Melted wires

Mikead40

So I'll start by saying that I'm completely new to working on my own jeep and am trying to learn. I recently tried installing some rock lights using the wayalife writeup. I used the platinum burner LED race lights (pic below). I used the switch that came with them since I don't have a daystar panel. Everything went great and they worked great for a few days. I went to put on my lights today and saw smoke behind the switch and then from under the hood. The wire from the battery (with the inline fuse) was melted. The fuse was not blown. Also, the wire going from the switch to the lights was melted right near the switch. All the other wires looked fine. Other than not using the daystar switch & and soldering on an 18g wire to the 22g wire coming off the battery (all the wires that came with the lights are 22g) so I would have enough to reach the switch in the passenger compartment, I wired these lights exactly as the write up showed.

Any ideas what could have caused this??

Also, I want to add a set for the rear, but want to use just one switch. From reading the writeup thread, I know I need to use relay - my two questions are where do most people put this relay and what amp relay would be reasonable for these LEDs (I cant find the wattage for these lights anywhere so I can't do the math - so I guess I'm wondering what is an average wattage for small LEDs)

Thanks in advance for any help you guy might be able to give, I really appreciate it

ATTACH]118168[/ATTACH]

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420683200.701803.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420683052.049878.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420683052.049878.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Mitrig

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420684086.875589.jpg installed these today on a buddies yj all these leds were about 30w the drivers were 55 we used 16 guage wire for the whole set up. Also did my light bar which is 4 55w spots and flood. Plus all of my lower light and fogs, using 16 guage. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420684216.854324.jpg ran the light bar set up running a direct wiring setup and grouping as a group to the frame. My dad who
Is a retired electrical engineer and he help
Set everything up. Everything was wired simple
Except for my lower 4 on my bumper which I ran on a relay to reduce electrical strain then linked them to a fuse which runs to a switch that can shut off 2 of the 6 lights depending on why my electrical monitor system says the draw is currently at.

What is the wattage of those it should say on the package, also did you use a fuse able link, fuse, and did you splice them or wire them independently

gtony12

Caught the Bug
1st, whats the rating on the switch? when your lights were on did you feel the switch? was it hot?
2nd. Need to find out how much amps these lights pull? or the watts?
3rd. 22 gauge seem small. I have 2"x3" led lights and each pull 26w and I use 14 gauge or 16 gauge
4th. I personally would use a relay. 30amps

usually if the wire grounds out it will blow a fuse pretty fast. The last time I fired wire was I didn't use a relay and the amps pulled by the light was more then the switch can handle.

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I installed mine per Eddie's write up using Daystar switch and panel. I also below battery terminals for additional accessories. It has been on and used for quite sometime with no problem.

battery terminals.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I am going to say had a wire rubbing or grounded out is the cause. Years ago I had a Mini Cooper and the positive cable ran near the exhaust. Somehow the wire touched the exhaust and the whole wire completely melted like yours. Smoke was coming out and the whole sheath of the wire melted.

Last edited:

Mitrig

Man, looks like good rig could use some more lights.... :yup: :idontknow:

Ahahha you can never have enough lights. We as a group are building up expedition vehicles for up north so when the majority of the day is dark we need them. Ahah. Different type of wheeling different setups I guess eh?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Ahahha you can never have enough lights. We as a group are building up expedition vehicles for up north so when the majority of the day is dark we need them. Ahah. Different type of wheeling different setups I guess eh?

Frank is just jealous and wishes he had more lights when he wheels on the moon.

Mikead40

thanks for the responses - I guess I'll just try wiring it again and will use a 15 amp relay for the second set of lights (Still not sure how I'm supposed to run 2 wires - one for the front set of lights, one for the back set - off one post on the relay...). The 15 amp relay is basically a wild ass guess because I can't for the life of me find the wattage or amp draw of these things (checked package, optronics website etc).

Hopefully my Jeep won't catch on fire :eek:

Anyway, thanks again for the help :beer:

Last edited:

Mikead40

Check out the Waytek Wire DIY relay as a way to incorporate relays and switches.

R/
Will

I spent about an hour reading over that thread...I appreciate you referencing it. Maybe I'll get there someday, but it's a bit over my head right now LoL:blush:

Mitrig

Frank is just jealous and wishes he had more lights when he wheels on the moon.

😂 the moon! We would get 1000000km per ounce of fuel and he would still complain wheeling in space ahah

Hope these lights get wired up right! Can't wait to see pics

gtony12

Caught the Bug
thanks for the responses - I guess I'll just try wiring it again and will use a 15 amp relay for the second set of lights (Still not sure how I'm supposed to run 2 wires - one for the front set of lights, one for the back set - off one post on the relay...). The 15 amp relay is basically a wild ass guess because I can't for the life of me find the wattage or amp draw of these things (checked package, optronics website etc).

Hopefully my Jeep won't catch on fire :eek:

Anyway, thanks again for the help :beer:

I would just install a 30amp and Pep boys carries the relays for lights for about $12.00. Yes you can run all four lights from one relay. Run the higher amp relay this way if you ever change to a different lights that are higher amp you don't have too replace the existing relay you just installed. If that makes sense
http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=379256

Last edited:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Looks they can possibly be 55w lights but I need part # from box to research for sure. If this is true your looking at 18amp pull. This would be all 4 light on same circuit.

Last edited:

Mikead40

Looks they can possibly be 55w lights but I need part # from box to research for sure. If this is true your looking at 18amp pull. This would be all 4 light on same circuit.

The part number is LS204RW...If you can find the info on these I'd be amazed (and appreciative) - but you're right, I'm going to go with the 30 amp relay to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all your help :beer:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Ok let me see what i can find out. But using the 30amp or even a 40 amp relay i think would be best. Also i would use 16 gauge wire or even 14. Just my two cents

Top Bottom