Clunk sound at low speeds.

scull20

Hey gang, I've been noticing a clunk sound coming from what sounds like the rear of my JK. (2014 JKUR, 11k miles.) It started last night when I left work to go home and I heard it again this morning when driving to work.

I am unsure if it is related to the cold...but it's been in the teens and single digits here in NJ the past 24-48 hours....and it was relatively prior to that and last week.

It only happens at low speeds (5-10 mph), intermittently, both when slowing down and speeding up.

It is not a continuous clunk-clunk-clunk...just one and done, until I slow down or speed up again in the 5-10 mph range. No grinding, squealing or screeching either.

I feel a trip the dealer coming on...but I was curious if anyone had any idea of what this could be.

Thanks!

-Ryan

StrizzyChris

Usually a single clunk sound, especially when there's a shift in the vehicle like braking or speeding up, is something loose. I'd first start by checking torque on every suspension bolt like control arms, drag link, trackbar, etc. Also inspect the suspension brackets for fatigue or cracks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey gang, I've been noticing a clunk sound coming from what sounds like the rear of my JK. (2014 JKUR, 11k miles.) It started last night when I left work to go home and I heard it again this morning when driving to work.

I am unsure if it is related to the cold...but it's been in the teens and single digits here in NJ the past 24-48 hours....and it was relatively prior to that and last week.

It only happens at low speeds (5-10 mph), intermittently, both when slowing down and speeding up.

It is not a continuous clunk-clunk-clunk...just one and done, until I slow down or speed up again in the 5-10 mph range. No grinding, squealing or screeching either.

I feel a trip the dealer coming on...but I was curious if anyone had any idea of what this could be.

Thanks!

-Ryan

A single clunk as you have described is typically caused by a suspension component shifting. You probably have a bolt that is not tightened to torque spec.

scull20

...well as it turns out the clunk had something to do with the fact that I folded my seats down and had a full bottle of seltzer that froze rolling around on the floor under the seat.

Here's the culprit! Hah!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420762390.346634.jpg

Thanks again for the insight everyone. I'll know what to look for in the future should I check and I don't have anything rolling around in the back lol.

-Ryan

tuna

Haha, easy fix.

Reminds me of when people have a new car and complain of a tapping/rattle sound coming from the engine of their new baby. 99% of the time it's the new plates they just put on vibrating against the body. :whew:

Tree Frog

Seriously,
I highly recommend you guys spend some time and go over every nut and bolt you can find on your Jeep.
Check the torque on everything.

I dont know if mine was built late in the day by a bunch of little girls or if the air compressor for the impact guns was running low on pressure but I had so many loose and low torqued nuts and bolts it was almost scary.
Had this clunk sound coming from under the rear over the smallest bump. Turns out the rear track bar was very loose. This was at 650 miles.

Said it before, Jeeps like you to get under there and rub their belly's. It get you in touch with your Jeep. Makes it where you can hopefully find something wrong before you are out in the middle of nowhere and something breaks or falls off.

If you off-road hard you should check your rig every time you get back.

A torque wrench is cheap compared to something getting effed up. Pain in the butt, no time, dont want to do it. Ugh huh.

rogerk93

Seriously,
I highly recommend you guys spend some time and go over every nut and bolt you can find on your Jeep.
Check the torque on everything.

I dont know if mine was built late in the day by a bunch of little girls or if the air compressor for the impact guns was running low on pressure but I had so many loose and low torqued nuts and bolts it was almost scary.
Had this clunk sound coming from under the rear over the smallest bump. Turns out the rear track bar was very loose. This was at 650 miles.

Said it before, Jeeps like you to get under there and rub their belly's. It get you in touch with your Jeep. Makes it where you can hopefully find something wrong before you are out in the middle of nowhere and something breaks or falls off.

If you off-road hard you should check your rig every time you get back.

A torque wrench is cheap compared to something getting effed up. Pain in the butt, no time, dont want to do it. Ugh huh.

I second this. I found a few of my stock control arms bolts were very loose when I was installing lift. That could have explained the shaking when hitting bumps.

Top Bottom