Lisa Wade's jeep is still running factory lockers and axles, not to knock 10Frank9(well a little) but hers is pushed harder by far then those other examples. Don't abuse that locker and make it last until it breaks.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Evolander, Lisa Wade's jeep is still running factory lockers and axles, not to knock 10Frank9(well a little) but hers is pushed harder by far then those other examples. Don't abuse that locker and make it last until it breaks.

You rang......?

Wait, my Jeep has lockers? I was wondering what that button was for! :idontknow:

Last edited:
I just had this conversation this morning at ORE. One thing to note - the rubi locker is not serviceable and if it fails you would have to replace and it is expensive.

I have been running 37's on a stock C gusseted Rubi Axle and it as treated me well, However the PR44 is in my future and I will be going with the housing for the ARB Locker - you do have the added expense of a air system but you probably already have one or want one anyways.

Now if I can just get rid of this demon that keeps whispering 40's and 60's out of my head.

@Canvas - I might have a Rubi 44 available soon. ;)

..... Off to water the money tree :beer:

Slavens

Caught the Bug
this is the perfect thread for me and my issues i am mentally having!!!!

i am on 37's with a sleeved and gusseted Stock 44 with stock lockers and no issues at all but something in my head keeps telling me to get the PR and do it now but between that, Gears,Axles and the housing my Jeep fund would be tapped for a while and if something does break then what?

So in your opinions is it a must chance or a want change if i am planning on doing the Rubicon this year?

kpig

Thanks for the reassurance. Sometimes I need a sense of reason before I spend the money....but, this was something that I have been planning for a while especially, since I originally wanted to cut and turn the housing before realizing how much work this involved for not much benefit. In the end, I just want the ProRock 44 but was unsure of the long term durability and upgradeability of ordering the housing for the stock Rubicon locker. I might wait til something breaks, I just don't want to be broken on the trail if it can be minimized ahead of time. That and I have a bit of Jeep money that is burning a hole in my pocket. ;)

Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I went with the PR44 front and PR60 rear two years ago when jumping to 37s. I've done the Rubicon and all over Moab and Colorado and New Mexico and the only thing I've broken is my Tom Woods front driveshaft.
I bought the ProRocks because I wanted the drive home upgrade. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420603354.889349.jpg
I think trusses and sleeves are fine, but when I have my family out in the middle of nowhere I want to drive them home.

kpig

I went with the PR44 front and PR60 rear two years ago when jumping to 37s. I've done the Rubicon and all over Moab and Colorado and New Mexico and the only thing I've broken is my Tom Woods front driveshaft.
I bought the ProRocks because I wanted the drive home upgrade. View attachment 118072
I think trusses and sleeves are fine, but when I have my family out in the middle of nowhere I want to drive them home.

How did the woods driveshaft break. I have a woods front shaft and regret it after hearing how so many break with the gold u joints. Of course, just like my Metalcloak suspension and Teraflex tire carrier.... I like to do everything twice. Kind of a pisser. I wish I had checked here first. I feel better hearing from those that know what works instead of what a retailer sells because it nets the most profit.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Front driveshaft broke while going up a big sand hill. Front axle started hopping and snap. I removed the driveshaft and drove home. Fortunately it was under warranty since it was only a month old. I now bring a spare with me every time I go out.
Like you, I didn't know about the yellow ujoints.

Top Bottom