Help on ARB Twin Air Compressor Install

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Ok guys i have been looking at all the air compressor threads and looking up pictures online. and as helpful as it all is, i am stuck as to what to do/ or how to wire it up to the battery. I have not yet tried to install it because i want to make sure i have the basic knowledge of how it all goes together before i get stuck in the middle.

so here is the problem: when it comes to the wiring harness supplies in the kit there are two very thick red wires. i think i know what to do with 1 but not the other.
ARB.jpg
ok here is what i think needs to be done. correct me if i am off:
thick black wire goes to Negative battery terminal
small black wire is ground
now help me with the red wires

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Blacks are ground red is hot. Are you running it to a switch? Small black is probably switch ground and reds are compressor power and switch power.

Ok guys i have been looking at all the air compressor threads and looking up pictures online. and as helpful as it all is, i am stuck as to what to do/ or how to wire it up to the battery. I have not yet tried to install it because i want to make sure i have the basic knowledge of how it all goes together before i get stuck in the middle.

so here is the problem: when it comes to the wiring harness supplies in the kit there are two very thick red wires. i think i know what to do with 1 but not the other.
View attachment 118380
ok here is what i think needs to be done. correct me if i am off:
thick black wire goes to Negative battery terminal
small black wire is ground
now help me with the red wires

Can you show a picture of the of the twin compressor.

My thought is they are the power wires from the compressor to get the power.

I would be sure to put a relay into the system

Post up some more pics

Last edited:
If you have an SPOD, its so simple to wire up, otherwise, ARB's install instructions are pretty clear.....

Hard to tell exactly what you got there tho as I cannot see the entire harness or where its coming out from.

Can you take a shot of the entire wiring harness or where its coming out from?

Best of luck with your build.

Last edited:

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Blacks are ground red is hot. Are you running it to a switch? Small black is probably switch ground and reds are compressor power and switch power.
Yes i will be running it to a switch, but there is a separate wiring harness for that.

Can you show a picture of the of the twin compressor.

My thought is they are the power wires from the compressor to get the power.

I would be sure to put a relay into the system

Post up some more pics
these wires are for power to the compressor only. there is a separate wiring harness for the switch.
I will post up some more picks when i get home, this is all i had while i was thinking about it at work.

You can figure out almost anything thru Google.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/a...all-writeup-and-pictures-included-134883.html

If you have an SPOD, its so simple to wire up, otherwise, ARB's install instructions are pretty clear.....

Best of luck with your build.
I do not have an SPOD. and what instructions, do i really have to read those :thinking: just kidding. I glanced over them but still it wasn't making much sense to me. i am a visual kind of guy.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
here are a couple more photos that i think i have questions on but also think i figured most of it out. again please correct me if i am wrong

here is a photo of how (i believe) it is all connected
ARB1.jpg

the 2 red wires receive separate eye terminals but are both placed on the Positive (+) battery terminal?
since im only running 12V vehicle/system then i connect both the black wires (small and large) to the same eye terminals then connect to the Negative (-) battery Terminal
ARB.jpg

that part i believe i have figured out. here is the part i am still confused with even with the pictured diagram.

ARB3.jpg
what/where do i connect the red and blue wire to here? this is the wiring loom that runs to the switches.
-the directions say the Red is connected to ignition and blue is to dash illumination. Have no idea what this means...
swtiches.jpg

last question:
i do not have air lockers and will only be activating the compressor for filling my tires. i will be connecting the "insulation Switch" correct? and leaving the other two (switch 1 and Switch 2) alone?
ARB5.jpg

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
Here you go.

THis is the installation instructions. Both reds go to the battery as you can see in the wiring diagram. Look at the last page....

https://www.arb.com.au/media/products/air-lockers/3-06.pdf

Thank you for uploading this. yes it is very helpful and included with the direction, but i am still a little confused as to where something go and to what. Thank you for all the help, if you could look at my last post and help me again i would appreciate it! :beer:

alanaut

Where you were only 2 years later!

Thank you for uploading this. yes it is very helpful and included with the direction, but i am still a little confused as to where something go and to what. Thank you for all the help, if you could look at my last post and help me again i would appreciate it! :beer:

Hey M_Savage! I'm glad I stumbled on this post. I am in the same place you were only 2 years later. Did you ever get this figured out? I have spent a weekend or two trying to myself. Literally, all I have to do is wire things and I am done.

Care to share some sage advice or pics to help make my life easier. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Hey M_Savage! I'm glad I stumbled on this post. I am in the same place you were only 2 years later. Did you ever get this figured out? I have spent a weekend or two trying to myself. Literally, all I have to do is wire things and I am done.

Care to share some sage advice or pics to help make my life easier. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

What's your question?

As far as the large red wires, both go to the positive terminal. Both blacks go to the negative terminal.

As far as the red and blue small wires, red is what triggers the power on, I hooked them right to the battery so I can use the compressor even if ignition is off. The small blue wire is just to allow the switch to illuminate. I left it disconnected.

BVPE

My Solution to your issue....

ARB.jpg
Marked up ARB wiring diagram. No air locker utilization. No desire to have the ARB isolation rocker switch illuminated when the lights are on. I am mounting the switch under the passenger seat on 2016 JKUR HR.

IMG_1283.jpg
Final wiring shown. Small blue wire with white stripe will be cut and taped to the wire loom that you see.

WJCO

Meme King
Marked up ARB wiring diagram. No air locker utilization. No desire to have the ARB isolation rocker switch illuminated when the lights are on. I am mounting the switch under the passenger seat on 2016 JKUR HR.

Final wiring shown. Small blue wire with white stripe will be cut and taped to the wire loom that you see.

You can also just plug that connector in and bundle up the unused locker wires and the isolation switch will still work. You can wire that small red wire directly to a power source without splicing into the ARB wire loom. I ran this setup fine prior to locker solenoids.

0522170848.jpg

0522170850.jpg

Top Bottom