Drag link issues

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, didn't see the clip but, if the tie rod ends are "rotating", that's totally normal. If you are seeing shifting either side to side or up and down at the tie rod end, it's probably worn out.

Txjkjpr

To me it looks like the rod end is shot. If it is the stock drag link they have a plastic cup inside the joint that wears out. Looks like a good time to upgrade. With that much movement and the nut end isn't moving that would be my best guess.

rinkishjk

It's shot. I would check the pitman arm end also. Your best bet is to get a new drag link assembly.

Txjkjpr

Thanks guys, thats what I was fearing, guess a stronger drag link is in my future.

Get one with replaceable ends. Synergy, Currie and I am sure others have ends that can be replaced without replacing the whole arm. I'd also look at doing the tie rod as well. Be sure to check the ball joints. I just did most of those myself.

AlwaysCrawling

Get one with replaceable ends. Synergy, Currie and I am sure others have ends that can be replaced without replacing the whole arm. I'd also look at doing the tie rod as well. Be sure to check the ball joints. I just did most of those myself.

I'll probably go with Synergy because that's what my tie rod is. Just replaced my entire front axle last month so the ball joints should be fine. I'll replace it myself looks simple enough let me know if you have any tips. Thanks!

Txjkjpr

It is pretty easy to do. Take some good measurements before you break the old one free and transfer to the new link. I went with Synergy as well. If you do a top steer you need to add a Track Bar relocate. If you don't change I would recommend getting a 90 degree zerk fitting, otherwise it is a tight squeeze to grease it as it sits really close to the tie rod end.

jeeeep

Hooked
also double check your track bar at the axle mount, it looked like what mine was doing a while back.

tuna

I'll probably go with Synergy because that's what my tie rod is. Just replaced my entire front axle last month so the ball joints should be fine. I'll replace it myself looks simple enough let me know if you have any tips. Thanks!

I installed a Synergy drag link a month or two ago, the only awkward thing about it was removing the stock pitman arm balljoint end if it's been in there a while, since you need to "pull" it down out, and the taper can be a bitch to come out sometimes. Hammering it didn't work (and you have no access from above), we ended up hammering a pickle fork into the gap and then levering up on the rest of the draglink to pull the actual tapered end out.

If you live in an area that gets winter salted roads I would not go with Synergy. The adjustment will sieze after one winter.

Honestly, I would just get a new stock end and/or bar. They are way cheaper, and it's not a tough replacement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom