Non-Selectable Lockers in 2012+ Auto JK & Limp Mode

darkscion0

I'm looking at getting a set of Lock Right lockers but there's some buzz on the Internet about non-selectable lockers putting 2012+ Wranglers with automatic transmissions into limp mode due to the wheel speed sensors and traction control.

Is there anyone out there has has a first/second hand account of mechanical lockers (lunchbox, aussie, detroit, etc...) either working or not working on a 2012+ Auto JK?

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The issue come into play IF you are regearing - NOT from installing a new locker. IF you regear, you will NEED to calibrate your speedometer or else your 2012+ Jeep will go into limp mode.

ZuidJK

The issue come into play IF you are regearing - NOT from installing a new locker. IF you regear, you will NEED to calibrate your speedometer or else your 2012+ Jeep will go into limp mode.

Northridge Canada told me that it would go into limp mode to with non selectable locker and a 2012 and up. I have a 2011 so it didn't happen but they told me that when I ordered a Detroit in my Prorock and made sure I didn't have a 2012. Maybe with new gears and non selectable locker...? Iunno I just did what they said lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Northridge Canada told me that it would go into limp mode to with non selectable locker and a 2012 and up. I have a 2011 so it didn't happen but they told me that when I ordered a Detroit in my Prorock and made sure I didn't have a 2012. Maybe with new gears and non selectable locker...? Iunno I just did what they said lol

Technically, they are correct but, you can bypass it by turning off your ESP. It's not a perfect solution but, you can make it work. I know that Dynatrac has done this on their current JK and ran the JKX with it but then, they did have to stop several times over the course of the week to reset things. So, I suppose it's probably more of a bad idea than good.

UpsideUp

I would imagine that this would only be advised with a D 44 though right? Could you regear to say 4.88 and throw one of these lockers up front, then calibrate the speedo or is that just asking for trouble in a D 30?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would imagine that this would only be advised with a D 44 though right? Could you regear to say 4.88 and throw one of these lockers up front, then calibrate the speedo or is that just asking for trouble in a D 30?

Actually, 4.88 in a Dana 30 is a good ratio as it will still have a large enough pinion to not have to worry about it. The real problem is in running a non-selectable locker up front in general. This is a horrible idea especially if you ever run on snow or icy roads. Of course, a locker in a Dana 30 is just asking for a break and this will only be amplified with a non-selectable one especially if you're running bigger tires. If anything, I would recommend something like a TruTrac as it is a limited slip and will be much more forgiving and depending on who you talk to, is actually a benefit in snow and ice.

Having said all that, I personally would not throw anymore money into a Dana 30 or even a factory 44 front axle than I need to. It really is a waste and if anything, you should just play with what you got until you can afford a real upgrade like a ProRock 44.

UpsideUp

Yeah..that is my plan (PR44) but every once in a while I read these threads and I get all excited thinking it would be possible to have both axles locked. And as I have been saving my dollars and getting ready to regear, throw an ARB in the rear, and a twin ARB compressor in I still think about locking the front at the same time. Thanks for always grounding me with the great advice!

Rayz

i put a tru-trac and 4.88's in mine with the idea that when it fails i'll get the PR44..or in one to two years (whichever comes first.....:)

Back in late 2011 we sold a customer a Dana 60 with a Detroit in the rear and 488's. He used the procal to correct Gear ratio. And it went into limp mode . For months we tried to fix the issue and finally we thought it could be the locker messing with the vehicle speed sensors and sent him a ARB and it fixed the issue.

I can only imagine that the Detroit was creating issues telling the computer that the tires are going different speeds . We have just been very cautious since then letting all of our customers know to go with a selectable in the rear.

David

ZuidJK

Technically, they are correct but, you can bypass it by turning off your ESP. It's not a perfect solution but, you can make it work. I know that Dynatrac has done this on their current JK and ran the JKX with it but then, they did have to stop several times over the course of the week to reset things. So, I suppose it's probably more of a bad idea than good.

Ohhhh I c, ya I agree I woulda went with an ARB in the front at least. These Detroits are pretty scary in the snow as well.

croge17

I have Yukon grizzly locker I, the rear. It works but every now and then it will go to a semi limp mode. It won't let you shift with the tiptronic but will shift through every gear and lock the torque converter in every gear.

Edit this is on a 2013 JKU automatic.

Mikead40

Was the dynatrac JK a Rubicon - or did it have aftermarket axles??

I've been following this thread with some interest because my factory locker (13 JKU Rubicon) broke (it's stuck permanently on) and the dealership won't replace under warranty because I've regeared. The detoit seemed like the best option for me given it's durability and the fact that I know I would be able to learn to live with its quirks. However when I found those "quirks" included limp mode, I had to draw the line.

Anyway, my point in bringing this up again was that I just called Eaton and they said that they have NOT had any issues with the detroit in the rear of the 2012+ non-rubicon JKs, but that they haven't even released a detroit locker for the 2012+ rubicons because this ESP/Limp mode thing was a known issue. I was surprised by this - and honestly I'm not sure if I was understanding him correctly or not. I assume the ESP speed sensor etc is set up the same way regardless of which edition the JK is - so this doesn't make a ton of sense. The guy on the phone's tone of voice made it clear that I had asked enough questions so I didn't pursue the issue with him. He also said the he is not aware of any fix for the problem on the horizon - i.e. they likely will not make one for the rubicon 32 spline axle.

And now I'm at a loss for what to do with my rear locker...

ZuidJK

Was the dynatrac JK a Rubicon - or did it have aftermarket axles??

I've been following this thread with some interest because my factory locker (13 JKU Rubicon) broke (it's stuck permanently on) and the dealership won't replace under warranty because I've regeared. The detoit seemed like the best option for me given it's durability and the fact that I know I would be able to learn to live with its quirks. However when I found those "quirks" included limp mode, I had to draw the line.

Anyway, my point in bringing this up again was that I just called Eaton and they said that they have NOT had any issues with the detroit in the rear of the 2012+ non-rubicon JKs, but that they haven't even released a detroit locker for the 2012+ rubicons because this ESP/Limp mode thing was a known issue. I was surprised by this - and honestly I'm not sure if I was understanding him correctly or not. I assume the ESP speed sensor etc is set up the same way regardless of which edition the JK is - so this doesn't make a ton of sense. The guy on the phone's tone of voice made it clear that I had asked enough questions so I didn't pursue the issue with him. He also said the he is not aware of any fix for the problem on the horizon - i.e. they likely will not make one for the rubicon 32 spline axle.

And now I'm at a loss for what to do with my rear locker...

Honestly I would just go with an ARB. Even though more $, having a Detroit in the rear axle is kind of annoying. In situations where you need to make a tight turn the locker engages, they are very noisy, and even just the rear locker in the snow is a bit of a pain. When I have the time and $ I will definitely be switching to selectables, most likely ARB.

Mikead40

Honestly I would just go with an ARB. Even though more $, having a Detroit in the rear axle is kind of annoying. In situations where you need to make a tight turn the locker engages, they are very noisy, and even just the rear locker in the snow is a bit of a pain. When I have the time and $ I will definitely be switching to selectables, most likely ARB.

Thank you for your response.

I would love to go with an ARB - unfortunately, they don't make one for a 32-spline D44 axle - I would have to get a 35 spline axle in addition to the locker and air compressor. Given that I recently replaced my factory rear axle with an after market chromoly axle (bent flange on the factory one), I'm really looking for other options. Plus with a broken OEM front drive shaft and sector shaft in my recent history, I need to limit money going out or else I'll be needing a divorce lawyer on top of everything else :yup:
This is why the detroit was the best option I could think of...
So far it's looking like my only options are OEM replacement (at a ridiculous $1800+ price tag), Ox locker, ARB with a 35 spline axle, or park it for a while. I'm not finding a lot of consistent reviews of the Ox locker, so I'm skeptical...I may end up parked for a while.

Last edited:

ZuidJK

Thank you for your response.

I would love to go with an ARB - unfortunately, they don't make one for a 32-spline D44 axle - I would have to get a 35 spline axle in addition to the locker and air compressor. Given that I recently replaced my factory rear axle with an after market chromoly axle (bent flange on the factory one), I'm really looking for other options. Plus with a broken OEM front drive shaft and sector shaft in my recent history, I need to limit money going out or else I'll be needing a divorce lawyer on top of everything else :yup: This is why the detroit was the best option I could think of...
So far it's looking like my only options are OEM replacement (at a ridiculous $1600+ price tag), Ox locker, ARB with a 35 spline axle, or park it for a while. I'm not finding a lot of consistent review of the Ox locker, so I'm skeptical...I may end up parked for a while.

Yeah that's a shitty situation, and you know what if you can get around those issues and adjust your driving a bit to accommodate for the Detroit it'll do ok. I see your from Texas so the snowfall might not be an issue for you (which is the biggest one for me). The locker does perform quite well offroad I must say. Just the on-road characteristics of it turned me off because my JK is my daily driver.

Mikead40

Yeah that's a shitty situation, and you know what if you can get around those issues and adjust your driving a bit to accommodate for the Detroit it'll do ok. I see your from Texas so the snowfall might not be an issue for you (which is the biggest one for me). The locker does perform quite well offroad I must say. Just the on-road characteristics of it turned me off because my JK is my daily driver.

Right...the problem is I can't even get a detroit. They don't make one for a 32 spilne axle

Top Bottom