Steam out of grille

Bryan__howell

Hey guys, got a weird smell today as I stopped and turned off my jk. I realized there is white steam/smoke coming out of my right headlight area/ grille, I know I have a slight coolant leak, but I'm not sure if this is a simple problem, or the beginning of a bigger one.

scull20

Was it a "sweet" smell (a sign of a coolant leak)? Also, was it raining or snowing when you saw the steam...it could have been water hitting your radiator something else hot near the motor and turning to steam.

...I'm leaning more towards the coolant leak because you said you noticed a smell.

Take a look under the hood and check you upper and lower radiator hose lines for leaks and look around the radiator for leaks as well.

scull20

Small leaks can be a pest to find. Did you check your coolant level to see if it's low? Also when you turn your heat on is it still blowing hot?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have the same issue. Only happens when it's cold and never smells. I'm too lazy to figure out what it is.

jeeeep

Hooked
you can use a black light to find where it's leaking.

I've used it to find leaks in the past. All lights off, start it up and let it idle and antifreeze will show up under black light. Can also be done with the motor off to find where the antifreeze has dried up and stained.

Bryan__howell

I found the leak! It's getting worse. It appears to be this little hose. Any ideas on how to go about fixing it? The only thing that's stopping me from taking it off and tightening it is the possibility of letting air in the system. Iv done that before, and it cause my jeep to over hear a lot until I burped the radiator. Iv attached some pics ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420853554.430136.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420853594.720601.jpg

Looks like the hose and clamp have slid back from where it should be. I would replace the hose just to be safe. Slacking on a $15 hose and having it fail a couple hours from home is not worth the risk!

Top Bottom